30" Brush mower is awesome. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-11-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Lnk
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
30" Brush mower is awesome.

Just cleared about 200 yards of overgrown fence line. All I can say is wow. The C8 with the MA106 brush mower destroyed everything. I have resisted running the flail or tractors brush hog due to it being too overgrown to even see what was in there. Along my back field there is a 4 strand barbed wire fence along the woods and the edge is so thick. So I started nibbling in with the gravely. Rose bushes, blackberry brambles, small trees, poison ivy. All gone. I can now get to the fence and make repairs and upgrades. I still have a ways to go to clean it all up. Today was a test run of it's capabilities, and I am impressed. I wish I knew about these machines years ago.

I also like the fact that I get more exercise walking instead of riding. Or should I say, exercise, not more exercise. Even though the governor is in need of rebuilding, I was able to just control the throttle directly, (governor removed). I will either get a new governor or have that one rebuilt. I can not get the pulley off without destroying it.

Anyway, I am sold. I will always have a gravely now.
Lnk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-11-2019, 09:07 PM
jrd
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ma
Posts: 4,034
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

+1

Some of the most fun I've had with a gravely has been spending an afternoon cutting brush with an L model and a 106 deck. It's just so satisfying!

'41 L (not running)
'43 L
'44 L
'50 L
'52 L (not running)
'58 LI (not running)
'59 LI
'61 LS
'61 LS
Mutt LS
'62 LI (not running)
'63 L8
'66 L8
'66 C8
'67 C8
'74 Comm 12
'75 C8
'73 812
'74 816
UFT Mountaineer 88E
3 parts/project tractors
Too many attachments
jrd is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Collector of many tractors

 
Kbeitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 15,239
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

Spent years using one on a Christmas tree farm....


Kbeitz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Va
Posts: 577
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

After you get used to it a little more, you can start pushing down on the handlebars, raising the mower way up in the air and lunging into the briar patch. Be careful though.

I always think about what someone said on here one time, that if you are using a Gravely and trip and fall and it gets away from you, be sure to get up and out of the way as fast as you can, because before long it's going to be coming back out of the briars headed your way.
franklin2 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 AM
jrd
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ma
Posts: 4,034
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin2 View Post
After you get used to it a little more, you can start pushing down on the handlebars, raising the mower way up in the air and lunging into the briar patch. Be careful though.

I always think about what someone said on here one time, that if you are using a Gravely and trip and fall and it gets away from you, be sure to get up and out of the way as fast as you can, because before long it's going to be coming back out of the briars headed your way.
+1 on all that.

An issue with going after the big brambles is getting on top of them. Around me we have these terrible 12 foot high wild roses. Trying to just mow over them won't work, the stems are too sturdy. But if you pick up the leading edge of the deck about 18", you can chop them off, then drop the nose to chew up the remaining parts. You want the front guard off for this exercise.

Do use care at all times. It's tempting to let the machine go and bull its way through a wad of vegetation. I've done that a number of times But there's no guarantee which way it will head in there.

The other thing to watch when brush hogging, esp when the front guard is off, is what's nearby. That heavy blade is perfectly happy to launch debris at warp speed. I've seen beer-can sized chunks of wood fly 75 feet. If you're near a building, esp one with windows, take care to orient the machine so that you won't take out anything you care about.

'41 L (not running)
'43 L
'44 L
'50 L
'52 L (not running)
'58 LI (not running)
'59 LI
'61 LS
'61 LS
Mutt LS
'62 LI (not running)
'63 L8
'66 L8
'66 C8
'67 C8
'74 Comm 12
'75 C8
'73 812
'74 816
UFT Mountaineer 88E
3 parts/project tractors
Too many attachments
jrd is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ohio
Posts: 230
Barn
About 15 years ago we were living in a little town north of here. The town hire a city manager we were way to small for a full time manager. Young guy let's the position go to his head . He decided to be a grass Nazi 😞 but was only picking on our elderly. I had a friend that worked for the city that kept me informed. I ruined his plans to change people $75 an hour to mow their high grass on several occasions with a Gravely LI and brush mower. He made the comment now one else could mow because it was to high for a mower so the city would have to do it. I took that as a challenge ! I would mow the yards with the Gravely brush cutter then go over it with a lawn lawnboy I had or the finish mower deck.

Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier
From Concord and Valley Forge to the sands of Iraq
and mountians of afghanistan American soldiers have
paid the ultimate price For our Freedom.I am ever mindful
and for ever greatful for their sacrifice
My heros have always been American Soldiers
plumberroy is online now  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-13-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Lnk
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin2 View Post
After you get used to it a little more, you can start pushing down on the handlebars, raising the mower way up in the air and lunging into the briar patch. Be careful though.

I always think about what someone said on here one time, that if you are using a Gravely and trip and fall and it gets away from you, be sure to get up and out of the way as fast as you can, because before long it's going to be coming back out of the briars headed your way.
I am getting pretty good at getting into the big bushy prickly stuff. I just nibble at it until I can safely get to the trunk, then I let it have it. I find this thing will decimate roses even at just barely above idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd View Post

+1 on all that.

An issue with going after the big brambles is getting on top of them. Around me we have these terrible 12 foot high wild roses. Trying to just mow over them won't work, the stems are too sturdy. But if you pick up the leading edge of the deck about 18", you can chop them off, then drop the nose to chew up the remaining parts. You want the front guard off for this exercise.

Do use care at all times. It's tempting to let the machine go and bull its way through a wad of vegetation. I've done that a number of times <img src="https://www.mytractorforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" /> But there's no guarantee which way it will head in there.

The other thing to watch when brush hogging, esp when the front guard is off, is what's nearby. That heavy blade is perfectly happy to launch debris at warp speed. I've seen beer-can sized chunks of wood fly 75 feet. If you're near a building, esp one with windows, take care to orient the machine so that you won't take out anything you care about.
I am very careful, I won't use it anywhere thee are other people, livestock or pets. Also nothing needs brush hogging near the house. Tall thick grass seems to be the only thing that will slow this thing down. I have a 9' flail and a 70 hp tractor for that, so no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
About 15 years ago we were living in a little town north of here. The town hire a city manager we were way to small for a full time manager. Young guy let's the position go to his head . He decided to be a grass Nazi &#x1f61e; but was only picking on our elderly. I had a friend that worked for the city that kept me informed. I ruined his plans to change people $75 an hour to mow their high grass on several occasions with a Gravely LI and brush mower. He made the comment now one else could mow because it was to high for a mower so the city would have to do it. I took that as a challenge ! I would mow the yards with the Gravely brush cutter then go over it with a lawn lawnboy I had or the finish mower deck.
Good on you for putting the grass Nazi in his place. Too much of that in .gov , I think those positions attract those people. Enough said I think.
Lnk is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ohio
Posts: 230
Barn
I am going to try to go get a brush deck this pay day for my Professional 12 .

As far as the yard nazi city manager goes if he would have been doing it to able bodied residents of the town I would have stayed out of it . He didn't have the courage to do that he went after elderly no able to do it and on fix income that couldn't afford the charge . I finally got the city council to notify me and one of a group of people would help out . I flipped mowers back then . I had a teenager who wanted a mower to make summer cash but didn't have money to buy a mower . I gave him a pretty nice commercial grade lawnboy with the agreement that he would keep one ladies yard cut that year

Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier
From Concord and Valley Forge to the sands of Iraq
and mountians of afghanistan American soldiers have
paid the ultimate price For our Freedom.I am ever mindful
and for ever greatful for their sacrifice
My heros have always been American Soldiers
plumberroy is online now  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Lnk
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
I am going to try to go get a brush deck this pay day for my Professional 12 .

As far as the yard nazi city manager goes if he would have been doing it to able bodied residents of the town I would have stayed out of it . He didn't have the courage to do that he went after elderly no able to do it and on fix income that couldn't afford the charge . I finally got the city council to notify me and one of a group of people would help out . I flipped mowers back then . I had a teenager who wanted a mower to make summer cash but didn't have money to buy a mower . I gave him a pretty nice commercial grade lawnboy with the agreement that he would keep one ladies yard cut that year
The brush deck is the most fun you can have behind the handlebars. Make sure you get a 106. Maybe a long neck drive for the Pro-12, right?My wife thinks I am nuts out back in the prime heat of the day brush hogging. She might be right.

I also just figured out why my rotary plow was locked up. Seems the previous own swapped out the bolts that hold the guide wheel assembly on with longer, ring gear reaching bolts. Well I guess I needed to take it apart to see how much wear on the ring an pinion gears. None at all. So o cleaned it up, freed the pivoting assembly and flushed out the bearings. The double seals seem new also. Will try it tomorrow.
Lnk is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Va
Posts: 577
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnk View Post

I also just figured out why my rotary plow was locked up. Seems the previous own swapped out the bolts that hold the guide wheel assembly on with longer, ring gear reaching bolts. Well I guess I needed to take it apart to see how much wear on the ring an pinion gears. None at all. So o cleaned it up, freed the pivoting assembly and flushed out the bearings. The double seals seem new also. Will try it tomorrow.
Discovering a old gravely and trying out the implements for the first time will bring a smile to your face. All of them need a little tweaking usually as far as how you set the tractor up or set the implement up, but once you get it going it's pretty amazing.

You will be impressed with the rotary plow and how it digs hard ground and fluffs it up.

If you ever get the tiller attachment that bolts on the bottom of the rotary plow, it's wild so see the ground actually "boil" when those little tines are buried in the dirt.

Then you need to get a snowblower attachment (if you have snow). I bet you have never see something throw snow that far.
franklin2 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 08-14-2019, 03:20 PM
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 98
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

A guy I see on here once in a while - WvTeehead - rebuilt my Pierce governor last winter. He did a great job. Really glad I had him do it.
If you want his number pm me and I'll pm you his phone number.
Bodjick L is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 08-14-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Lnk
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodjick L View Post
A guy I see on here once in a while - WvTeehead - rebuilt my Pierce governor last winter. He did a great job. Really glad I had him do it.
If you want his number pm me and I'll pm you his phone number.
Yes, please do. Even though the tractor is easy to run without it, I would like it working. Gives me one less thing to have to worry about when running it. Thanks in advance.

Lnk
Lnk is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 08:38 PM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Gerrard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,646
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

[QUOTE=jrd;12325651]+1 on all that.

An issue with going after the big brambles is getting on top of them. Around me we have these terrible 12 foot high wild roses. Trying to just mow over them won't work, the stems are too sturdy. But if you pick up the leading edge of the deck about 18", you can chop them off, then drop the nose to chew up the remaining parts. You want the front guard off for this exercise.

I bought a new rear guard for my 30" deck and have a cpl old ones here but want to find someone to cut one of them down to half-height to put on the front. Everytime I ever used a full height front guard they always get in a bind or get indented or whatever but I think a half-height one would be perfect, it would not get hung up every whip-stitch and still offer some protection.
Gerrard is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 PM
jrd
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ma
Posts: 4,034
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

[quote=Gerrard;12328185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd View Post
I bought a new rear guard for my 30" deck and have a cpl old ones here but want to find someone to cut one of them down to half-height to put on the front.
It'll be cheaper to just find a used front guard.

For serious brush-hogging, you don't want any guard on the front. The name of the game is letting all the debris (of which there will be a lot) out of there ASAP. As well as making it easier to get at the big stuff like rose bushes.

It does mean you have to be a bit more careful what's in the line of fire, but as long as you're out away from the house and the dog, there's generally not much of a hazard there.

'41 L (not running)
'43 L
'44 L
'50 L
'52 L (not running)
'58 LI (not running)
'59 LI
'61 LS
'61 LS
Mutt LS
'62 LI (not running)
'63 L8
'66 L8
'66 C8
'67 C8
'74 Comm 12
'75 C8
'73 812
'74 816
UFT Mountaineer 88E
3 parts/project tractors
Too many attachments
jrd is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 08:54 PM
MTF Member
 
Joe Naab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Youngstown, New York on rising Lake Ontario
Posts: 39
Send a message via AIM to Joe Naab Send a message via MSN to Joe Naab Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Naab
Re: 30" Brush mower is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnk View Post
I can not get the pulley off without destroying it.
Want some unsolicited advice? Try using a bearing seperator, some long bolts, and a harmonic balancer puller. Along with some heat if necessary. Usually works for me if there is enough space in there to do it this way.

Ariens GT20 with lots of attachments to play with

New Holland L325 Skid Loader (money pit) with new Kohler K582 mini block, standard q. attach and likes to flip forward
Joe Naab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome