My Tractor Forum banner

Gravely Photo Thread

155K views 403 replies 108 participants last post by  Ruck 
#1 ·
I was looking and noticed there is no photo thread here in the Gravely section and I think that needs to be fixed. With all the proud Gravely owners out there Im sure yall have a bunch of great photos yall would like to share so go ahead and post away, we sure would like to see all your machines. Working, sittin purty, or a pile of parts it doesent matter just share some photos and basic info. Everyone else seems to have a photo thread so why not Gravely? Or is there one somewhere that I overlooked? Lol

#36 ·
Back to some normal sized gravely's :sidelaugh:sidelaugh 24G's are nice though. Heres the 430 with her deck on even mowed some with it:thThumbsU . 8163-B is also there.

Attachments

#44 ·
Hey! What fun!

Here is my '66 Comm 10 that i refurbished. No real issues since doing that a couple of years ago. I use it to mow my weeds in the summer to reduce the threat of fire with the 30" brush hog; also in the winter with the 48" blade to clear about 900' of driveway (I no longer get snowed in!); and I built a front dump cart from an old motorcycle trailer to haul stuff. I have too many implements and not enough 2-wheelers. Gravelys are tough to find in New Mexico.

I really enjoy seeing all of your stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

#52 ·
This is an early 50's L, the serial tag had been removed so I'm not entirely sure of the year. I've installed a spin on oil filter and Gravely low volume oil pressure gauge, also I've installed a layer carb and air filter. I had the top end reconditioned as the lower end is in good order, the old girl fires up on the first pull and has no problem powering a 40" deck in tall grass pulling me on a sulky.

Attachments

#55 ·
Is that an original Gravely Quiet Tone muffler or is it an aftermarket? It looks great! :fing32:

#59 ·
Nice! The engine is what I like the most on that tractor....I wonder what the comparison between a westchester and Kohler engine would be, HP and Toque...

The westchester was a cool machine but a bit to complicated with all its cables and rods, still too bad Gravely scrapped it rather then improve on it.

#61 ·
WOW Helixhippy that is some "little bit of clearing" But nothing you wouldn't expect from a Gravely. :)

#63 ·
Well as promised....

I've been looking for a Jenkins valve in head kit for years, I finally came upon what you all see in these photos. The exhaust valve seat needs some work but all in all its in good shape. My plans are to mount to a fresh cylinder and lower end which will in turn go on my C8. Auto part Metal Tool accessory

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Wheel

Machine

Sent from the MTF Free App

#64 ·
Very cool. :)

#65 ·
Had the three amigo's out and running. 8163-B mowed the yard the 430 is leaking gas from the tank and the 818t is leaking gas from the block off plate on the carb :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

Attachments

#72 · (Edited)
My 1960 Gravely LI

I can't seem to find a "New Thread" button, so I thought I'd come here to post pics of my machine. The SN is SR9226. I've found a crack in the cylinder that I hope ya'll can help me with.
Here's hopeing the pic uploads will work.

Charlie

I used an inspection mirror to view the back of the cylinder while shining a flashlight at the crack. I thought the crack was just at the top of the cylinder into a mounting bolt hole, but I can see light through the side of the block. Guess I'll need another, what ya'll call, I think, "the jug." I'll check ebay, but if any of ya'll have one to sell, let me know.

Charlie

Attachments

#76 ·
Re: My 1960 Gravely LI

I can't seem to find a "New Thread" button, so I thought I'd come here to post pics of my machine. The SN is SR9226. I've found a crack in the cylinder that I hope ya'll can help me with.
Here's hopeing the pic uploads will work.

Charlie

I used an inspection mirror to view the back of the cylinder while shining a flashlight at the crack. I thought the crack was just at the top of the cylinder into a mounting bolt hole, but I can see light through the side of the block. Guess I'll need another, what ya'll call, I think, "the jug." I'll check ebay, but if any of ya'll have one to sell, let me know.

Charlie
Gravely T Head engines are prone to cracking mainly due to over torquing the head bolts and or from torquing them in an incorrect pattern. The MAX torque for the head bolts on a Gravely T Head engine is 19ft/lbs, the bolts are tightened from the middle out. These engines have heavy fly wheels and create decent torque, however the compression is a bit low so there is no need to feel the need to run the head bolts down to a ridiculous torque value, also always replace the old head gasket with a new one. If you don't have any service manuals do yourself a favor and go to oldgravelys.net and down load some, they will provide you with guidance on servicing and maintenance for your new found piece of equipment.

Below is a link to an amazing place to get parts for the old Gravely engines, also they provide an engine reconditioning service.

http://gtgravelyparts.com/

Good luck and welcome to the club,
Corey

Sent from the MTF Free App

#73 ·
Guys is that a Southern Region he's got there?

Oh yeah, welcome, Charlie!

#74 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Mr CTPhil, and all ya'll. I've learned a lot just reading the threads. For instance, I thought I had a problem because of the snapping sound as I move the piston through the compression stroke, but it turns out that's the impulse. I hadn't even tried to start the machine until after I learned that. I paid $400.00 for it. I'm thinking the implements that came with it are worth that much. Now, I have to try to deal with the cracked jug. Any help with that will be muchly appreciated. And I might send you a care package of my wife's Chicken 'n' Dumplin's.

#75 ·
My first gravely L I bought had a blown jug .I found a used jug had to have it bored. Gravelys wrist action causes a groove to form in the cilender wall the max. Piston is 30 tho. over.unless u find a combo jug piston you will need piston jug maybe intake side valve . New gaskets .to take apart lift jug take out snap ring pull out pin and you can inspect. Good luck it can be fixed just depends how far u want to go.

#77 ·
Welcome Charlie. Good to have you on board. Another way to say is :MTF_wel2:,

The new thread button is just above the current stickies that are at the top of list of threads. Look at the top of the list where it says "threads in forum" the new thread button is just above that. All this is on the Left near the top of the page.

Again welcome. Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.