My Tractor Forum banner

"66" 110 RF rebuild

125K views 996 replies 56 participants last post by  KWDAILYD 
#1 ·
I had started a thread awhile back asking questions about the 110 but thought I would start a new one now that I will be tearing it down and getting something done. The one pic was of the last time it ran back in March and I finally made room in the garage today to get back to tinkering with it. The left side of the work bench is full of everything I've taken off it so far. and some of the progress.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My son made me a new exhaust shield from stainless and I made a polished stainless stack with a baffle for it. The stack needs to be cut down. I bought it long and tried to get someone to bend it but couldn't so I bought a 90 deg bend and welded the two. The stack is 1.5" stainless tubing.

Attachments

Reactions: wachuko
#3 ·
Larry is this going to be a race? :) Mine has slowed to a C...R...A...W...L.... lots of other life events :(

I can't remember, did you decide if you were going to rebuild the engine? How are you going to take it all apart at one time then start painting and rebuilding or are you going to take it apart and repaint as you go?

Either way I am looking forward to your progress :)

#4 ·
Can't let you tear a 110 apart and not get notifications what would I possibly do at work all day:dunno: besides someone has to tear one apart hint hint nudge nudge mr B :biglaugh: I know I know life it really screws up the tractoring.So tear away

#5 ·
HEY! I've been tearing LOTS of them apart! I've got two torn apart right now! Just, um... the putting back TOGETHER has been a bit of an issue... :)

Lead on, Larry! I'll be watching with interest!

#6 ·
Uhh yea yours are under 2 foot of snow :sidelaugh hey honey I'm going to dig to Wally and instal the motor can you take pics honey honey hey where did you go!

#7 ·
I'll have you know, I can see ALMOST all of the tarp covering them! :)
(It's kinda like waiting for the ice to go out off the lakes in the spring up here!)

Sent from the MTF Free App

#8 ·
I think the weather is going to be a factor again this week. No race Kyle, I'll gladly let you lead the way. I think my plan right now is to clean and paint anything I take off. It had fuel issues last time I ran it. I have a new sediment bowl and fuel line waiting to go on. The generator is apart and I have new bearings and brushes for it. I have new wiring waiting to go on. I want to paint the generator housing, gas tank and straps, battery housing and covers I have off and reassemble it and make sure everything works well. Don't want to pull the engine and paint it only to find out it has issues so the plan is to change the fluids and use it a little before I get too involved. I think I will also pull the steering column out as long as I can get to it and see what it needs before I put anything back together for now. The steering wheel needs repairing also. I have another set of front wheels and the rear wheels I got from you Kyle that will be going to the blaster as soon as it gets warm enough to paint. One of my neighbors has access to a commercial blaster at his work and said he would blast anything I needed done. Once i know it's mechanically sound and dependable I may just tear into it all at once and get it done.

#9 ·
Your plan sounds a lot like mine. While mine runs great it is burning some oil so it is in for a rebuild. If I need a new piston, I think I am going to spend a little more and go the OEM Kohler route (maybe).

With your generator housing how are you going to clean the delco tag? Pretty much all my brass tags on the attachments are covered with paint as well so this will be a reoccurring issue.

Right now my biggest fear is the transaxle. It was rebuild a couple of years ago so I don't know if I need to but at the same time I want to do a bang up job so...... A decision to make later....l

#10 ·
Mine smokes a little on start up Kyle and I haven't run it enough at this point to know about oil consumption. I should run a compression test I guess. What I am hoping is I can get by with the motor for this summer and rebuild it next winter.

#11 ·
Well Kyle, looks like you will get the jump on me after all. Been over doing it th past few weeks with doing the shed and moving stuff in there. Been hurting pretty bad for the past couple of days. Going to see the surgeon tomorrow, I have two hernia's.

#12 ·
Hopefully you can get the hernia's fixed in short order! I remember you mentioned that you had one a month or so ago.

Do you know how long you will be "Sittin on the couch" (that is what my father called it, he got his hernia while getting bucked off a horse)?

In the mean time I will tell you what I am doing or did wrong!

#13 ·
I will find out tomorrow. Probably anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, depending on how bad it is when he gets in there. The umbilical hernia isn't too bad yet but the other one not so sure. When I went to the doc last time he said it looked like I had maybe pulled a muscle in my groin but now I have a bulge in my lower left abdomen and it keeps getting more painful. I'm down for the count anyway so I need to get it fixed so I'm up and running again as soon as possible. I'll post tomorrow when I know more.

#14 ·
I just had an umbilical hernia fixed in November I was ok after about a week or so no lifting for 6 weeks tho having a nurse for a wife is good/bad no cheating but that's probably good just frustrating.

#15 ·
That's the part that will be hard, not doing anything for 6 to 8 weeks. My son had the same inguinal hernia surgery that I think I'm in for. His 45 min. procedure turned into 3 hours with 3 months off work. It was worse than they thought after going in.
Everytime I see your Avatar it makes me long for the clay oval racing. Is there a lift bar on your car or sheer torque lifting the left front?

#17 ·
Torque. Car is hooked up weights all transferred to the right rear and its picking up the front end. It's great :fing32:unless you lift then that RR digs in and you go for a ride.:fing20:

#18 ·
Thanks LTG. Just got back from the doc and surgery is scheduled for next Wed. morning. Two hernia's to repair, an umbilical and an inguinal. The second one is the one giving me all the pain right now and will need mesh. The abdominal lining is pushing through the first layer of muscle and causing me all the pain and the buldge I can see. He said on the bright side mine will be easier than most as there is no fat to deal with. I have lost 35 lbs recently.

#19 ·
Well I'm probably doin a little more than I'm suppose to at this point. Hope I don't set myself back but I am going stir crazy so I took more stuff off the 110 today to send to the sandblaster.

Attachments

#28 ·
Looks like you've made some good progress for somebody who's not suppose to be making THAT type of progress. It looks like the front tire on the left in the picture had some stop leak in it, that stuff is a nightmare to get off of...well, everything. I had that in one of my 80 cart tires and it took forever to get that off my hands and everything else I touched. :duh:

Well good luck on the progress of both situations.

David

#20 ·
:fing32: most of that looks relatively light except if you dismounted the tires. I say no problem as long as it doesn't hurt my nurse wife kinda flipped out but :dunno: so I just won't show her anymore lol

#21 · (Edited)
#22 · (Edited)
Ok well I'll change this Since mr B moved his ramblings lol and now it made absolutely no sense. So just take it easy don't re hurt yourself :fing32:

#23 ·
Tried to look at the grinder video, guess it's not up yet.
I don't think I hurt anything today but I think I did over do it a bit. Went out in the Mustang for a few hours then worked on the 110 RF for a bit. I was careful but I am hurting a little this evening. Sitting here with an ice pack on as I type this. Didn't take a pain pill till 5:30 this evening. That's a first for the last 8 days. Not going to be so aggresive tomorrow.
Went to the doc this morning and he said the pain should be completely gone in another two weeks. H said I could drive and get a little active, just no lifting and if it hurts, quit. He said the danger comes in a few eeks when the pain is gone and I think I can do something I shouldn't yet.

#24 ·
Larry, I am about 3 bricks shy of a load..... I apologize for writing all that in your thread. I was not even paying attention and just started typing. I will go in an clean that up and move it over to my thread :):fing20:

#25 ·
I didn't think anything of it Kyle, but you will probably get more responce on your own thread. Do you recognize the rear wheels in the pic? Not only am I getting everything blasted free but it will come back primered also. What a deal!!!

#26 ·
What is the best way to finish coat the wheels? mount the tires first or wait.

#30 ·
I would mount them first, take a deck of (Dollar General) $1 cards and slide them around the tire under the rim edge, paint, pull out the cards and inflate. Easiest & best looking way in my book.

#27 ·
Well I guess there is a good reason you guys wives didn't approve of my activity. I've been paying for it the last two days. Don't think I did any damage, just made it hurt more again. I'll try a little again next week.

#33 ·
:thThumbsU I have heard of that also. Thanks.

#34 ·
Thats how I do the decals I want to keep when I am painting.A light coat of vaseline,spray over it and wipe off after it dries a couple days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.