I do enjoy sharing my Railroad projects with all of you, but I'm sure at least some of you are getting board with looking at model's of steam locomotives ( I know I'm getting a little tired of building them right now. )
After all .. unless you're into theses things .. once you've seen a model of a steam locomotive being built, you've pretty much seen them all.
So .. I've decide to do a little work on some MOW equipment ( Maintenance Of Way, for those that are wondering what the letters stand for. )
While unpacking some of my stuff, I came across this crane that I had built way back in the 70's when I was was first trying to learn how to build with metal instead of plastic and soldering them together instead of gluing.
This is made out of tin ( using the metal from an old paint thinner can ) and small diameter brass rod.
I have learned a lot about soldering and working thin metal over the years and this model is a little crude compared to the standard that I set for myself now.
This is the crane.
I've taken the back cover off of it so I could put paint remover on it and get it down inside everything.
The first thing to do, was to separate the main parts of the crane.
You can see that the crane boom was mounted using two large terminals for electrical wiring.
The pulleys are made up from putting brass eyelets together on a rod.
I'm only going to modify this enough to make it look a little more realistic but still has some of the oddball things that I used when I first built it.
The base for the crane is a single sheet of tin that extends out the front ( where the boom is attached ) and hangs out past both side of the main body.
I trimmed both sides so they are flush with the main body of the crane.
The gear and pulleys at the top front edge are for the cables that raise and lower the boom.
Originally, I had the cable for the hook running up over the center of these pulleys and going under the center of the lift pulleys out on the boom and from there, on out to the end of the boom.
Now, I made up a bracket with two rollers and mounted it down closer to the base of the crane body.
I want to use a clam-shell bucket on this crane so the cables for it will come out between these two rollers.
A piece of brass is bent up on the ends to form the new mounting bracket for the boom.
I have also soldered 1/4 inch square brass tube to the underside of the base to make it thicker.
I machined a cover out of a piece of brass for the gear on top of the crane.
The cover makes it look a little more realistic and it also has a screw in the back of it that will keep the gear from rotating.
The gear is used to wind the two boom lifting cables up on the pulleys then tightening the screw will keep the cables from unwinding.
If you'll look back at the first photos, you'll see that the framework for the cab is made out of round brass rod.
I want to be able to put glass in this cab so I cut the brass rod out so it can be replaced with pieces of angle.
This side of the cab has a hole in it that was for clearance for the boom mounting bracket.
Here I'm forming the frame for the rear window behind the seat.
The top was also held in place by the brass rod so I decided to just get rid of it and make a new frame for the top from the brass angle.
The rear window frame is soldered in place.
The brass angle is used to form the windshield frame and the support for the top of the cab.
A new roof piece is soldered to the top of the cab.
Remember that hole in the lower part of the cab to clear the mounting bracket for the boom ?
I covered that with a piece of brass.
The I used some narrow strips of steel to frame out a door and soldered a strip of brass along the back side of the door.
This looks kind of gaudy but I think it will look okay once it is painted.
I also made up a door handle and put it on.
Here is how it looks so far with the cab mounted to the main body.
The front and rear window and the two angled side windows will have clear plastic in them for the glass.
I took three straight pins with the little round heads and soldered them to a piece of brass.
This is the panel with the control levers for inside the cab ( I know a real crane has more than three levers, but this cab only has room for three. )
This is mounted to the dash inside the cab.