Center mower blade keeps coming loose! - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Center mower blade keeps coming loose!

Hey guys. Deutz allis 1920 with 60" deck. The center blade keeps coming loose (during heavy use, leaves, rocks etc, not during normal mowing) but the others don't seem to have this issue. Clearly it was an issue with the previous owner too, judging by the condition of the centering washer. (I had to replace it). Is this an issue with these? I did everything I could think of. Made sure the blade is balanced. Bolt was tight. Even added a lock washer. Saturday it happened again. I have now put it on with blue loctite and I guess we will see what happens. Any clues?
BoltsNhose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 03:16 PM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,194
Barn
Re: Center mower blade keeps coming loose!

threads are perhaps worn or have oil/grease on them?
dave_r is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 570
Re: Center mower blade keeps coming loose!

Try using some medium strength thread locker on the bolts.
Dee_Veloper is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
arathol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 428
Re: Center mower blade keeps coming loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltsNhose View Post
Hey guys. Deutz allis 1920 with 60" deck. The center blade keeps coming loose (during heavy use, leaves, rocks etc, not during normal mowing) but the others don't seem to have this issue. Clearly it was an issue with the previous owner too, judging by the condition of the centering washer. (I had to replace it). Is this an issue with these? I did everything I could think of. Made sure the blade is balanced. Bolt was tight. Even added a lock washer. Saturday it happened again. I have now put it on with blue loctite and I guess we will see what happens. Any clues?
Any pictures would help. Did you replace that washer with the correct part?
arathol is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 06:43 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,397
Threads are worn and not holding torque well. If the locktite doesn't get it you can make the nut into a castle nut and drill the spindle for a cotter pin or weld the blade on the spindle.

I welded one on my old wheelhorse that kept falling off with the intent to take the pulley nut off and drop the shaft/blade out together for sharpening. The shaft alone was $50. Shortly after that I got it hung up on a root and broke the spindle housing--had to buy one anyways. I got the shaft.

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
arathol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 428
Re: Center mower blade keeps coming loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Urquell View Post
Threads are worn and not holding torque well. If the locktite doesn't get it you can make the nut into a castle nut and drill the spindle for a cotter pin or weld the blade on the spindle.
Not how it works with many Simplicity decks. The blade is located on the arbor shaft by a splined washer.
The arbor sticks out just a bit from that washer.



The blade is secured by a spring washer. Its cupped a bit in the center and applies a clamping force around the edge, not the center.



So, if that outer spring washer is not the correct part or is flattened out, you can tighten the bolt all you want but it won't keep the blade from spinning on the arbor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Urquell View Post
I welded one on my old wheelhorse that kept falling off with the intent to take the pulley nut off and drop the shaft/blade out together for sharpening. The shaft alone was $50. Shortly after that I got it hung up on a root and broke the spindle housing--had to buy one anyways. I got the shaft.
Welding the blade on this deck would make it near impossible to the sharpen the blade, let alone replace it...
arathol is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,397
Re: Center mower blade keeps coming loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathol View Post
Not how it works with many Simplicity decks. The blade is located on the arbor shaft by a splined washer.
The arbor sticks out just a bit from that washer.



The blade is secured by a spring washer. Its cupped a bit in the center and applies a clamping force around the edge, not the center.



So, if that outer spring washer is not the correct part or is flattened out, you can tighten the bolt all you want but it won't keep the blade from spinning on the arbor.

Got it. Thanks.




Welding the blade on this deck would make it near impossible to the sharpen the blade, let alone replace it...
On my WH all you had to do was remove the pulley nut on top of the deck and drop the whole shaft and welded on blade out of the bottom for sharpening. It was on a mower I hated and intended to get rid of and didn't want to put money into.

When I broke the spindle housing I bought just the shaft, housing, and a nut and it cost me ~$150 to repair 1 spindle and that was re-using the bearings and spacer. No assembled spindle is available--parts only.

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 03:52 PM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,194
Barn
Re: Center mower blade keeps coming loose!

This looks more like a setup like my Gravely ZT XL 42, where the bolt holding the blade on screws into the spindle's shaft, rather than going all the way through it.

You (the O.P.) might try just getting a new bolt, or switch bolts with one of the other spindles and see if it moves with the bolt.
dave_r is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blade changing safety? rahfish John Deere Forum 18 05-11-2019 07:17 AM
60" MMM help Steamguy Kubota 6 10-03-2018 12:11 PM
X590 Front or Rear Blade jma24 John Deere Forum 17 07-19-2018 08:44 PM
Blade Belt issues with 2013 Troy-Bilt (MTD) mower KArthur MTD 10 07-18-2018 10:15 PM
318 pto center bolt loose nyfrozenbrain John Deere Forum 1 02-25-2018 05:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome