My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove what I assumed was a roll pin holding the lower part of the hydro control. It didn’t budge when I tried to drive it out, and it just dulled bits when I tried to drill it out. Then I looked up what it was called. You guys that managed to get this out - how the heck did you do it?
ron

·
Super Moderator
23,132 Posts
Penetrating oil, 40 oz ball pein hammer, correct size pin punch, and a whole bunch of words that are not allowed on MTF.

Failing that, careful application of a cutting torch to lance out the pin without harming the shaft or the lever. It can be done, but not by the faint of heart or shaky of hand. There is a very specific technique that needs to be used.

Reactions: Father Deerest

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Try thermal shock. Heat with a torch and spray cold water on it a few times. Kroil or PB Blaster for penetrating oil.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Tudor & VTXRider. Sounds like more of a chore than I want to get into right now. It isn’t a necessity - I intended to try to take out some slop in the shaft but it’s not high enough priority at the moment. I will keep your methods in mind tho in case I need to proceed.

thanks, ron

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
You will wish you removed it and put some grease or at least oil on the pump shaft. You have access to it now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VTX - are you referring to the spring pin on the hydro control? Sounds more like you are talking about the U-joints on the hydro drive shaft in my other thread/question. I do intend to get that off now that you guys have given me some direction. I’ll either regrease the needle bearings or get new ones, depending on their condition.
If you’re talking about the shaft that my foot control conversion rotates (with the spiral spring pin), then I’m kinda lost.
Thanks for your knowledge. I’ve discovered there’s a handful of really helpful and knowledgeable guys on the forum (you and Tudor here) that I’m always glad to see input from. The small engines forum has a handful also.
ron

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
VTX - are you referring to the spring pin on the hydro control? Sounds more like you are talking about the U-joints on the hydro drive shaft in my other thread/question. I do intend to get that off now that you guys have given me some direction. I’ll either regrease the needle bearings or get new ones, depending on their condition.
If you’re talking about the shaft that my foot control conversion rotates (with the spiral spring pin), then I’m kinda lost.
Thanks for your knowledge. I’ve discovered there’s a handful of really helpful and knowledgeable guys on the forum (you and Tudor here) that I’m always glad to see input from. The small engines forum has a handful also.
ron
Yes Ron, same process to break the rust bond.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts