MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

-   Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics (https://www.mytractorforum.com/45-backyard-round-table-l-g-tractor-related-topics/)
-   -   Stuck Pulley on Shaft (https://www.mytractorforum.com/45-backyard-round-table-l-g-tractor-related-topics/1334655-stuck-pulley-shaft.html)

Craftsman_4791 08-20-2019 10:22 AM

Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
I have a Kohler Magnum twin with a really stuck pulley on the crankshaft. I got the pulley to move about 2" on the shaft, and I have about 1" more to go. I can't use a puller because the pulley is too flimsy and bends easily, and the method of using a flatbar and a hammer is no longer working at this point. I can't think of anything else to try :banghead3

Skwirl 08-20-2019 10:46 AM

If you can get a bearing separator, put it behind pulley and pull on that.

Ariens93GT20 08-20-2019 11:16 AM

Re: Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
Hope you have not deformed the end of the crank by beating on it with a hammer. That's one sure way of locking pulleys on a shaft and no puller out there will remedy that. May be a good time to clean the crank up before proceeding farther.

Craftsman_4791 08-20-2019 11:53 AM

Re: Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariens93GT20 (Post 12329497)
Hope you have not deformed the end of the crank by beating on it with a hammer. That's one sure way of locking pulleys on a shaft and no puller out there will remedy that. May be a good time to clean the crank up before proceeding farther.

I can't really clean it before I keep going, there's only like 1/2" or less of the shaft exposed at this point. Also I have not been beating on the shaft so that should be fine. I'm still kicking myself for not cleaning the shaft before I started pulling it off :bonk:

MARK (LI) 08-20-2019 12:19 PM

Re: Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
Try cleaning the shaft behind the pulley and pushing it back on a little bit...then clean the forward part...use very fine sandpaper or emory cloth to do it and try some heat on the pulley ( not the shaft)...if it does not work try pushing back on and just put a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF on it and let it soak...overnight or for a few days if necessary....Bearing separators are kind of expensive but work well and you can make one if you can do a little welding...I made one by taking a piece of steel about 8" by 8" and drilled a hole in the center about an eighth of an inch bigger than the shaft ..I then welded 3/8 inch pipe about 1/2 inch in from each end, parallel to each other on the same face of the steel...then I cut the whole thing in half, perpendicular to how I had the pipe attached...right through the center of the hole I had drilled with a saw hole cutter for the shaft...I placed each piece behind the gear I was pulling I then got threaded rod and passed it through the pipe and used nuts at each end to hold it together behind the gear...then I lined up my flywheel puller and drilled holes in each piece of steel for the puller bolts ( I used nuts n hem...I did not thread the holes as you would find on a flywheel) and got it off that way...primitive, but cheap and it worked

blkwtr 08-20-2019 02:00 PM

Re: Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
Heat the part of the pulley on the shaft with a MAPP torch and then apply some candle wax where the shaft protrudes from the pulley. See the video on utube. You can then Punch or pry the pulley off the shaft. I do this all the time and seems to work every time. Yesterday I did this to remove a fan blade from a condenser motor that had been exposed to the elements for 15 years.
PREVIEW
7:41
Remove a stuck transaxle pulley in less then 5 minutes WAX
YouTube RedneckComputerGeek
May 2, 2013

Craftsman_4791 08-20-2019 04:29 PM

Re: Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARK (LI) (Post 12329533)
Try cleaning the shaft behind the pulley and pushing it back on a little bit...then clean the forward part...use very fine sandpaper or emory cloth to do it and try some heat on the pulley ( not the shaft)...if it does not work try pushing back on and just put a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF on it and let it soak...overnight or for a few days if necessary....Bearing separators are kind of expensive but work well and you can make one if you can do a little welding...I made one by taking a piece of steel about 8" by 8" and drilled a hole in the center about an eighth of an inch bigger than the shaft ..I then welded 3/8 inch pipe about 1/2 inch in from each end, parallel to each other on the same face of the steel...then I cut the whole thing in half, perpendicular to how I had the pipe attached...right through the center of the hole I had drilled with a saw hole cutter for the shaft...I placed each piece behind the gear I was pulling I then got threaded rod and passed it through the pipe and used nuts at each end to hold it together behind the gear...then I lined up my flywheel puller and drilled holes in each piece of steel for the puller bolts ( I used nuts n hem...I did not thread the holes as you would find on a flywheel) and got it off that way...primitive, but cheap and it worked

I tried your idea of cleaning the shaft behind, pushing back, and then cleaning the front... And it slid right off. Thanks for the advice!:thThumbsU

Also I tried the candle wax last night because that has always seemed to work for me as well, but it just didn't work this time :dunno:

Merc1973 08-24-2019 02:50 PM

Re: Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
Good job! If the cleaning didnt work.. I'd sacrifice the pulley using a 3 jaw puller. Just get a new one. Or a steering wheel puller where you drill holes in the pulley. Hammering and heat would not be good for the crank and seal.

Walt 2002 08-24-2019 07:26 PM

Re: Stuck Pulley on Shaft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc1973 (Post 12331561)
Good job! If the cleaning didnt work.. I'd sacrifice the pulley using a 3 jaw puller. Just get a new one. Or a steering wheel puller where you drill holes in the pulley. Hammering and heat would not be good for the crank and seal.

Well I would not sacrifice the pulley, I am too poor, stingy to do that. I drill 3/8" holes thru the steel pulley across from each other far enough out from the hub to get a nut on the bolts. Drill matching holes in a pc of 3/8" or so flat steel stock 1-1/2" wide or whatever you have. Place a pc of round stock on the end of the engine shaft, socket works well. Use 2 bolts long enough to reach thru the steel plate and the pulley with round stock in place, thread on nuts and start tightening bolts evenly. I usually buy grad 8 bolts if a really hard pull is expected. I have pulled and saved many steel pulleys this way. The 2 holes do not harm the pulley. I happen to have an automobile puller with one center bolt and slotted arms which makes things simpler, no need for spacer on shaft and no need to make flat puller plate. .

If really hard pull, leave a little more space and use a washer under nuts, ground off one side of washer for clearance if needed.

Walt Conner


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome