My Tractor Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mower removal and install BX2660

29K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  JRC0528 
#1 ·
Just bought a new Kubota BX2660, can anyone give me any helpful tips as to remove and reinstall of the 60'' MMM ??

#2 ·
Re: Mower removal and install

I'd start by reading the manual to get the basic procedure down. A few things I do that are not in the manual are that I drive my back wheels onto a 2x6 to gain an inch+ of clearance then use the FEL if on the tractor to raise up the front wheels a few inches. Also, when I turn the gauge wheels 90*, I use the lower hole in the back two wheels which drops the back of the mower to less than an inch off the ground. (You may note there are two holes at the 90* setting on the gauge wheel axles.) I use the top holes on the front wheels since if I use the lower hole, the middle anti scalp roller will drag and prevent the deck from rolling. Having the back of the deck lower helps the mounting adjusting nuts clear the frame of my BX. If I use the top holes, even with the BX on a 2x6, the deck won't clear the frame when I try to roll it out.

By the way, congrat's on your new BX. Pic's are always welcome, some say required. :biglaugh:

#25 ·

I'd start by reading the manual to get the basic procedure down. A few things I do that are not in the manual are that I drive my back wheels onto a 2x6 to gain an inch+ of clearance then use the FEL if on the tractor to raise up the front wheels a few inches. Also, when I turn the gauge wheels 90*, I use the lower hole in the back two wheels which drops the back of the mower to less than an inch off the ground. (You may note there are two holes at the 90* setting on the gauge wheel axles.) I use the top holes on the front wheels since if I use the lower hole, the middle anti scalp roller will drag and prevent the deck from rolling. Having the back of the deck lower helps the mounting adjusting nuts clear the frame of my BX. If I use the top holes, even with the BX on a 2x6, the deck won't clear the frame when I try to roll it out.

By the way, congrat's on your new BX. Pic's are always welcome, some say required. :biglaugh:

CHDinCT, driving back wheels onto 2x6s is a great suggestion. I always end up having to remove the gauge bolts from the rear lift link receivers (that stick up vertically from the back end of the MMM) in order to just slide the mower under the rear lift links (even when they're fully raised). Driving onto 2x6 must give just the extra height needed so I can avoid taking off the height-set gauge bolts. Great lil tricks a guy learns on this forum. Thanks,
Mike in NC

#3 ·

Thanks for the congrats and for the advice, I have done a quick scan of the manual, I think getting it off will be easy, but reinstalling it looks to be kinda tough, your hands on experience and advice will help, by the way this tractor is awesome, have used it only for mowing so far, will be using the FEL sometime this week.

#5 · (Edited)

Welcome aboard kylied and congrats on the new machine. They are nice aren't they :D

Chris is dead on. Theres alot of folks that use their FEL's and 2X's to gain more leverage to make it easier.

I, on the other hand, have learned not to use any additional implements to R&R the 60" MMM on my BX23. Course since I've never tried Chris' method so it could be a case of I just don't know what I'm missing :D

Taking the MMM off takes less than 5 minutes while putting it back on can take anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes depending upon how easily I can get the pto shaft splines lined back up :D

Basically, I raise the MMM to the top position then turn 3 of the gauge wheels 90 degrees to the sideways position. I don't turn the left rear as I've found I can roll the MMM just as easily with it staying in the normal position.
I then spin the depth wheel to the lowest position then drop the MMM to where it's supported via the gauge wheels and not the lift links.
I then disconnect the rear lift links by pulling back and locking the spring loaded locking pins in the open position, spin the depth wheel back to the Top position then raise the lift links up and out of the way.
I then unhook the front link and take it completely out of the tractor and lay it out of the way.
I then turn the steering wheel to point the front wheels all the way to the left and shut the engine down.
Having a concrete floor is a necessity btw.
I then start to roll the MMM out towards the right side of the tractor until the front anti scalp wheel almost contacts the right front wheel, then using my feet I push the MMM back on the right front side to clear the wheel then continue to push the MMM out until it clears the tractor. Sometimes it takes some back and forth adjustment to "wiggle" it out but all the pushing is done via my feet/legs just pushing the MMM in the direction I need it to go.
Reassembly is basically in the reverse of the above.
Your BX2660 may be similar but Kubota does make just enough mod's between the BX models to make it interesting :D
One thing on reinstall, I've found that as soon as I get the MMM centered back under the tractor and BEFORE I connect up the lift links/front links, I always connect the pto shaft 1st as it makes it easier to gain access to tha ttight area when you can manuver the MMM around to gain all the clearance you can get. It's especially important if you're "weight challenged" as I :D :D
Good luck and enjoy the machine. Use it inplace of your back :D
Dave

#9 ·

I'm not as fearful as I was before of removing and reinstalling the MMM, one question I do have, is it safe to make any adjustment on the depth wheel if the MMM is not fully lifted?
I find it impossible to rotate the depth knob unless the MMM is all the way up first - takes the weight off of it. As TPS said, lift to full up, rotate as desired, drop it back down. Have fun.

#7 ·

Ditto what volfandt said. I can get it all together pretty quick, but sometimes it takes me as long to get the Shaft back on the pto as everything else! Any way, as to putting the MMM to the up position before adjustment, that is the only way I can get it to adjust right. So I just lift it all the way and then do my MMM adjustments. Congrats on the machine-TPS

#8 ·

Another helpful tip is to place the PTO lever in the rear position. This allows the middle PTO output shaft to rotate freely and this helps engage the MMM's shaft.

#11 ·

I can take my MMM off and reinstall in about 5 mins. each. I do drive my front tires on a 2x8. I leave the back tires on the ground. Doing that, gives you plenty of clearance.
Everything else I can tell you has already been told.

#13 ·

Like Sawbuck said, setting the PTO to 'rear' is the secret in getting the shaft back on. The shaft can then turn and the splines line up very easily. Only takes 10 seconds or so (most times) using this technique.

#15 ·

I have 10.5 hours on my bx2660 and needed to grease everything. This post was really timely and helpful to me. I had really been dreading pulling the MMM.

It took me about 15 minutes to pull the MMM, but a lot of that time was going to the bench to read the next steps( I printed out this thread). I tried not using the FEL to lift the front, and probably could have made it, but when it got tight I just raised the front a bit and everything came out easily.

Suprisingly, the hardest part was getting the front clamp back on. I had assumed it was bolted to the frame and I could not get the front clamp to hold. I finally figured out that the clamp was not seated. Once I got it back in place everything went back together fine.

Thanks to everyone for taking time for us Newbies.
Bruce

#16 ·

Kylied,
One more tip for you when reinstalling the MMM. I used to try and hold the coupler back and slip it all the way onto the mid PTO. It is far easier to start it onto the shaft and then pull the coupler back and slide it the rest of the way onto the shaft. Just remember to double check and pull on it to be sure it is locked in place or all kinds of things can happen and none are good!
Take care-TPS

#18 ·

Kylied,
One more tip for you when reinstalling the MMM. I used to try and hold the coupler back and slip it all the way onto the mid PTO. It is far easier to start it onto the shaft and then pull the coupler back and slide it the rest of the way onto the shaft. Just remember to double check and pull on it to be sure it is locked in place or all kinds of things can happen and none are good!
Take care-TPS
TPS - thanks to a tip a ways back from Volfandt, the coupler will click into and stay in the open position, though it's very sensitive. I have to play with it a bit but have gotten it to stay in the open position while sliding it onto the shaft.

#19 ·

I did not know it would click open...learn something here everyday!! I gotta try that.

#21 ·

CHDinCt,
Thanks, Volfan has all kinds of good info.
The coupling on mine will stay back but when I try to get it on the shaft I always seem to bump it enough to make it close before I want it to. That is why I started putting it onto the shaft first then hold it, pull the coupling back and slip it all the way on and check it. For me that works the best and is easiest.
take care,
TPS

#22 ·

I made this thread a sticky so that it remains at the top of this forum. Anyone else have any great tips continue to add them to this thread

#23 ·

This spring I got a chain hoist at a garage sale and it has been the very handy for deck removal. I unhook everything except the pto and raise the BX about 15 inchs. Unhook the pto and pull the deck out from the front. If I need to service the deck then just lower the tractor and back it up and lift the deck with the hoist. To reinstall I just do this in reverse, works great for me.

#24 ·

BX2660 lover here also,just did my 50 hour service,and took the deck off for the winter,I also have a fel so lifting the front a little makes it very easy,I also put a note on the seat,before I put the deck back on saying"PTO.so i'll remember to double check it,before start up,a little over kill?? maybe,but usually around my house,I can't start and finish anything,with out being bothered,by someone or something,then when I get back to it I can't remember where I left off,did I mention I LOVE MY BX2660

#26 ·

Putting the PTO to rear eliminated a lot of hassle. I use an ATV jack and raise the rear up a few inches to slide the deck under. With the PTO tip I got the deck on in 7 minutes. I use an old rug to lay on while hooking up the PTO. I put it on the floor and up and over the deck to keep as much dirt or grease off me as I can, Much more comfortable for my old bones.

#27 ·

I took the 60'' MMM off for the first time last weekend, came off very easy, last night I reinstalled it, took me about 15 minutes most of time was spent getting the L pins lined up, surprisingly the shaft drive coupling went on very easy, the trick was to put the PTO in rear which allows the mid PTO to spin freely, I did have to lift the deck on each side just a bit to get the L pins to go through the hole, is this normal ??

#29 ·

lost my cherry on the bx mower deck install yesterday. i can't say i did it in ten minutes . . . because i did deck and pto maitainence at the same time. my shirt sleeve length is only 32", so i decided to jackup and remove the left rear tire for easier access to the pto.
lost a craftsman socket, hit it to hard with a breaker bar (oh well!). the deck appeared semi level so off to cutting i went. engaged the mower deck and i heard a high pitched whine that i knew wasn't right. stopped immediately. didn't want to take tire off again, so i backed the bx up on oxlite ramps hinged on a guard rail around the driveway.
my initial pto hook up didn't look right, in fact-wasn't clicked in. with the sloppiness of my greasing it, i thought it had muffled my first connection attempt. second time, it worked like a charm and loudly clicked in.
does anyone have any advice or specific 1-2-3 steps for getting the deck right? i bought the jdeere yellow plastic deck leveler tool ($8.95) and need to work on it.
thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. shrekbelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.