Gravely GMT - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
SteveSWMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Gravely GMT

I am planning on using this thread to track the repairs and upgrades for my new to me Gravely GMT.

So far I have gave the tractor a good cleaning and replaced the following items:

Engine oil and filter
Hydraulic oil and filter
Spark plugs
Upgraded the distributor to a Pertronix D061601 electronic ignition (removing the points)
Governor Oil
Replaced the starter
Greased all of the grease points
Removed the non working tach, currently searching for the best replacement
Replaced mechanical fuel pump with an electric fuel pump
Painted the valve cover orange inadvertantly, when I have time if ever I will fix.


I will update with part numbers as I get time.

Observations:
The governor seems to be very sensitive to lack of belt tension. Gotta keep the belt tight.


Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SteveSWMI is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 07-24-2019, 05:59 PM
MTF Junior Poster
 
Longboardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: South Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 12
Re: Gravely GMT

As a newb to the Gravely world I gotta say, holy smokes, that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while!

Longboardr is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 07-25-2019, 01:55 AM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,461
Barn
Re: Gravely GMT

I'm not sure I'd want that exhaust pipe like that, it appears to be exitting just in front of the rear tire, and might heat up the tire, not necessarily enough to damage the tire, but maybe enough to result in yellowing of the grass (if say, the mower sits for a minute with the engine running, making a hot spot on the tire, then moving could temporarily cause the grass to yellow).

Maybe feel the tire after the engine has been running for a bit, to see if it gets hot to the touch?
dave_r is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
SteveSWMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Re: Gravely GMT

The exhaust caught my eye at first as well and I thought the same thing. So far hasn't been a problem at all. Getting the exhaust back to a little closer to stock is on my list. I really want to weld four studs on there and get the heat shield back on, I think it just looks a lot better. I will feel the tire and see if it gets warm next time I mow.
SteveSWMI is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM
3K Poster!!!!
 
yamato72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 3,396
Barn
Re: Gravely GMT

I love it

Gravely 18-G * 50" MMM * 48" Snow Blade / Gravely 816 Project * 30" Tiller * 48" Blower / Custom Trailer
yamato72 is online now  
post #6 of 31 Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 PM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,337
Re: Gravely GMT

Exhaust should exit all the way out at the back of the tractor.

Governor operation is CRITICAL!!!!!! to the longevity of the tractor. The way the trans input shaft is designed, unless you have the bearing plate on the end where the driveshaft slips on, over-rev the engine once, and you are done. It will snap that shaft like a toothpick, and they are NLA..... (I should know, I got the last one, for just that reason.....)

That is in REALLY nice shape for it's age. Where did you get the starter from??? I was thinking about just rebuilding one of mine..... the solenoid doesn't like to stay engaged.
HeyYou is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 07-25-2019, 08:14 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 221
Re: Gravely GMT

Did Gravely use the same Renault engine used by Toro?
llawrence9 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 07-25-2019, 09:45 PM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,337
Re: Gravely GMT

Yep. I think Jacobson used the same motor as well. (Branded as a 'continental' engine.)
HeyYou is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
SteveSWMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Re: Gravely GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
As a newb to the Gravely world I gotta say, holy smokes, that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while!



Thanks, I have always wanted one of these since I was a kid. I got really lucky finding this one is great condition.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SteveSWMI is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 07-26-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
SteveSWMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Re: Gravely GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_r View Post
I'm not sure I'd want that exhaust pipe like that, it appears to be exitting just in front of the rear tire, and might heat up the tire, not necessarily enough to damage the tire, but maybe enough to result in yellowing of the grass (if say, the mower sits for a minute with the engine running, making a hot spot on the tire, then moving could temporarily cause the grass to yellow).



Maybe feel the tire after the engine has been running for a bit, to see if it gets hot to the touch?
So I felt it yesterday evening at an idle. No problem there, the tire was not even warm to the touch. So no short term problem, but I still like the idea of it going out the back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SteveSWMI is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
SteveSWMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Re: Gravely GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Exhaust should exit all the way out at the back of the tractor.



Governor operation is CRITICAL!!!!!! to the longevity of the tractor. The way the trans input shaft is designed, unless you have the bearing plate on the end where the driveshaft slips on, over-rev the engine once, and you are done. It will snap that shaft like a toothpick, and they are NLA..... (I should know, I got the last one, for just that reason.....)



That is in REALLY nice shape for it's age. Where did you get the starter from??? I was thinking about just rebuilding one of mine..... the solenoid doesn't like to stay engaged.
I picked up a PERTRONIX 600 DIGITAL REV LIMITER. I am hoping to install this weekend. I will have more piece of mind once installed. I did mow last night and the engine performed well. Very strong and steady no issues.

I will have to look and see if I have the bearing plate you are talking about. Thanks for the warning and info!

I found the on ebay, it is smaller that the original and Chinese. I also found this starter for even cheaper.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...ent-18358.html



Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SteveSWMI is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
SteveSWMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Re: Gravely GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by llawrence9 View Post
Did Gravely use the same Renault engine used by Toro?
Yes I believe so

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SteveSWMI is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 07-26-2019, 09:00 AM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,337
Re: Gravely GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSWMI View Post
I picked up a PERTRONIX 600 DIGITAL REV LIMITER. I am hoping to install this weekend. I will have more piece of mind once installed. I did mow last night and the engine performed well. Very strong and steady no issues.

I will have to look and see if I have the bearing plate you are talking about. Thanks for the warning and info!

I found the on ebay, it is smaller that the original and Chinese. I also found this starter for even cheaper.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...ent-18358.html



Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Wow, not a bad price for a brand new starter. Made in China though???

Ok, with only two question marks at the end, I am told my message is too short???? Why?

Last edited by PA318Guy; 07-26-2019 at 09:40 AM.
HeyYou is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 07-26-2019, 09:43 AM
Still lovin' the 322!
 
PA318Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 25,168
Barn
Re: Gravely GMT

HeyYou - Minimum is 4 characters IIRC! Just one of those quirks of the forum software.


SteveSWMI-BTW that is a very nice machine!!

Current Machine JD 322

Former Machines: JD 318, JD 216, JD 212, 1965 JD 110



My videos: www.youtube.com/user/tkelley16341

Where the Colonel got Oil instead of Chicken!!
PA318Guy is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 07-26-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
SteveSWMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Re: Gravely GMT

Attached is a pdf just of some pictures of what is under the mower covers as well as some belt tensioner adjustments.GMT Deck Maintenance.pdf

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SteveSWMI is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome