My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,

I just got through re-building a STIHL 029 for a buddy of mine. The saw was purchased brand new by his grandfather, worked hard for several years, and then given to him twelve years ago. He has used it regular and kept it in good shape but last fall he noticed it was not oiling and really down on power. He brought it to me and when I tore it down the piston and cylinder were badly scorched. He wanted it re-built and I talked him into doing the 039 conversion because the saw had already been swapped over to pull a 3/8" chain and he had just bought a new 20" bar. So I ordered an 039 cylinder kit, oil pump, oil line, pickup, new fuel line, fuel filter, tank vent, (was missing) spark plug, and a new 33RS72 full chisel chain. He insisted on all genuine STIHL parts so the parts tab was $375.00 but I did it as a favor so no labor. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, I had to special order the ring compressor and it took over a month to get whereas the parts were there within three days. Well, I finally was able to build it up Friday, although I must admit I went a little overboard and cleaned EVERYTHING in the parts washer, and put a pretty good port job on the muffler, :fing32: but when I got it all together, fired it up, tuned in the carb, set the RPM's at 12,800 with a tach, even I was surprised. I have worked on a-lot of 039's/MS 390's as well as selling several of the new MS 391's but this thing is just an ANIMAL! I guess porting the muffler really made a difference because I made a test cut in a piece of three foot diameter Tulip Poplar and it did not even grunt! I have run some MS 440's that didn't seem as strong as that saw is. I took it back to him at work, he is a mechanic at the local Chevrolet dealership, and when I started that saw up everyone had to come and see it. I had one guy tell me he had two STIHL's that he wanted me to put the fine tune on for him, a MS 180 MINI BOSS and a MS 460 MAGNUM (quite a little gap there, isn't it?) and another guy has an 041 FARM BOSS he wants completely restored. So it looks like my bench is going to be pretty full for the next couple of weeks.

Joe

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Great job:howdy::fing32:

Remember once you start modding and porting, you are getting very close to acquiring a horrible disease known as CAD, (chainsaw acquisition disorder).:dunno::trink40:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts