Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
The Barn General discussion of Full size tractors and accessories

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-18-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

I want to transport a agri-power 5000 from NC to NM, 1800 miles.

I got my neighbor where the tractor is to look at the tag. It's a 1985 agri-power 5000 which I think translates into a zetor 5011.

Weight on the tag on the tractor in question is 4762 but I don't think that includes the 250lb per side tire weights, or any of the added fluids. Or the front loader. I want to keep the trailer size down to 16' and 7000lb gvwr

Trailer want to buy is 1150lb 16' (aluma) flat bed. 77.5"x192" 2 3500lb axles.

Tractor is 12' long without the bucket so I should be able to position it correctly to balance the load.

Want to take as much weight off the trailer as possible cause I have a partner that is going to be traveling behind me in a second truck . So I can put some of the implements and weights and buckets and so forth in the second pickup truck.

Want to remove the weights off of the rear tires. Bucket off the front, and remove the 400lbs ballast from the tires.

Any advice on how difficult this might be and the types of tools I will need would be really helpful!!!

My friend want's me to go with a larger wider 20' trailer with 2 5000lb axles which will cost me $1500 dollars more and weighs 400lbs more. 1550lbs.

His logic is sound I guess. If I go over the weight limit and bust a spring or bend an axle I'll be screwed. I just don't see this being a problem if I can remove the bucket, ballast, and weights. His argument is we will run into glitches why not just lug the unnecessary extra 400lb of ballast 1800 miles and leave the bucket and possibly weights also attached to the tractor.

If I had a diesel truck I wouldn't be so concerned about this. I am running a 2014 ram 1500 with a 5.7 liter hemi, 8 speed tranny and 323 rear end gear.

And I don't want the larger trailer. The 16' trailer would suit all my future needs much better.

Advice? thanks
antares4141 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 03:46 AM
20,000 Posts & Climbing
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 21,006
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Gravel pits have weigh scales. Drop the bucket (leaving the arms on the tractor) and the wheel weights, load the tractor (with the liquid ballast in the tires) on the trailer and get the combination truck and trailer weighed. While there, drop the trailer and get the truck weighed. That will give you the loaded weight of the trailer. Then you can decide if you also want the loader arms off to lighten the trailer's load.

Personally, I'd remove the hood, fenders, seat, battery, and 3PH arms before I'd drain the tires.

Bob

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.
TUDOR is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Thanks Tudor!
Great advice getting it weighed. What would be some of your arguments for leaving the liquid ballast in the tires?
antares4141 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 AM
MTF Junior Poster
 
Douglas1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 13
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares4141 View Post
Thanks Tudor!

Great advice getting it weighed. What would be some of your arguments for leaving the liquid ballast in the tires?
Do you know what liquid is in the tires? Some liquids are nasty stuff I would find some other way to reduce the weight.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Douglas1953 is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas1953 View Post
Do you know what liquid is in the tires? Some liquids are nasty stuff I would find some other way to reduce the weight.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My best guess is antifreeze? I have some 55 gallon drums I planned on putting it into. I'm just thinking if I don't remove it I will not have much of a margin for error. My estimate is maybe 300lbs with it in the tires and 700lbs without. I could even take it in the drubs back to nm possibly in one of the two trucks.

That or a recycler. I definitely wouldn't dump it on the ground.
antares4141 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
badgerland01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 1,836
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Is this a one time move, or will you be hauling this tractor again? I would likely buy the bigger trailer either way, especially if you will be hauling this again. If the cost is an issue, you can always switch to a steel trailer. Can you compromise at an 18 foot trailer? Many who have bought a 16 footer soon wished they had gone longer. I have heard very few complaints about anyone having a trailer that is too big.

"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

X749 "H-3 EDITION"
GX345
badgerland01 is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 01:29 PM
20,000 Posts & Climbing
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 21,006
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares4141 View Post
Thanks Tudor!
Great advice getting it weighed. What would be some of your arguments for leaving the liquid ballast in the tires?
- You will want to use the loader at the other end of your journey.

- At some point you will need the liquid ballast.

- It takes time and effort to drain and more time and effort to refill tires.

- Handling liquid ballast in containers also takes time and effort.

I have tended to think in terms of less physical effort since I injured my back at work 40 years ago. My loader has been the first line of back protection since that time and I would want it functional at both ends of a trip to handle anything that needs more effort than I can exert, such as your 250 lb wheel weights. Adding a 400 lb drum of liquid ballast to the items that need to be off loaded by equipment doesn't make sense if it can be left in place and still meet your weight limitations.

Bob

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.
TUDOR is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUDOR View Post
- You will want to use the loader at the other end of your journey.

- At some point you will need the liquid ballast.

- It takes time and effort to drain and more time and effort to refill tires.

- Handling liquid ballast in containers also takes time and effort.

I have tended to think in terms of less physical effort since I injured my back at work 40 years ago. My loader has been the first line of back protection since that time and I would want it functional at both ends of a trip to handle anything that needs more effort than I can exert, such as your 250 lb wheel weights. Adding a 400 lb drum of liquid ballast to the items that need to be off loaded by equipment doesn't make sense if it can be left in place and still meet your weight limitations.
All good points. I suppose I could at least weigh it before I decide what needs to be done.
Thanks again Tudor!
antares4141 is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 11:56 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 494
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

This sounds like it has the makings of a giant disaster looking for a place to happen. You want to spend a couple days on each end of the trip disassembling your tractor and then reassembling it a few days later, not to mention what you may have to spend to load and unload the "spare parts" for the trip. How big is the second truck? Will it be able to legally haul the weights and the ballast as well as the loader? What will
happen if the loader doesn't come apart and off easily? It's had 35 years to rust into place. And you want to do this 1800 miles from home, where you likely won't have access to all the tools you are going to need to do this, so you're going to have to rent or buy some more.

I'd buy the bigger trailer or alternately, skip buying a trailer and use the money to pay a hauler to move it for you.
hippycy is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippycy View Post
How big is the second truck? Will it be able to legally haul the weights and the ballast as well as the loader? What will
happen if the loader doesn't come apart and off easily? It's had 35 years to rust into place. And you want to do this 1800 miles from home, where you likely won't have access to all the tools you are going to need to do this, so you're going to have to rent or buy some more.

I'd buy the bigger trailer or alternately, skip buying a trailer and use the money to pay a hauler to move it for you.

I probably should have mentioned the tractors at my dad's house. He passed away. The house is probably going to be sold. There are still tools there, I can use the neighbors air compressor and borrow tools. And we have a place to stay for a night or two if need be.

There are already a couple of empty 55 gallon drums on the property. I can leave them there, take them with me, or to a recycler.

Second truck is a 2012 ram 1500 capable of handling bucket, ballast, plow, and grader. If I can fit them all in the bed. As long as it doesn't come in at more than 1750lbs. Which I don't think it will.
antares4141 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerland01 View Post
Is this a one time move, or will you be hauling this tractor again? I would likely buy the bigger trailer either way, especially if you will be hauling this again. If the cost is an issue, you can always switch to a steel trailer. Can you compromise at an 18 foot trailer? Many who have bought a 16 footer soon wished they had gone longer. I have heard very few complaints about anyone having a trailer that is too big.
My concern is a longer trailer has the same 7k gross weight limit which takes away from it's payload capacity. And I can't think of any reason why I would want longer than 16'.
antares4141 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
kklowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bridgton, Maine
Posts: 1,366
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

LOnger trailers are nice now and then, but a 16 footer should handle most jobs, and if it costs less and has a higher payload capacity I think I agree with you that it makes more sense than the big one does.

My "honey-do list" is so long it has chapters.
kklowell is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklowell View Post
LOnger trailers are nice now and then, but a 16 footer should handle most jobs, and if it costs less and has a higher payload capacity I think I agree with you that it makes more sense than the big one does.
Thanks kklowell
I can go with 20' with two 5100lbs axles which would solve my weight issue. But that would of course cost more, be 400lbs heavier, and less suitable for my future needs. Where while I would like the 5k axles, on the 16' trailer, don't have the time to special order, and they are 2k more according to one dealer.

From what I understand you can't just swap out axles. The mounting points are different.
antares4141 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,211
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

We all have different needs and the vehicle's we chose to drive dictates the weight that can be pulled more than the trailer that can be purchased. I do not know what your max gross vehicle weight is but any competent trailer company can tell you. I would be really surprised if you could even pull the 7000 lb. axle weight trailer loaded safely with the 1500. Also why buy the extra capacity if not willing to buy the extra licensed weight to pull it.
Ariens93GT20 is online now  
post #15 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Re: Remove bucket and tire weights, drain ballast to prepare for transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens93GT20 View Post
We all have different needs and the vehicle's we chose to drive dictates the weight that can be pulled more than the trailer that can be purchased. I do not know what your max gross vehicle weight is but any competent trailer company can tell you. I would be really surprised if you could even pull the 7000 lb. axle weight trailer loaded safely with the 1500. Also why buy the extra capacity if not willing to buy the extra licensed weight to pull it.
The 2014 ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter hemi, 8 speed tranny, and 323 gear is rated around 8700 I think when I looked it up. It's a long trip though so I would prefer to come in way under that.

Another thing to consider is the 10k gvwr 400lbs heavier trailer and the 4 to 800lbs of ballast will add considerably to my total weight. Maybe as much as 1200lbs. Which will put more wear and tear on my vehicle and make it harder to control should I get into a dangerous situation like slippery roads, poor visibility, or somebody suddenly stomping on their brakes in front of me.

If I had a heavier ram 2500 with a more robust drive train and most importantly braking capacity, I would not have nearly as much of an issue with the weight and would opt for the heavier trailer and leaving the added ballast in the tractor tires.

But I don't.
antares4141 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome