Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,823
Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

I live in the woods in Arkansas. We have brown recluse spiders--it's just something you accept. I've seen some big ones but this one is a real gem.

Walked into the garage this morning and stepped over what I thought was a granddaddy longlegs. Nope. Biggest recluse I've ever seen. I threw a paper towel over him and soaked it with alcohol before messing around with it, then picked it up and posed it with O-ring picks. Made sure it was good and dead.

This is a real monster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_072922.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	2396085  

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Florida (Almost Alabama)
Posts: 1,224
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

You do have some interesting critters there, don't you? Why no pics of your friendly armadillos that move the rocks, or so you claim?
Flaken is online now  
post #3 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,823
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaken View Post
You do have some interesting critters there, don't you? Why no pics of your friendly armadillos that move the rocks, or so you claim?
When I catch them most of the pics of them would be too graphic for this forum. Gives a new meaning to the term "exploded view"

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Professional Homeowner
 
steddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 6,811
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Ever see what a 12 gauge does to a chipmunk at 20 feet?
They feel nothing. MUCH more humane than poison or kill trap.
steddy is offline  
post #5 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 09:26 AM
We're all friends here
 
APinNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 13,209
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

That thing is huge. We have some spiders up here that live on and under the docks. I donít know the technical name but we just call them dock spiders. They are about the size of a silver dollar. Interestingly, and fortunately they donít go on the boats. I donít want to find out if theyíre poisonous.

Al

Kubota BX1860, 48" fine cut mulching MMM, FEL w/ bucket hooks, BXpanded tooth bar, snow thrower, cab, Heavy Hitch
TroyBilt LTX 15.5, snow thrower, cab (sold)
TroyBilt LTX 13, (given away)
Craftsman DYT 4000 Special Edition, 21 HP Briggs Twin (sold)
DR Lawn Vacuum. Review here
1978 Craftsman 7 1/2 HP snow blower (backup machine-never use it)

"You will find out what that extra part was for as soon as you throw it away"
APinNY is offline  
post #6 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Parts collector
 
mopar65pa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manheim PA
Posts: 2,455
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Urquell View Post
I live in the woods in Arkansas. We have brown recluse spiders--it's just something you accept. I've seen some big ones but this one is a real gem.

Walked into the garage this morning and stepped over what I thought was a granddaddy longlegs. Nope. Biggest recluse I've ever seen. I threw a paper towel over him and soaked it with alcohol before messing around with it, then picked it up and posed it with O-ring picks. Made sure it was good and dead.

This is a real monster.
That's a big one for sure. Just step on it LOL.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaken View Post
You do have some interesting critters there, don't you? Why no pics of your friendly armadillos that move the rocks, or so you claim?
Ha Ha that's funny. When I did my 6 month stint building condos, houses, Marine biology center in key west in SW FL back in 04 (Naples, N Fort Myers, across alligator alley to Key west) I used to see armadillos flat on the roads all the time. Never saw one up close and live. Key Deer are cool looking, seen a few gators crawling around the side of the road, seen a few BIG deer hit in the median strip, and I saw a wild boar that a guy caught and penned so he could feed it corn for a week till he butchered it.

Been driving Deeres since 1974, Dodges since 1984, and Davidsons since 2004. Love my wife and kids I'm a blessed man.

1970 140 H1
1977 300 H2
1983 314 H1 for sale
110 parts tractor for sale
198? 332 50" deck
300 series #33 tiller
Single piston dirt/snow plow
piston lift snow blower
Hand made pintle hitch
Bradley plow, harrow, and disc.
mopar65pa is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,823
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by APinNY View Post
That thing is huge. We have some spiders up here that live on and under the docks. I donít know the technical name but we just call them dock spiders. They are about the size of a silver dollar. Interestingly, and fortunately they donít go on the boats. I donít want to find out if theyíre poisonous.
We have one here called a dark fishing spider that gets huge. They kill by crushing their prey. Non-venomous. I caught one awhile back but he was missing a few legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spider.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	2396087  

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is online now  
post #8 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
4Get GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
Posts: 147
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Urquell View Post
We have one here called a dark fishing spider that gets huge. They kill by crushing their prey. Non-venomous. I caught one awhile back but he was missing a few legs.
I would have had to take that picture from the sole of my shoe..! 😖s 👞

Roped RT-10
Sears ST-10
Woods 6210 ZT
Yanmar 147D
4Get GTO is offline  
post #9 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 11:05 AM
15,000 +posts!
 
Tractor-Holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 19,452
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

I have huge wood or wolf spiders in my yard and sheds,& the garage most every year..
And have posted here several times how much I hate them !..

I had one as big as this one pictured below wake me up one night by crawling on my neck,I had nodded off watching TV in my garage and I woke RIGHT up and did the "karate dance"--flicked it off my shoulder,and it vanished behind the van bench seat I was sitting in..I picked the seat up and tossed it out into the garage area and searched every inch of the small room I was in,to no avail..it somehow vanished into thin air..

I have had one as big as a turantula living under the recoil housing of an old Briggs mower I dragged out of the shed to use to chop some saplings down,but it had no spark..I took off the recoil housing,there it was,sitting on the ignition coil !--I sprayed it with carb cleaner and that only seemed to make it angry,and it started coming towards me,so I sprayed it again,it slowed some but was still coming,so I used my lighter to make it can of carb cleaner into a flame thrower..then it finally stopped,its legs closed up,then the dern thing exploded,showering me with hot spider guts!..YaaaaaHHH!..

My house has its share of daddy longlegs and other spiders,especially in the basement--cobwebs everywhere,I spend a day a week using a broom to sweep them out of doorways and smoosh any occupants,yet they return with a vengence..nothing worse than walking into a web that has 50,00000 little spiderlings that just hatched ,the size of a period at the end of a sentence,your skin will crawl forever until you take a hot soapy shower..
Attached Images
 


Tractor-Holic is online now  
post #10 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,823
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor-Holic View Post
I have huge wood or wolf spiders in my yard and sheds,& the garage most every year..
And have posted here several times how much I hate them !..

I had one as big as this one pictured below wake me up one night by crawling on my neck,I had nodded off watching TV in my garage and I woke RIGHT up and did the "karate dance"--flicked it off my shoulder,and it vanished behind the van bench seat I was sitting in..I picked the seat up and tossed it out into the garage area and searched every inch of the small room I was in,to no avail..it somehow vanished into thin air..

I have had one as big as a turantula living under the recoil housing of an old Briggs mower I dragged out of the shed to use to chop some saplings down,but it had no spark..I took off the recoil housing,there it was,sitting on the ignition coil !--I sprayed it with carb cleaner and that only seemed to make it angry,and it started coming towards me,so I sprayed it again,it slowed some but was still coming,so I used my lighter to make it can of carb cleaner into a flame thrower..then it finally stopped,its legs closed up,then the dern thing exploded,showering me with hot spider guts!..YaaaaaHHH!..

My house has its share of daddy longlegs and other spiders,especially in the basement--cobwebs everywhere,I spend a day a week using a broom to sweep them out of doorways and smoosh any occupants,yet they return with a vengence..nothing worse than walking into a web that has 50,00000 little spiderlings that just hatched ,the size of a period at the end of a sentence,your skin will crawl forever until you take a hot soapy shower..
That's a big boy for sure. I ran into a garden spider web Monday tied to my truck driver's side mirror. He was perched under it. Midweek I got into my truck at work and saw him under the mirror tucked in. He rode to work with me under the mirror outside at 60mph speeds for several days.

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is online now  
post #11 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 864
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

I've had these Orb Weavers Black/Yellow spiders crawling across my face with both hands full when going through the woods before daylight when going to my deer stand. If you get the web across your face and no spider she is on you somewhere.

Stuff gets dropped fast. They are non-poisonis but !!!!!!!!!

A really good spray that will reduce the Recluse spiders population fast and the insectcide lasts for long time and is safe for indoor use, research Bifen IT. No need to mix any stronger that the label recommends. I use Bifwen IT and also glue traps. Recluse really do like to live around/under a refrigerator. I've seen them that move fast instead of slow and reclusive. I've also seen recluse spider bites, black meat and rotten, not a good thing. Really good for shops, garages, attics, under floors, etc. No odor and no stains.

AND them Armadillos also move big rocks in these flint rock hills looking for grubs. I have to keep a heads up when mowing. A bullet reduces their population in my area.

I live in flint rock hills and just now wiped out a small timber rattler in the yard while mowing.

Snakes, ticks, spiders, mice, rats, etc, but would rather live with them than in towns such as Chicago or St. Louis. Them towns are not safe place,
Forest Gump is online now  
post #12 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,823
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
I've had these Orb Weavers Black/Yellow spiders crawling across my face with both hands full when going through the woods before daylight when going to my deer stand. If you get the web across your face and no spider she is on you somewhere.

Stuff gets dropped fast. They are non-poisonis but !!!!!!!!!

A really good spray that will reduce the Recluse spiders population fast and the insectcide lasts for long time and is safe for indoor use, research Bifen IT. No need to mix any stronger that the label recommends. I use Bifwen IT and also glue traps. Recluse really do like to live around/under a refrigerator. I've seen them that move fast instead of slow and reclusive. I've also seen recluse spider bites, black meat and rotten, not a good thing. Really good for shops, garages, attics, under floors, etc. No odor and no stains.

AND them Armadillos also move big rocks in these flint rock hills looking for grubs. I have to keep a heads up when mowing. A bullet reduces their population in my area.

I live in flint rock hills and just now wiped out a small timber rattler in the yard while mowing.

Snakes, ticks, spiders, mice, rats, etc, but would rather live with them than in towns such as Chicago or St. Louis. Them towns are not safe place,
I walked into a spider web when I was out after dark some years ago and got bit on the arm. Didn't see what it was but am assuming it was a garden spider. It was a festering oozy mess for a couple weeks and i kept it covered in ointment.

I have Bifen sprayed on the garage floor edges and this guy was crawling slow. Figured he was on his last (8) legs so to speak.

Sounds like you may have similar land to mine. I'm in between Siloam Springs and Fayetteville in NW AR and I will also take the country critters over the deadly predators who live in the city.

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is online now  
post #13 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Collector of many tractors

 
Kbeitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 15,248
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

When I was in the Dominican Republic I got to see a spider with a body of around 2-3 inches and leg spread around 10-12 inches... Sure glad we don't have them here. My Dad got bit by a Brown Recluse many years ago... I've been lucky and so far never be bit from a spider. Mowing between Christmas trees I've had many on me. They like to stretch the webs between the trees. You just cant stop a Gravely on a dime.


Kbeitz is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 07:20 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
4Get GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
Posts: 147
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbeitz View Post
When I was in the Dominican Republic I got to see a spider with a body of around 2-3 inches and leg spread around 10-12 inches... Sure glad we don't have them here. My Dad got bit by a Brown Recluse many years ago... I've been lucky and so far never be bit from a spider. Mowing between Christmas trees I've had many on me. They like to stretch the webs between the trees. You just cant stop a Gravely on a dime.
I was hoping you weren't going to say.
" they would stop a Gravely on a dime..

Roped RT-10
Sears ST-10
Woods 6210 ZT
Yanmar 147D
4Get GTO is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
mikgran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: So. Maine
Posts: 1,827
Re: Killed a Brown Recluse: Biggest I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by APinNY View Post
That thing is huge. We have some spiders up here that live on and under the docks. I donít know the technical name but we just call them dock spiders. They are about the size of a silver dollar. Interestingly, and fortunately they donít go on the boats. I donít want to find out if theyíre poisonous.
We have similar spiders up here.

At camp I would keep my 14í boat with a canvas cover tied up to the dock all week. When Iíd remove the cover there would usually be several large dock spiders running around in the hull. Just thinking about them makes my skin crawl.

2004 X485- 54 deck, 47 blower
1977 210
1970 110H
1991 Ariens YT12H w/bagger
1986 Kubota B7200HST
mikgran is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome