1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
46 Posts
i think it is a good idea-these fumoto drain valves have been around at least 30 yrs and by design ,looks like accidental opening just about impossible.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think it is a good idea-these fumoto drain valves have been around at least 30 yrs and by design ,looks like accidental opening just about impossible.
You can purchase a safety clip that fits around the lever which prevents the accidental opening of the valve.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have seen them on cars and trucks over the years working at dealerships. I have also heard of some bad stories on cars that are low and snaping them off pulling in some parking lots. and heard the same with trucks that go off road.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You can purchase a safety clip that fits around the lever which prevents the accidental opening of the valve.
That is what I had.

Its a great setup, but it worried me that they had to come out with this clip. Makes me think that they had issues with opening.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I had.

Its a great setup, but it worried me that they had to come out with this clip. Makes me think that they had issues with opening.

From the Fumoto web site:
Warning:
For users under extreme conditions:
If you are using the Engine Oil Drain Valve on off-road vehicles such as farm tractors and logging equipment under extreme environment (i.e. corn fields, brush areas), it is recommended that a hose clip as shown below be used for extra safety and security. The hose clip, which can be purchased at any hardware stores, will firmly keep the lever in the locked position at all times.

·
Registered
523 Posts
From the Fumoto web site:
Warning:
For users under extreme conditions:
If you are using the Engine Oil Drain Valve on off-road vehicles such as farm tractors and logging equipment under extreme environment (i.e. corn fields, brush areas), it is recommended that a hose clip as shown below be used for extra safety and security. The hose clip, which can be purchased at any hardware stores, will firmly keep the lever in the locked position at all times.
I had one on my Avalanche with the safety clip and never had an issue... :fing32:

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Whats wrong with just turning out a drain plug?
To me it looks nice and fast and all but I would never in a hundred years risk it on any of my vehicles......thats just me though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
one advantage of the Fumoto valve is a hose can be connected to the valve to conduct the drained oil to another location-nice for vehicles where obstuctions near the drain plug such as a 4x4 axle may prevent"clean"draining of the oil.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The VW's in our families all have these. Advantages: don't get spray of oil when you pull the plug all over your hands, don't loose the drain plug in the catch pan, can get an oil sample easier if needed, cleaner, less change of some flunky working at an oil change plate to mess with the threads.

I had a car that the threads were helicoiled as a flunky had ruined the threads.

The newer VW's in the family have metal belly pans to protect the underside (OEM is plastic). They all have cutouts to reach the valve and a hole further back with a hose sticking out the bottom of the pan. OEM style is you need to remove the whole pan each time. Metal belly pan give you a hole but you need a deflector or it flows into the pan rather then out the small hole. The oil filter is top side. No issues on any of ours.

Funny thing is when my father see's the gasket ring for the drain plug charged to his VW when he tells them before the oil change and then has to remind them after the change as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Use it on three cars and will soon add to two more cars. Never had a problem. My buddy had the best quote: "I don't understand why these aren't standard equipment on all cars". I never bought a safety clip either. No need. These things aren't going to accidentally open. They make oil changes quicker and neater. And if you accidentally overfill your engine with oil, just flip the lever and drain out a few ounces. You'll wonder why you waited to buy one after you get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts