FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Off Topic But not "Off Color" and no politics please

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
not quins. but sextuplets
 
Whirly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 15,182
FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

saw this at Sioux City on 8-8-19.. it is one of 2 that r airworthy.. it was loaded with 500 ## bombs just in the bay they were dropped from..

click on the pics twice to enlarge them.. I did not get pics of the bombs..

the guy in the pics told us all about the B-29..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FIFI 001.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	2390361   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIFI 009.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	2390363   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIFI 006.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	2390365   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIFI 015.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	2390367  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FIFI 016.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	2390369   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIFI 017.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2390371   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIFI 018.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	2390373  


the round fenderd JD's
4-JD 60's.. 2-JD 70's.. 6-JD 100's.. 2-JD 110's.. 2-JD 112's..

3 JD LT 155's.. JD R-72.. JD Scotts 2048.. JD 111.. JD Sabre 1742..
WH RJ-58.. WH Lawn Ranger.. WH 654.. WH 854.. 2- MF 14's..
Craftsman GT 6000.. CC 70.. CC 100.. CC 129..
total tractors is 30..
home built log spliter 4x24 ram.. 20hp.. 11 seconds per cycle..

give a monkey a wrench & he can ruin the world.. whirly 7/27/2018
Whirly is offline  
post #2 of 21 Old 08-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Handshake Seals the Deal
 
Andrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Northern South Carolina
Posts: 243
Nice! I'm always fascinated by military power(USA's of course). Thanks Whirly. I really like history. Especially something you can put your hands on. Any more pics?
Andrew2 is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 500
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

I saw that plane in Hickory NC a few years ago.
at that time it was the only one that could fly, I heard some people had rebuilt another one.
I was amazed at how modern it looked when it was more than 70 years old.
I read that the guns fired by remote control the gunners would aim at something and computer would decide witch of two guns to use.
Scott Wells is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 08-11-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
not quins. but sextuplets
 
Whirly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 15,182
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Nice! I'm always fascinated by military power(USA's of course). Thanks Whirly. I really like history. Especially something you can put your hands on. Any more pics?
sadly there is no more pics..

my dad got the call the to report for service.. he worked for the telephone company.. they said he needed to stay home to keep the lines repaired.. back then we had ladies as operators at the switchboards..

I was born in ''45'' so FIFI may b older than me.. it makes proud to see one of them.. when I was young we saw a bunch of the B-29 go over our town.. they were made in Omaha Neb..

we saw on the news that one landed in Sioux City.. they charged $15 a head to see it.. also on the news tonight they had a lady that put the B-29's together..


the round fenderd JD's
4-JD 60's.. 2-JD 70's.. 6-JD 100's.. 2-JD 110's.. 2-JD 112's..

3 JD LT 155's.. JD R-72.. JD Scotts 2048.. JD 111.. JD Sabre 1742..
WH RJ-58.. WH Lawn Ranger.. WH 654.. WH 854.. 2- MF 14's..
Craftsman GT 6000.. CC 70.. CC 100.. CC 129..
total tractors is 30..
home built log spliter 4x24 ram.. 20hp.. 11 seconds per cycle..

give a monkey a wrench & he can ruin the world.. whirly 7/27/2018
Whirly is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 08-11-2019, 01:43 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
paul kellam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ND
Posts: 178
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

My 89 year old AA sponsor was a gunner in one of these, He called it "His Ship"
paul kellam is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 12:21 AM
20,000 Posts & Climbing
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 21,090
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wells View Post
I saw that plane in Hickory NC a few years ago.
at that time it was the only one that could fly, I heard some people had rebuilt another one.
I was amazed at how modern it looked when it was more than 70 years old.
I read that the guns fired by remote control the gunners would aim at something and computer would decide witch of two guns to use.
Someone was laying it on pretty thick. There were no computers that would fit in a plane back in WWII. The transistor (the main electronic component of computers) wasn't invented until 1947. Prior to then, vacuum tubes were used and a computer with the power of a Commodore VIC 20 (the first real computer for the masses) took up the space of a large room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

Bob

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.

Last edited by TUDOR; 08-12-2019 at 12:27 AM.
TUDOR is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 AM
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,929
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Very cool aircraft Whirly, thanks for the pics. Must've been a treat to see in person.

Bolens HDT1000 #11- Coming eventually!

1977 Economy Tractor
Hydraulic lift conversion
24" model front king pins
48" Belly mower
32" tiller
3pt hitch

"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9



Austen is online now  
post #8 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
not quins. but sextuplets
 
Whirly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 15,182
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
Very cool aircraft Whirly, thanks for the pics. Must've been a treat to see in person.
when I was a wee kid I saw a hundreds of them pass over our town.. they flew in formation like geese do.. when I saw the one landed in Sioux City I had to go there.. I got lost in when I saw the cockpit.. the guy was explaining everything..

I should have taken more pics..


the round fenderd JD's
4-JD 60's.. 2-JD 70's.. 6-JD 100's.. 2-JD 110's.. 2-JD 112's..

3 JD LT 155's.. JD R-72.. JD Scotts 2048.. JD 111.. JD Sabre 1742..
WH RJ-58.. WH Lawn Ranger.. WH 654.. WH 854.. 2- MF 14's..
Craftsman GT 6000.. CC 70.. CC 100.. CC 129..
total tractors is 30..
home built log spliter 4x24 ram.. 20hp.. 11 seconds per cycle..

give a monkey a wrench & he can ruin the world.. whirly 7/27/2018

Last edited by Whirly; 08-12-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Whirly is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 02:00 AM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,458
Barn
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUDOR View Post
Someone was laying it on pretty thick. There were no computers that would fit in a plane back in WWII. The transistor (the main electronic component of computers) wasn't invented until 1947. Prior to then, vacuum tubes were used and a computer with the power of a Commodore VIC 20 (the first real computer for the masses) took up the space of a large room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC
Well, read up on it:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...g-masterpiece/
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/wor...c-cannons.html

They used analog computers to control the guns.
dave_r is online now  
post #10 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 AM
20,000 Posts & Climbing
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 21,090
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Thank you! Very interesting and enlightening. I appreciate the links.

Bob

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.
TUDOR is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 07:19 AM
Handshake Seals the Deal
 
Andrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Northern South Carolina
Posts: 243
Thanks for the links Dave.

That was years ago. Imagine what they do today...some pretty smart stuff!
Andrew2 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 559
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Back in the early 1990s (I think) a B-29 was found where it had made an emergency landing on a glacier. I think fuel starvation was the emergency. Anyway, it was literally and intact B-29 but had suffered the rigors of decades of weather. A mission was set up and some guy spent hundreds of thousands on parts, repair teams, and managed to pull the mostly repaired ship out of the ice it was mired in. They had made several test run ups on the engines and had gotten it pretty much ready to fly out.
There is an auxiliary engine in the rear compartment they called the putt putt. I think it powered the ship during engine start and take off only. It burst into flame during a pre take off taxi, and it was a horrible sight to see that entire plane sitting there, repaired and flight ready, go up in smoke due to the putt putt's gas leak and subsequent fire. Heart breaking is not adequate to describe.

X 500 48" Deck 48" blade
Cyclone Rake
Stihl BR 600
Sears Suburban Super 12 1968
Craftsman 1990 something LG Tractor 46" deck
Original Kohler 8hp Giant Vac early 1960s
Alien5044 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 559
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

If interested, look up "Kee Bird".

X 500 48" Deck 48" blade
Cyclone Rake
Stihl BR 600
Sears Suburban Super 12 1968
Craftsman 1990 something LG Tractor 46" deck
Original Kohler 8hp Giant Vac early 1960s
Alien5044 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Booo
 
BOSOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 12,016
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien5044 View Post
Back in the early 1990s (I think) a B-29 was found where it had made an emergency landing on a glacier. I think fuel starvation was the emergency. Anyway, it was literally and intact B-29 but had suffered the rigors of decades of weather. A mission was set up and some guy spent hundreds of thousands on parts, repair teams, and managed to pull the mostly repaired ship out of the ice it was mired in. They had made several test run ups on the engines and had gotten it pretty much ready to fly out.
There is an auxiliary engine in the rear compartment they called the putt putt. I think it powered the ship during engine start and take off only. It burst into flame during a pre take off taxi, and it was a horrible sight to see that entire plane sitting there, repaired and flight ready, go up in smoke due to the putt putt's gas leak and subsequent fire. Heart breaking is not adequate to describe.
I watched that, was awful to watch it go up in smoke after all the hours the team invested.

Mike

BOSOX is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 08-13-2019, 02:03 PM
forkz
 
forkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: edgecombe county nc
Posts: 5,694
Barn
Re: FiFi a B-29 bomber used in WWII

https://ibb.co/CwQDZfG i saw this one at a air show panchito

country in her soul but she loves to rock n roll charlie daniels
forkz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome