MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

-   Gravely (https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/)
-   -   Gravely GMT (https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/1332487-gravely-gmt.html)

SteveSWMI 07-24-2019 01:22 PM

Gravely GMT
 
I am planning on using this thread to track the repairs and upgrades for my new to me Gravely GMT.

So far I have gave the tractor a good cleaning and replaced the following items:

Engine oil and filter
Hydraulic oil and filter
Spark plugs
Upgraded the distributor to a Pertronix D061601 electronic ignition (removing the points)
Governor Oil
Replaced the starter
Greased all of the grease points
Removed the non working tach, currently searching for the best replacement
Replaced mechanical fuel pump with an electric fuel pump
Painted the valve cover orange inadvertantly, when I have time if ever I will fix.


I will update with part numbers as I get time.

Observations:
The governor seems to be very sensitive to lack of belt tension. Gotta keep the belt tight.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0bf6c9abaf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...95104bc5ec.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...57176beace.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c62c864640.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Longboardr 07-24-2019 06:59 PM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
As a newb to the Gravely world I gotta say, holy smokes, that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c62c864640.jpg

dave_r 07-25-2019 02:55 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
I'm not sure I'd want that exhaust pipe like that, it appears to be exitting just in front of the rear tire, and might heat up the tire, not necessarily enough to damage the tire, but maybe enough to result in yellowing of the grass (if say, the mower sits for a minute with the engine running, making a hot spot on the tire, then moving could temporarily cause the grass to yellow).

Maybe feel the tire after the engine has been running for a bit, to see if it gets hot to the touch?

SteveSWMI 07-25-2019 09:29 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
The exhaust caught my eye at first as well and I thought the same thing. So far hasn't been a problem at all. Getting the exhaust back to a little closer to stock is on my list. I really want to weld four studs on there and get the heat shield back on, I think it just looks a lot better. I will feel the tire and see if it gets warm next time I mow.

yamato72 07-25-2019 11:07 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
I love it :fing32::fing32::fing32:

HeyYou 07-25-2019 08:41 PM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Exhaust should exit all the way out at the back of the tractor.

Governor operation is CRITICAL!!!!!! to the longevity of the tractor. The way the trans input shaft is designed, unless you have the bearing plate on the end where the driveshaft slips on, over-rev the engine once, and you are done. It will snap that shaft like a toothpick, and they are NLA..... (I should know, I got the last one, for just that reason.....)

That is in REALLY nice shape for it's age. Where did you get the starter from??? I was thinking about just rebuilding one of mine..... the solenoid doesn't like to stay engaged. :D

llawrence9 07-25-2019 09:14 PM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Did Gravely use the same Renault engine used by Toro?

HeyYou 07-25-2019 10:45 PM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Yep. :) I think Jacobson used the same motor as well. (Branded as a 'continental' engine.)

SteveSWMI 07-26-2019 09:19 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Longboardr (Post 12313113)
As a newb to the Gravely world I gotta say, holy smokes, that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while!



https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c62c864640.jpg

Thanks, I have always wanted one of these since I was a kid. I got really lucky finding this one is great condition.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SteveSWMI 07-26-2019 09:33 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_r (Post 12313347)
I'm not sure I'd want that exhaust pipe like that, it appears to be exitting just in front of the rear tire, and might heat up the tire, not necessarily enough to damage the tire, but maybe enough to result in yellowing of the grass (if say, the mower sits for a minute with the engine running, making a hot spot on the tire, then moving could temporarily cause the grass to yellow).



Maybe feel the tire after the engine has been running for a bit, to see if it gets hot to the touch?

So I felt it yesterday evening at an idle. No problem there, the tire was not even warm to the touch. So no short term problem, but I still like the idea of it going out the back.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9e140f1d73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SteveSWMI 07-26-2019 09:41 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 12313845)
Exhaust should exit all the way out at the back of the tractor.



Governor operation is CRITICAL!!!!!! to the longevity of the tractor. The way the trans input shaft is designed, unless you have the bearing plate on the end where the driveshaft slips on, over-rev the engine once, and you are done. It will snap that shaft like a toothpick, and they are NLA..... (I should know, I got the last one, for just that reason.....)



That is in REALLY nice shape for it's age. Where did you get the starter from??? I was thinking about just rebuilding one of mine..... the solenoid doesn't like to stay engaged. :D

I picked up a PERTRONIX 600 DIGITAL REV LIMITER. I am hoping to install this weekend. I will have more piece of mind once installed. I did mow last night and the engine performed well. Very strong and steady no issues.

I will have to look and see if I have the bearing plate you are talking about. Thanks for the warning and info!

I found the on ebay, it is smaller that the original and Chinese. I also found this starter for even cheaper.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...ent-18358.html



Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SteveSWMI 07-26-2019 09:41 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by llawrence9 (Post 12313867)
Did Gravely use the same Renault engine used by Toro?

Yes I believe so

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HeyYou 07-26-2019 10:00 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSWMI (Post 12314095)
I picked up a PERTRONIX 600 DIGITAL REV LIMITER. I am hoping to install this weekend. I will have more piece of mind once installed. I did mow last night and the engine performed well. Very strong and steady no issues.

I will have to look and see if I have the bearing plate you are talking about. Thanks for the warning and info!

I found the on ebay, it is smaller that the original and Chinese. I also found this starter for even cheaper.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...ent-18358.html



Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow, not a bad price for a brand new starter. Made in China though???

Ok, with only two question marks at the end, I am told my message is too short???? Why?

PA318Guy 07-26-2019 10:43 AM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
HeyYou - Minimum is 4 characters IIRC! Just one of those quirks of the forum software.


SteveSWMI-BTW that is a very nice machine!!

SteveSWMI 07-26-2019 12:17 PM

Re: Gravely GMT
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a pdf just of some pictures of what is under the mower covers as well as some belt tensioner adjustments.Attachment 2388075

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome