Cushman Police Cart Restoration Complete!
Finally finished my winter project! This is a 1994 3-wheel Cushman Police ATM Cart (Haulster). First project in over 4 years. Not quite a tractor, but figured some of you might enjoy seeing this cart come back to life. It's a survivor and I was able to purchase this cart, as well as a 4 wheel electric Maxim UTV cart for a great deal. Initially, I made the trek out to the mountains in MD for just an electric cart, but found that the seller had a yard full of these. After doing some digging, I found that this cart started its life in New York City, as an NYPD cart, before being leased to a Hospital Center in Washington D.C.
Parts weren't terribly hard to locate. Identifying the engine first helped me in locating the right manuals. Cushman offered 2 engine options for this model year. The Suzuki 660, and the beefier Daihatsu 327 Liquid Cooled Engine. My cart has the 327 and also has cab heat. For manuals etc.. contact Jacobsen/Textron directly, not Cushman. Certain parts are interchangeable.
I changed all of the fluids and dropped the tank. New plugs, fuel sender, belts, trans lines, fuel lines, filters, bulbs, indicators, thermostat, ignition, and miles of new wire. Also purchased new tires (Costco surprisingly had the best quality and deal with free 2 day shipping). Had a little bit of fun with the rear and built a custom wood bed. Decided not to use the blue job box that came with the cart, but re-mounted the inspection panel in the bed. My brother did a great job staining the bed, as well as the stereo work and sourcing a lot of the accessories.. My friend Justin helped out quite a bit with the electrical, stereo and engine hiccups. They're both pictured below hard at work! I used Olympic Stain, and Rustoleum brush-on paint for a better part of the body. This cart is not going to be a garage queen, and I didn't go nuts on the body work, so splurging on paint didn't seem practical.
Apart from the body work, most of the time, effort, and trouble shooting was in correcting the wiring. I encountered "burnt spaghetti" when I popped the dash to look over the wiring. There had been an electrical fire, bad grounds, and loose connections.
Kenwood stereo w/ overhead speakers and marine enclosure
Autopal euro style headlights
Plate lights (front and rear)
Button style moto lights on the sides
Fan (of course!)
Bright LED flood in the rear
LED overhead lamp, and floorboard running lights in the cab
Me and my brother wet sanded and polished the amber wheelen lightbar
"CUSH1" plate designed at Zazzle.com
"McKenna" plate designed at Europlates.com
"Farm Use" plate designed at teamlogo.com
This was a lot of fun. Hope you guys enjoy, been itching to share! Now if I could only find a way to attach a mower! Hmmmmmm