Re: winch install on my Massey MF-12 for plow
OKAY FOLKS - one more try.
Looks like hard wiring this would be MUCH easier, and CHEAPER, than I reported before. I did some investigating into the Badlands winch control module. If you open up the control box, there are two modules inside:
- a switching module that functions the same as the solenoid I used as shown above. That is the one with all the heavy wires.
- a remote control sending unit that is controlled by the clicker and functions the same as the SPDT momentary contact switch shown above.
Here is what to do:
1. unplug and/or unscrew all the connections going to the remote control unit. Set it aside. Re-tighten any of the screws loosened and leave all other wires on the solenoid intact.
2. plug in two wires to the available empty lugs and run these to your switch location. Attach to the two output poles on the switch.
3. Attach a hot lead from the input pole on the switch to an accessory point on the ignition switch, or an accessory plug-in provided on the tractor.
4. install switch in the dash. Wires can be swapped or the switch turned over for "up" and "down".
5. Hook up all the heavy wires as shown in the winch instructions to battery, ground and winch.
No doubt this will void the warranty on your winch, but I tested it with a multi-meter and there is nothing mysterious or dangerous about it. No worse than my original solution and it will cost about 10 bucks.
Last edited by ZTT42; 06-12-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Reason: add details