MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

-   Gravely (https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/)
-   -   Question about 50 inch deck (https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/1333639-question-about-50-inch-deck.html)

JD316Fan 08-07-2019 07:27 PM

Question about 50 inch deck
 
So I have a rather derelict Gravely 450 in my possession, and I was thinking about buying a 8123, but he wants too much for it with the deck. They both have a 50 inch deck. Would I be able to take the deck off of the 450 and install it on the 8123 with little to no modifications?

gravely1964 08-07-2019 09:26 PM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD316Fan (Post 12322311)
So I have a rather derelict Gravely 450 in my possession, and I was thinking about buying a 8123, but he wants too much for it with the deck. They both have a 50 inch deck. Would I be able to take the deck off of the 450 and install it on the 8123 with little to no modifications?

Well yes but you need the drive shaft for 800 or 8000 short frame tractors

JD316Fan 08-07-2019 10:27 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gravely1964 (Post 12322395)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD316Fan (Post 12322311)
So I have a rather derelict Gravely 450 in my possession, and I was thinking about buying a 8123, but he wants too much for it with the deck. They both have a 50 inch deck. Would I be able to take the deck off of the 450 and install it on the 8123 with little to no modifications?

Well yes but you need the drive shaft for 800 or 8000 short frame tractors


Is this all I would need to to? Would you happen to have a part number this item(s)? I know I may seem dumb but I'm just getting into Gravelys and I dont know much about them.

yamato72 08-08-2019 09:04 AM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
The 8123 and 450 are both short-frame tractors, so the driveshaft length is not a concern. What you do have to be careful of is the number of splines, early attachments had 13-spline drives. It's not insurmountable as you could potentially use the rear half of a 15-spline prop shaft with the front half of a 13-spline. If you encounter that. I don't know for sure that all the early rider attachments were 13-spline.

EDIT: Realized my goof. 8123 is long frame. Carry on!

JD316Fan 08-08-2019 05:42 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yamato72 (Post 12322591)
The 8123 and 450 are both short-frame tractors, so the driveshaft length is not a concern. What you do have to be careful of is the number of splines, early attachments had 13-spline drives. It's not insurmountable as you could potentially use the rear half of a 15-spline prop shaft with the front half of a 13-spline. If you encounter that. I don't know for sure that all the early rider attachments were 13-spline.

EDIT: Realized my goof. 8123 is long frame. Carry on!

I thought they were both short frames? I can see that the gas cap to the front of the hood is the same distance away. I thought that's how your were able to tell. If I have to buy one half of the driveshaft with 15 splines that doesnt bother me.

gravely1964 08-08-2019 10:53 PM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
3 Attachment(s)
Well if you say so. But 400 shaft lower and 800 shaft upper. There different lengths since they have 2 totally different transmissions. Even though wheel bases are pretty close
Attachment 2390189
Attachment 2390187 400, 16G and 818-T. Long frame is 6 inches longer basically

JD316Fan 08-08-2019 10:59 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Ok I understand. The 400s have the Swiftamatic transmission with the Hi/Lo and 2 speed PTO. I'd need the 15 spline male end of the driveshaft of the longer length. Thanks for the help.

yamato72 08-11-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD316Fan (Post 12322913)
I thought they were both short frames?

I’m rusty on the designations, sorry. 8000s ending in a “2” are short frame, manual lift. Ending in a “3” is a short frame, hydraulic lift. Long frame tractors end in a “9.” I honestly don’t remember if there is a designation for a long frame, manual lift 8000.

JD316Fan 08-12-2019 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yamato72 (Post 12324731)

I’m rusty on the designations, sorry. 8000s ending in a “2” are short frame, manual lift. Ending in a “3” is a short frame, hydraulic lift. Long frame tractors end in a “9.” I honestly don’t remember if there is a designation for a long frame, manual lift 8000.

It's alright. We all make our mistakes. I'm just new to Gravelys and I am trying to learn the basics. I also came across an interesting Gravely for sale and it gas an interesting set of decals and I am wondering if anybody would know what model it is. The model number on the hood has disappeared over time.

gravely1964 08-12-2019 06:07 PM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
Heres the pdf list of gravely
models riders and walk behinds, they'll tell you long short frame, motors, lifts ect http://rich.homeunix.com/gravely/Cus...88_89_1188.pdf

Scroll down to rider section

Mikey4 08-12-2019 10:39 PM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
None of the decals are standard.

The tractor is most likely an 8000 series. Just a pure guess, but maybe an 8123

8 = 8000 series

12 = 12HP

3 = hydraulic lift

the 12 could be 14 or 16 just as easily, but the 12 is the most common in that series.

JD316Fan 08-12-2019 11:59 PM

15 Attachment(s)
Like I said I'm buying an 8123. It ran last year, but he can't get it started this year. It's in pretty good shape. Is $475 a good deal? It got him down on the price, and that is included with a 50" deck. It was either 350 without deck and I buy a driveshaft, or it was 475 with the deck, and I think with deck is a better option. That way when I sell the 450 I make more because it has a deck.

yamato72 08-13-2019 11:42 AM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD316Fan (Post 12325543)
Like I said I'm buying an 8123. It ran last year, but he can't get it started this year. It's in pretty good shape. Is $475 a good deal? It got him down on the price, and that is included with a 50" deck. It was either 350 without deck and I buy a driveshaft, or it was 475 with the deck, and I think with deck is a better option. That way when I sell the 450 I make more because it has a deck.

Can't argue with the logic. Go for it.

JD316Fan 08-16-2019 09:47 PM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
EDIT: I got the 450 running yesterday. Looks like I will be able to sell it for more than I expected.

WH401 08-20-2019 03:23 PM

Re: Question about 50 inch deck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD316Fan (Post 12325543)
Like I said I'm buying an 8123. It ran last year, but he can't get it started this year. It's in pretty good shape. Is $475 a good deal? It got him down on the price, and that is included with a 50" deck. It was either 350 without deck and I buy a driveshaft, or it was 475 with the deck, and I think with deck is a better option. That way when I sell the 450 I make more because it has a deck.

For a non-runner in the mid-atlantic area I'd say that's a bit to high. I have a hard time going over $250 on a non-runner, depending on condition. Who knows what it will take to get it going again. If it was at least running and just needed some maintenance items, than $475 is a decent deal.

The other tractor you showed has been for sale for the last 8+ months. It's a repaint of some sorts, thought I haven't had a good look at the tractor in a while to determine the exact model.

Rick


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome