My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
I have a Craftsman GT6000, which is just like many riding mowers with the 3/4” front spindles.
— My question is: What are the front rim zerks for, as the rims merely use bushings not bearings❓
— Both the outer and inner races are closed with the huge flat washers, and it appears to me that if I do grease the zerks, it won’t do anything.
— I usually just grease the spindle by hand, without using the zerks, because the rim rides on the spindle.
— Again, it doesn’t appear that the grease could even get out of the bushings…
— Is the zerk just there incase the bushings are replaced by bearings, or does the grease exit the inner washer face somehow❓
— Again, the rim rests on the fixed bushings and the bushings don’t spin freely, so I just don’t think that using the zerks will accomplish anything.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated 👍
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Iris Automotive design
Automotive tire Door Rim Automotive wheel system Wheel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind, I figured it out…The zerk tap on the inner raceway of the rim was painted over and the threaded hole wasn’t visible. Just punched it through with a pick and voila❗

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

Believe it or not, bushings are bearings. Your car's engine uses bushings for the crank and camshaft journals and they also need lubrication or they will wear quickly or, more likely, seize.

The same applies to the front spindles of your tractor. A shot or two of grease in those zerks periodically will help them have a longer and happier life. The bushing may be fixed in the wheel hub, but it should spin on the spindle shaft.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tudor said it all !! .....But, I'll add a couple more thought's .....the front wheel bushing and plastic sleeve, are adequate for the lawn mower use on a small property . Over time with the old problem's of ....HMMM I CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN I LAST GREASED this puppy......or when the zerk fitting stop's taking grease, or when one add's the 42 to 48 inch snowblower to the front of the machine for the 4 th winter ....Well the front "bushing wear and the holes go oval and that plastic sleeve just disappears, the steering now has a lot of slop side to side, and most of all it is just hard to steer the puppy .
Well then it's time for the up grade to the roller bearing kit that cost's 20 buck's and makes the tractor roll a lot smoother. The bushings knock out with a long punch and a B.F.H. You can then swab out all the grease , which if you've actually greased it regularly should have the cavity of the wheel full . To date , I've not found a tractor with a full wheel cavity from greasing ! Anyway the roller bearings fit in the hubs ,if the spindle hasn't gone oval where the old bushings rode , your good to go ! reassembly is the reverse of removal ! tool's required for the change over ...hammer ,punch , flat screw driver for the wheel retaining clip !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts