MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

-   Gravely (https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/)
-   -   For the restoration purists... (https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/1326963-restoration-purists.html)

jeepagain 05-18-2019 10:21 AM

For the restoration purists...
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so there are several threads that talk about Gravely paint color. Seems a lot of folks restore the old 800 series using white, even though the official factory color is apparently "Alaska White". That's the route I'm going (using white) on a couple tractors I'm currently in process with (see the 816S here with restored hood and rims. Need to do some metal work on the seat pan yet. This pic also gives some idea of the "white" color differences. And yes, I will eventually repaint chassis, but this is an "in-service" tractor, so needed to pause and do some garden tilling!).

Part of the motivation for white over Alaska white was the two sources I know of for replacement decals (Vintage Reproductions and RG Graphix) do their hood decals in white (vs. the off-white of Alaska White - BTW I'm trying to see how many times I can type "white" in this post!).

So I throw it out there for comments/opinions. Anybody know of a decal source that's more true to the original color? Anybody finish a tractor in the original Alaska white? If so, what did you do for decals (got any pics)?

In the end, I'm not too much of a stickler either way. But I have one more tractor to restore (my first Gravely - an 812) after I finish the two that are in progress, and I'm toying with going full factory original - kinda just for fun.

Rock on!
Neil (jeepagain)

tracktortag 05-18-2019 10:03 PM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
3 Attachment(s)
You might want to talk to Craig Seabrook regarding decals. He has been reproducing a wide range of very accurate decals for quite a few years. He is one of the founders of the Gravely Club too. I'll PM you his phone number.

As for white paint, Rustoleum Canvas White is (was) another good one. It's an off white like Alaska White. It's still available some places on line, but is hard to find in retail places now. I used it on the 430, and 814 for the hoods, seat pans, and wheels. I used Alaska White on the 816. It looks a little more white in the pic from the camera flash. I added a second pic of the 816 in different light.

The original hood decals were a little more white than the paint. The bottom line is to paint it the way you want to.

yamato72 05-19-2019 01:06 AM

I still have the original hood from my 816 and the white in the decals is pretty much a pure white. The Canvas White I used to repaint the hood is nearly a dead ringer for Alaska White. The color codes are still posted in places if you want to have a shop mix up a quart for you. Industrial Touchup can also do Alaska White in a rattle can.
I’m not convinced that the 800-series wheels were Alaska White. Tough to find an original wheel in anywhere near a good enough condition to make a determination. I’d wager the factory bought the wheels from their supplier already painted.

tracktortag 05-19-2019 09:38 AM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
I also used Industrial Touch Up's Mustang Red/Orange, and Alaska White in rattle cans on the 816.

TexasT 05-22-2019 11:34 AM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
https://www.mytractorforum.com/attac...1&d=1558185032

Im diggin' the front tires. Can I get a source, part number, size? Thanks

jrd 05-22-2019 02:23 PM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasT (Post 12270359)
https://www.mytractorforum.com/attac...1&d=1558185032

Im diggin' the front tires. Can I get a source, part number, size? Thanks

Try Miller Tire. They carry Vredestien ribbed tires that look like that. That's what I run on my 4-wheelers.

TexasT 05-23-2019 10:32 AM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
Thanks, I'll check them out.

tracktortag 05-28-2019 09:16 AM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
Yes, Miller tire, and Vredestien ribbed tires. They have both tri rib, and the regular ribbed tires as on jeepagain's 816.

jeepagain 05-28-2019 09:52 AM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
The front tires are 16X6.50-8 170/60-8 6-Ply 5-Rib Deep Vredestein V61 Hay Tedder Mower Tractor. I was looking for improved steering. You can get them from several sources. One note - these do require tubes, so adds a few bucks.

-jeepagain

jeepagain 05-28-2019 09:57 AM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yamato72 (Post 12268041)
I still have the original hood from my 816 and the white in the decals is pretty much a pure white. The Canvas White I used to repaint the hood is nearly a dead ringer for Alaska White. The color codes are still posted in places if you want to have a shop mix up a quart for you. Industrial Touchup can also do Alaska White in a rattle can.
Im not convinced that the 800-series wheels were Alaska White. Tough to find an original wheel in anywhere near a good enough condition to make a determination. Id wager the factory bought the wheels from their supplier already painted.

Interestingly I just popped the rear tires off the rims of my '74 816S and the inside of the rims were pristine, much to my surprise (wish I'd have thought to take a picture). The color was a perfect match to Alaska White. I have a rattle can of Alaska White from Industrial Touch Ups and I sprayed a bit on the rim to confirm.

Of course -rims are now at the powder coating shop getting converted to white. Felt a little sad about powder coating over the original paint. :tango_face_crying:

-Neil (jeepagain)

tracktortag 05-28-2019 03:14 PM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepagain (Post 12274287)
One note - these do require tubes, so adds a few bucks.

-jeepagain

Good point. I had forgotten about using tubes when I put them on the JD 140.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepagain (Post 12274291)
Interestingly I just popped the rear tires off the rims of my '74 816S and the inside of the rims were pristine, much to my surprise (wish I'd have thought to take a picture). The color was a perfect match to Alaska White. I have a rattle can of Alaska White from Industrial Touch Ups and I sprayed a bit on the rim to confirm.

Of course -rims are now at the powder coating shop getting converted to white. Felt a little sad about powder coating over the original paint. :tango_face_crying:

-Neil (jeepagain)

Isn't it always the way..Try not losing too much sleep over it.:fing32:

jj94tt 06-12-2019 04:02 PM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
I second that the Rustoleum Canvas White is a nice match.

I've also found a red that I like - Chevy Orange/Red 1607 undercoat, with a Ford Red 1605 light topcoat. I think it is just the right blend of red and orange. The red topcoat basically lets you tone the orange tint down to your taste.

tracktortag 06-13-2019 07:42 PM

Re: For the restoration purists...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jj94tt (Post 12285051)

I think it is just the right blend of red and orange. The red topcoat basically lets you tone the orange tint down to your taste.

That's a new twist, jj. Interesting.:fing32:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome