Well, it's only been over 6 years that I've had the "shed find" Phantom, and have done absolutely nothing with it since getting enough eggcorns out from in-between the block, and flywheel so that I could turn the engine by hand to listen, and feel for compression through the sparkplug holes. My lapse in doing anything reminded me of another chronic procrastinator who is well known for starting projects, and then..., but I'm not going to name names.
Anyway, this past weekend I pushed the Phantom outside, and went to work. I had taken an inventory on what would be needed to get it running. The original coil was missing it's resistor, so I ordered a replacement 12v coil, along with new points, condenser, plugs, fuel filter, fuel line, oil, and an oil filter. Also, the clutch material had separated from the forward clutch plate due to water damage from the tractor's being in the collapsed shed for so many years, so I picked up complete f/r clutch assemblies for a good price on ebay. All of the wires had been disconnected, but using the 816 electrical schematic that I found on Chip's manuals, I was able to reconnect everything. I had already taken the carb. apart, and cleaned it.
Once everything was replaced I turned the key (I have to replace the ignition switch- turn the key too far and the starter stops-bad starter contacts in the ignition switch) the Onan fired right up. It sounded great-quiet, and very smooth running, and no smoke.
So the Phantom is now a runner. The f/r linkage was frozen in the neutral position from rust, but I freed it up today. Once I install the new clutch assys. it should be a driver.