Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11! - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,992
Yikes Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

I must be dreaming! The nightstand alarm is going to surely sound, right?

That is what's going through my head.

I am excited, and in more unbelief than anything else, that I had the opportunity to purchase an HDT1000. Last weekend while using the 1886 for fall clean up, I was thinking how power steering would be a nice option to have. I sent a friend of mine a text with a question or two about the diesel LFs and mentioned how I might be interested in finding one, more than likely an HT20D. Kevin mentioned to contact Dave (OldBuzzard) as he knew about a top secret HDT out there that was available. My head starting spinning and told myself not to get my hopes up, but I contacted Dave who provided me the contact info however stated he hadn't been in contact with the owner for a while. I initially tried calling during the specified times Dave said the owner is reachable but wasn't able to get through initially as it rang and rang and didn't go to a voicemail. I asked Dave if he had his email and he did and this time was successful at reaching the owner, who said..... He still has it!! We settled on a deal and I'll be shipping it from CT to WA.

The machine, as described to me, is in good shape aside from a few things. The owner said he found it stored in the back of a warehouse (I think at a location maybe where he worked) and found the original 22HP Mitsubishi K3D engine to have a spun bearing. He swapped in a 25 HP Mitsubishi K3E which is nearly the same engine as the original only with a slightly bigger displacement (979cc vs.1062cc). From the photos I've seen and how it's been described, it sounds like it was done cleanly. Second, the front bolster has been repaired in the center as you can see in one of the photos below. This issue sounds "common" among the two or three other owners of these machines. I'm guessing this part is a weak point when it comes to the heavier inline 3 diesel and wasn't 'upgraded' to something structurally heavier. I would probably, in the future, see about having a new bolster CNC'd out of stronger material. Third, he mentioned the top of the hood has some waves as something was likely rested on it in the past, but it was like this when he got it. Anyway, it's going to be all fixed up.

What does the future hold for the 1886?
It is truly a bittersweet moment. Sadly, it means the 1886 is going to be sold. When I mentioned all this to my family they couldn't believe I wanted to sell it, and I didn't think I ever would either. This opportunity doesn't come about very often and I am looking forward to putting another labor of love into this unique large frame.

More to come!








1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9



Austen is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,136
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Wow Austen what a find indeed! That looks like a very nice machine, with a little TLC you will have it sparkling, maybe to nice to get dirty

That is bittersweet about the 1886, however I am sure when you sink that plow in the ground behind this little diesel you will be just as excited! I am pulling up a chair on this one. Hoping for a safe delivery



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
post #3 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 07:30 PM
4K Poster!!!!
 
Deere 332's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 4,684
Barn
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Sweet new rig! Your finally part of the GT Red Cap Club! Its sucks you have to sell the 1886 though.

So what are your plans for this tractor? Possibly a Turbo?

Current Collection

1987 John Deere 165 Hydro
1989 John Deere 332 Turbo
1991 John Deere 332

1975 John Deere 212 Electric Lift
1987 John Deere 160 aka "The Bush Hog"
1988 John Deere 318 aka "Old Smokey
198? John Deere 318 Honda Repower
1958 Farmall 130
Deere 332 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,992
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Quote:
Wow Austen what a find indeed! That looks like a very nice machine, with a little TLC you will have it sparkling, maybe to nice to get dirty

That is bittersweet about the 1886, however I am sure when you sink that plow in the ground behind this little diesel you will be just as excited! I am pulling up a chair on this one. Hoping for a safe delivery
Thanks! It's going to be fun!

Quote:
Sweet new rig! Your finally part of the GT Red Cap Club! Its sucks you have to sell the 1886 though.

So what are your plans for this tractor? Possibly a Turbo?
Thanks, yes, that's true!

It'll be setup like the 1886 with a loader.... maybe a different one than the J14 on the 1886... we'll see.

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9



Austen is online now  
post #5 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 10:35 PM
TractorNewb
 
Clevis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Clark County, Washington State, USA
Posts: 126
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
I must be dreaming! The nightstand alarm is going to surely sound, right?

That is what's going through my head.

I am excited, and in more unbelief than anything else, that I had the opportunity to purchase an HDT1000. Last weekend while using the 1886 for fall clean up, I was thinking how power steering would be a nice option to have. I sent a friend of mine a text with a question or two about the diesel LFs and mentioned how I might be interested in finding one, more than likely an HT20D. Kevin mentioned to contact Dave (OldBuzzard) as he knew about a top secret HDT out there that was available. My head starting spinning and told myself not to get my hopes up, but I contacted Dave who provided me the contact info however stated he hadn't been in contact with the owner for a while. I initially tried calling during the specified times Dave said the owner is reachable but wasn't able to get through initially as it rang and rang and didn't go to a voicemail. I asked Dave if he had his email and he did and this time was successful at reaching the owner, who said..... He still has it!! We settled on a deal and I'll be shipping it from CT to WA.

The machine, as described to me, is in good shape aside from a few things. The owner said he found it stored in the back of a warehouse (I think at a location maybe where he worked) and found the original 22HP Mitsubishi K3D engine to have a spun bearing. He swapped in a 25 HP Mitsubishi K3E which is nearly the same engine as the original only with a slightly bigger displacement (979cc vs.1062cc). From the photos I've seen and how it's been described, it sounds like it was done cleanly. Second, the front bolster has been repaired in the center as you can see in one of the photos below. This issue sounds "common" among the two or three other owners of these machines. I'm guessing this part is a weak point when it comes to the heavier inline 3 diesel and wasn't 'upgraded' to something structurally heavier. I would probably, in the future, see about having a new bolster CNC'd out of stronger material. Third, he mentioned the top of the hood has some waves as something was likely rested on it in the past, but it was like this when he got it. Anyway, it's going to be all fixed up.

What does the future hold for the 1886?
It is truly a bittersweet moment. Sadly, it means the 1886 is going to be sold. When I mentioned all this to my family they couldn't believe I wanted to sell it, and I didn't think I ever would either. This opportunity doesn't come about very often and I am looking forward to putting another labor of love into this unique large frame.

More to come!







Wow, Austen. That's amazing. Now it makes sense why OB was posting recently about this tractor on the other forum.
Congrats! Score! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

************************
HT20, HT23, 1256, G11, G14
Clevis is offline  
post #6 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 10:47 PM
4K Poster!!!!
 
Deere 332's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 4,684
Barn
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
Thanks, yes, that's true!

It'll be setup like the 1886 with a loader.... maybe a different one than the J14 on the 1886... we'll see.
So I take that as a possible turbo build? It need some BOOST!! Plus who doesn't love the sound of a good turbo spool.

Current Collection

1987 John Deere 165 Hydro
1989 John Deere 332 Turbo
1991 John Deere 332

1975 John Deere 212 Electric Lift
1987 John Deere 160 aka "The Bush Hog"
1988 John Deere 318 aka "Old Smokey
198? John Deere 318 Honda Repower
1958 Farmall 130
Deere 332 is offline  
post #7 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,992
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Quote:
Wow, Austen. That's amazing. Now it makes sense why OB was posting recently about this tractor on the other forum.
Congrats! Score! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Thanks, Clevis! You'll have to come by and take it for a spin.

Quote:
So I take that as a possible turbo build? It need some BOOST!! Plus who doesn't love the sound of a good turbo spool.


Not on this one, the HDT was produced as an export only model so there's only a few (literally) here in the states. A future turbo project on a more mainstream machine would be awesome, though! I'll be anxiously following your build.

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9



Austen is online now  
post #8 of 117 Old 11-24-2017, 11:06 PM
4K Poster!!!!
 
Deere 332's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 4,684
Barn
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post



Not on this one, the HDT was produced as an export only model so there's only a few (literally) here in the states. A future turbo project on a more mainstream machine would be awesome, though! I'll be anxiously following your build.
But it would be so cool you would have the only one! Oh well was worth a shot. Maybe turbo diesel swap the Power King.

Hopefully I'll get started on Fabbing up the turbo setup shortly. I can't wait to hear what a unmuffled 332 with a turbo is going to sound like. From what I have heard from the internet its like a cross between a straight pipe Detroit turbo diesel and a Straight pipe 12V Cummins. Should sound pretty good!

Congrats again on your extremely rare diesel rig!

Current Collection

1987 John Deere 165 Hydro
1989 John Deere 332 Turbo
1991 John Deere 332

1975 John Deere 212 Electric Lift
1987 John Deere 160 aka "The Bush Hog"
1988 John Deere 318 aka "Old Smokey
198? John Deere 318 Honda Repower
1958 Farmall 130
Deere 332 is offline  
post #9 of 117 Old 11-25-2017, 03:22 AM
Deceased Member
 
OldBuzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oberlin, Ohio
Posts: 2,028
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Trust me.

As a former owner, a turbo isn't necessary for the HDT1000.

Even with 430# of ballast on the rear (rim guard and a 105# wheel weight on each side), and the trans in low range, you will run out of traction before the engine runs out of power.

At the pull where this pic was taken, they ran out of weight to put on the sled and the HDT still had plenty of grunt left, and could have pulled more.

The only other tractor that could stay with it was a all out turbo diesel 'Cub' that was built specifically for pulling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDT Pulling.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	2141345  

Attachments: Tube frame 2500w front mounted generator, Brinly planter.
OldBuzzard is offline  
post #10 of 117 Old 11-25-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,992
Talking Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBuzzard View Post
Trust me.

As a former owner, a turbo isn't necessary for the HDT1000.

Even with 430# of ballast on the rear (rim guard and a 105# wheel weight on each side), and the trans in low range, you will run out of traction before the engine runs out of power.

At the pull where this pic was taken, they ran out of weight to put on the sled and the HDT still had plenty of grunt left, and could have pulled more.

The only other tractor that could stay with it was a all out turbo diesel 'Cub' that was built specifically for pulling.






You're certainly wetting the appetite!! I can only imagine the pulling power with the diesel motor and in low range; I'll bet you would hardly detect a plow behind it. That's impressive stuff; thanks for the pic!

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9



Austen is online now  
post #11 of 117 Old 11-25-2017, 06:22 AM
10 fingers 10 toes
 
Kubota Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shinshu Japan
Posts: 1,490
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

That's a pretty cool machine, very nice.

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------
I don't always post on the internet. But when I do, I prefer MTF.

Kubota AMX-3
Shibaura LT16B

Kubota Ronin is offline  
post #12 of 117 Old 11-25-2017, 08:09 AM
10,000 +posts!
 
Ericjr16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 10,327
Barn
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Austen what a find!! Wonder if the 1886 could be shipped to NY rather cheaply for um us MTF NY guys to use?? Ellis and Al can stop to have some fun but I is hoarder, most likely hide it in shed! LOL

Challenge Met

John Deere 180 yard tug
John Deere LX172 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345 with snowthrower
1971 Bolens 1256 snow caster
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
Many more!! changing by the day!!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised!



.
Ericjr16 is offline  
post #13 of 117 Old 11-25-2017, 09:02 AM
10,000 +posts!
 
glenn27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 16,194
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Very cool--Austen...Very neat....
Awaiting it's arrival @ your door.


Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!
Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is offline  
post #14 of 117 Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: ny
Posts: 833
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

Austen, I can't believe you would part with that better then new showroom 1886, I hope you have great luck with you new toy,
rjmartinny is offline  
post #15 of 117 Old 11-25-2017, 07:38 PM
blackjackjakexxix

 
blackjackjakexxix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: pa
Posts: 1,085
Re: Purchased Bolens HDT1000 #11!

This one is truly going to the right home,I'm sure when your done with it, it will be in tip top shape,congrats on getting it,will be watching for updates
blackjackjakexxix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome