Several places in my yard are now poison ivy jungles,like under the deck,and in the back of the house,the area between the house and a shed has a thick layer of it growing ,and its creeping towards the house..
I was thinking of using salt in my garden sprayer to kill it off and the weeds along the foundation..I'm not too concerned if nothing will ever grow back in these spots again,in fact I'd be happy if they didn't...
I don't have the money for commercial herbicides like Roundup and would rather not use it period,since I have feral cats that I dont want to poison keeping mice at bay..
I need a cheap "home brew" to kill the vines and weeds..
I must have pulled 50 feet of vine roots out of the ground that were growing along side of the garage,some of them broke off rather than coming up--I'm not sure if its poison ivy,it doesn't have the same reddish 3 leaf type of foliage,and it was coiling around all the poles,pipes and even an electrical cord ,it took some doing to get it all off--I didn't get a rash or itchy after dealing with it,but I did wash my hands with gas before going in the house,and washed my clothes with bleach & detergent right away..
I have some vines that are over 1" thick I cut off near the base of the trees they were growing on,they are "furry" looking and don't have that many leaves ,but I'm 90% sure its poison ivy..they have been dead a few years now,but I still avoid going near them..
If I cut any trees with those vines on them I let the logs age until the bark falls off,with the vines still attached--I have burned a lot of the wood from trees like that with no ill effects,but it does make me worried none the less..had a neighbor in my hometown that burned a brush pile with poison ivy in it and I got a good dose of it in my throat and lungs...don't care to live thru that again..
You might look at some pictures on the computer so as to help ID what you are seeing.
Poison Ivy and Poison Oak= LEAVES OF THREE
, LEAVE ME BE.
Virginia Creeper looks similar to the Ivy/Oak vine but has more than 3 leaves, usually 5 leaves and is invasive but not poison sap. Wisteria is another vine type plant that can become a nuisance and is very invasive and hard to control. Wisteria is not a good plant to have around dog/cats/and kids. Is a poison if consumed.
If you were removing the pulling the vines/roots by hand even using rubber gloves, etc and did not get any signs of blisters/rash, etc you are most likely not dealing with a Poison vine.
I'm not allergic to Poison Ivy or Oak, (some people just look at a picture of it and break out) but the more often a person is exposed to such you do not build up an immunity, the more times you are exposed the more likely you will eventually get a dose of such next time around.
Sumac bushes are also a bad thing for some people (same sap family as Poison Ivy/Oak) and they do not even know what Sumac bushes look like. (red berry type Sumac that birds eat)
From first hand experience.
It seems that if it's a tree that you want to save or not kill it will die. (and is most likely leaning over the house or shop building so as it cannot be just readily felled easily)
You have to be really cautious using Round-up or even a labeled weed killer (weed killer only) around trees, especially desirable fruit trees. I've seen some fruit trees such a Pear, Plum, Peach trees start dying as long as 5 years after just a slight exposure to a weed herbicide.
A non fruit tree that is very sensitive to a herbicide is a mimosa.