Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 143
Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

I have several 3000 Series tractors, with 5 currently in use.

One of them has significantly "stiffer steering" than the other 4.

The PS works and is smooth and consistent, but it takes more effort to turn the steering wheel than on the other tractors. I may even prefer the way it works, but I am wondering why it is different, and if there was some "easy" way to adjust it.

If there is an easy way to adjust, I might reduce the effort required on that one slightly and increase the effort required on the others slightly.
Joelk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Florida (Almost Alabama)
Posts: 1,159
Re: Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

It could be most anything from a restriction in the lines, or the hydraulic pump, the control unit, the filters, etc.

With so many series 3000 tractors, I imagine you have the service manual. If not, you can get it here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/74...?page=1#manual
Flaken is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Ejl in Pa.
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 176
Re: Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelk View Post
I have several 3000 Series tractors, with 5 currently in use.

One of them has significantly "stiffer steering" than the other 4.

The PS works and is smooth and consistent, but it takes more effort to turn the steering wheel than on the other tractors. I may even prefer the way it works, but I am wondering why it is different, and if there was some "easy" way to adjust it.

If there is an easy way to adjust, I might reduce the effort required on that one slightly and increase the effort required on the others slightly.
Joelk I don't see anything in the service manual for adjusting the steering pump. The difference could lie in the steering pump itself, a bind in the steering wheel shaft, or possible debris blockage in the filter screen in the charge pump on the tranny limiting flow.
ejl6658 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 336
Re: Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

Down by the battery area there is a coupling that can be tightened or loosened. Not anything to do with hydraulics or oil, it is part of the steering column. I had this issue on my basket case 3205 that I put back together. Try that and report back.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0194 - Copy.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2390681

Last edited by Oaktodd; 08-12-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Oaktodd is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 143
Re: Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktodd View Post
Down by the battery area there is a coupling that can be tightened or loosened. Not anything to do with hydraulics or oil, it is part of the steering column. I had this issue on my basket case 3205 that I put back together. Try that and report back.
Attachment 2390681
Todd, how do you adjust it?
Joelk is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Ray2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Il
Posts: 1,045
Re: Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

is this for non-adjustable and adjustable steering wheels?
Ray2 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 336
Re: Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

When I put this machine together I tightened it too tight and it was hard to turn the wheel. I loosened it and it works fine now. The 3205 has tilt wheel.
Oaktodd is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Ray2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Il
Posts: 1,045
Re: Is there an easy way to adjust the Power Steering Assist on 3000 Series Tractors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktodd View Post
When I put this machine together I tightened it too tight and it was hard to turn the wheel. I loosened it and it works fine now. The 3205 has tilt wheel.
I dont have a tilt wheel and that end is not on mine
Ray2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome