Re Seed My Lawn? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-06-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
MTF Member
 
Howdy Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 61
Re Seed My Lawn?

I hope I can get some feedback about reseeding my back lawn. My lawn is 5,000 sq. ft and 75% of it has been overtaken by "bent grass" which has accumulated over several years. Bent grass may be fine on a golf course but it's terrible on my lawn. As a retired farmer with some knowledge of herbicides, I'm aware that bent grass can not be killed selectively so my whole lawn has got to go! I do have the advantage of having inground irrigation and my own water well. OK: Here's my plan.

Spray my entire lawn with "Roundup" then immediately use a "slit seeder" and reseed the lawn. As roundup has no effect on seeds and is rendered inactive once it touches the soil, I'm sure this will work. Next, I plan to let the lawn sit for 2-3 days for the Roundup to be absorbed into the grass blades (hoping for no rain). Then, turn on my irrigation to water 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a day until the new grass sprouts. The old grass will die gradually, shading the new grass as it comes up. Out with the old, in with the new.

Any comments?

2012 Snapper RER Series 23 Model 7800649 B&S Engine 12.5 HP with Ninja Blade
Howdy Do is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Hammerhead007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sask,Canada
Posts: 436
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

What kind of grass seed will you be using. My yard will need about 7 different kinds of weeds and some other kinds of plants I don't even know what they are. Will Round Up work on all of it? I do know I am looking at killing everything and reseeding. I have about 1.25 acres to seed and probably not all at once. I'm tuned in to see how this goes.

Hammerhead007 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
MTF Member
 
Howdy Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 61
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead007 View Post
What kind of grass seed will you be using. My yard will need about 7 different kinds of weeds and some other kinds of plants I don't even know what they are. Will Round Up work on all of it? I do know I am looking at killing everything and reseeding. I have about 1.25 acres to seed and probably not all at once. I'm tuned in to see how this goes.
Roundup will everything (almost) that has leaves. It is a "systemic" herbicide. It is absorbed through the leaves and travels down the stem to the root and kills from the root up, unlike many broadleaf weed killers like 2-4-D ect. that just burn the top off. It should be applied 5-8 hours before rain and it will take 7-10 days to see any results.

Also, if you know a farmer, get it from him because the "stuff" you buy in stores is 90% water. The agricultural type is full strength, so an ounce per gallon (a bit more if the plant is stressed) will do in most instances.

As I live in Ontario and you are in Sask, grass blends and soil types are different. We don't have "gumbo" here

2012 Snapper RER Series 23 Model 7800649 B&S Engine 12.5 HP with Ninja Blade
Howdy Do is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 10:28 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Hammerhead007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sask,Canada
Posts: 436
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Yes I have access to the good stuff. Sandy soil where I live, and grass will grow quite nice here but the water doesn't stay around long and quite dry conditions usually result in a lot of brown grass. The crab grass looks awesome...lol... as does everything else. Can't run any irrigation until I install a well pump, which may not happen till next summer. Might have to waite this out till next summer and hope mother nature keeps throwing a little moisture our way each week. If you click on the pic you can see what I'm dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190628_174734369_HDR.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2385557  

Hammerhead007 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
MTF Member
 
Howdy Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 61
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead007 View Post
Yes I have access to the good stuff. Sandy soil where I live, and grass will grow quite nice here but the water doesn't stay around long and quite dry conditions usually result in a lot of brown grass. The crab grass looks awesome...lol... as does everything else. Can't run any irrigation until I install a well pump, which may not happen till next summer. Might have to wait this out till next summer and hope mother nature keeps throwing a little moisture our way each week. If you click on the pic you can see what I'm dealing with.
Oh yes, I see your problem. In my area those without irrigation will reseed in Sept. to mid Oct., the sun is not so direct and it's usually wetter. Everyone on my street has brown lawns in July and August too. I'm the only idiot mowing my lawn while they sit smiling and drinking a beer. Another trick I've used it to plant oats mixed with your grass seed. The oats will come up quicker to shade the new grass and oats will freeze off in winter leaving just grass.

2012 Snapper RER Series 23 Model 7800649 B&S Engine 12.5 HP with Ninja Blade
Howdy Do is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Hammerhead007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sask,Canada
Posts: 436
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Never considered adding in oats, but was thinking fall seeding would help out as well as maybe throwing down some fertilizer in the fall after a good rain or maybe waite till a light dusting of snow. If I seed when it starts to get colder in the fall will that affect grass germination in the spring, or is there a type of grass seed just for that purpose?

Hammerhead007 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Hammerhead007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sask,Canada
Posts: 436
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Can I use roundup in the late summer early fall to kill off everything then throw seed down before it snows? As well as fertilize in the fall. I am not a farmer and unsure of how all this is suppose to work...lol.

Hammerhead007 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
MTF Member
 
Howdy Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 61
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead007 View Post
Never considered adding in oats, but was thinking fall seeding would help out as well as maybe throwing down some fertilizer in the fall after a good rain or maybe waite till a light dusting of snow. If I seed when it starts to get colder in the fall will that affect grass germination in the spring, or is there a type of grass seed just for that purpose?
Applying some fertilizer after reseeding is ok but not too much as to burn the tender grass shoots. Also, I'd use a fertilizer with a high middle number (Phosphorus) for root growth and a low first number (Nitrogen). Nitrogen is not that important at this stage because nitrogen is mainly meant to feed the leaves which you won't have at this point. Once the lawn is well established and growing vigorously then you can add nitrogen.

I'm not sure about germination and a light dusting of snow. I have read that you can sow grass seed on top of the snow in early spring with no problem but I've never tried that. You might find that answer on google, it knows everything.

2012 Snapper RER Series 23 Model 7800649 B&S Engine 12.5 HP with Ninja Blade
Howdy Do is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
MTF Member
 
Howdy Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 61
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead007 View Post
Can I use roundup in the late summer early fall to kill off everything then throw seed down before it snows? As well as fertilize in the fall. I am not a farmer and unsure of how all this is suppose to work...lol.
Yes you can use Roundup then but I'm sure you will find that the complete kill time will be longer because Roundup works best and quicker when it's warm and the plant is growing, but IT WILL work, just be patient.

Another thing you might want to try (which I have done), after all the spraying is done and before you start to reseed, buy this from Canadian Tire: Install it and adjust blade height as directed and an extra set of springs might be a wise purchase because they do wear down. Run over your lawn before you seed to "rough" up the soil and when you're done seeding run over it again to cover the seed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dethatch Blade.png
Views:	14
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2385573  

2012 Snapper RER Series 23 Model 7800649 B&S Engine 12.5 HP with Ninja Blade
Howdy Do is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Hammerhead007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sask,Canada
Posts: 436
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Ah yes... I have used those on my walk behind mower. You don't stop and talk to neighbors while the mower is running...lol. I will invest in a pair of those for the riding mower if they are available for it. So I guess then my plan will be to use round up towards the end of August and kill all weeds then when the moment is right I will reseed with Scotts turf builder and water it good and then put down fertilizer with a high middle number (Phosphorus) for root growth and a low first number (Nitrogen). Then water as required with garden sprinkler off the house. I guess I better go get a 200 foot garden hose. THANK YOU for all your help and tips. This just saved me from having an "out of control"--controlled burn...lol.

Hammerhead007 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
funengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 263
Re Seed My Lawn?

Iím going to offer my $.02 here. I would agree that your best bet is to use concentrate Roundup. Mix with water per directions and use PPE. Rubber gloves, long sleeves, pants and rubber boots if you have them. Roundup is not as safe as Monsanto would like you to believe. Wash your clothes separately from the families.

Apply once and wait 7-10 days to find the areas you missed. Reapply to those missed areas. Wait another 7-10 days. Do not seed immediately after applying Roundup. Wait 3-4 days.

While youíre waiting for your beautiful bent grass to die select a nice northern cool weather grass mix. If you intend to water then a blend of 3-4 improved bluegrass varieties and 2 varieties of perennial ryegrass will work. If you want a lower maintenance lawn look for a mix that includes more fescues and less bluegrass (the bluegrass requires more nitrogen and water.). No need to add oats or annual rye if you select a mix with some good perennial rye blend.

Take your mower and cut the now dead grass as short as you can. You can mulch it (preferred) or bag it. Mulching leaves the clippings which help to retain water and protect your new seedlings.

Rent a slit seeder and overseed the lawn applying half the seed in one direction and the other half 90 degrees to the first. The slit seeder will cover the seed properly, no need to use a scarifier on your mower deck. They tend to put a lot of stress on the bearings and seals of your motor or spindle causing premature wear and failure.

Roll the area after seeding to make sure you have good soil and seed contact. You can apply a starter fertilizer now or after the seed germinates.

Water to keep soil moist for best germination. Twice a day every day for 30 days is best. Your ryegrass will germinate in 7-10 days. Bluegrass 15-30 days. The ryegrass will provide shade for your bluegrass seedlings. Keep watering after germination just not twice a day or every day. Your new seedlings need moisture and food to survive. You should wait until the grass is 3-4 inches tall before your first mowing. You might also want to give it another shot of starter fertilizer 30-45 days after germination.

Mow high (3+ inches) to shade out weed species and develop deep roots. Apply herbicide as needed but not before the new grass has hardened off. Maybe after 6-8 cuttings or better yet wait till next year. Make sure your blades are sharp and if you can use a push mower for the first few mowings. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the blade length. Frequent mowing will give you a denser turf.

Regular watering, fertilizer and herbicide as needed will give you a beautiful lust green lawn you can be proud of.

This is a picture of my backyard. I had the same situation as the OP and followed the exact method I just described. This lawn is about 22 months old and is irrigated and gets 5 applications of fertilizer a year.

Hope this is helpful.

He who dies with the most toys, still dies.
Wheel Horse: Commando 8, 857, 603, Lawn Ranger L-157, (2) C-81, 211-5
John Deere X530

Last edited by funengineer; 07-07-2019 at 07:25 PM.
funengineer is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Hammerhead007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sask,Canada
Posts: 436
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

That's some nice grass there funengineer. I will look into different types of grass and see what I can find. The roundup is not a problem. I know all to well how this stuff can do the body harm. All precautions will be taken, I can assure you of that.Thanks for your 2c as well. Slit spreader...hmmm, will have a look at this and see what it's all about. Thanks again.

Hammerhead007 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
funengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 263
Re Seed My Lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead007 View Post
That's some nice grass there funengineer. I will look into different types of grass and see what I can find. The roundup is not a problem. I know all to well how this stuff can do the body harm. All precautions will be taken, I can assure you of that.Thanks for your 2c as well. Slit spreader...hmmm, will have a look at this and see what it's all about. Thanks again.

Thanks Hammerhead.
If you canít find a slit seeder to rent here are a couple of options. You could rent a dethatcher. You would have to set it lower than normal and probably have to remove most of the dead grass. Again use it in two directions 90 degrees to each other. You can remove the dead grass by raking or bagging with a mower. The dethatcher if set low enough will cut grooves into the soil so you can get the good soil seed contact you need for germination.

Another option is to use a pull behind dethatcher. I used this method when I renovated some lawn areas along my wood line. It works extremely well as you can get pretty aggressive in preparing the seed bed based on how much weight you use and how many times you go over it.

Once youíre prepared the seed bed by either of these methods, broadcast seed in two different directions. When done broadcasting take a metal leaf rake turn it over so the tines face up and GENTLY drag it over the seeded area. This helps to mix the seed and soil similar to a slit seeder.

Then roll, fertilize and water as stated in my previous reply.

Hope this helps.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He who dies with the most toys, still dies.
Wheel Horse: Commando 8, 857, 603, Lawn Ranger L-157, (2) C-81, 211-5
John Deere X530
funengineer is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 07-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 500
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

I guess you could call this the poor man's method I used my cheapo "star tine aerator", not the plug type. I ran this over and over my lawn until it looked like it was getting "torn up". I then used a broadcast seeder to spread the seed. Then, I went back over it again with the aerator to be sure the seed was in contact with the dirt, followed by a roller and watering.

I doubt that my method likely wasted some seed, but I was using what equipment I had. It did come up and thicken the lawn dramatically.

X 500 48" Deck 48" blade
Cyclone Rake
Stihl BR 600
Sears Suburban Super 12 1968
Craftsman 1990 something LG Tractor 46" deck
Original Kohler 8hp Giant Vac early 1960s
Alien5044 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 07-08-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
MTF Member
 
Howdy Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 61
Re: Re Seed My Lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funengineer View Post
Iím going to offer my $.02 here. I would agree that your best bet is to use concentrate Roundup. Mix with water per directions and use PPE. Rubber gloves, long sleeves, pants and rubber boots if you have them. Roundup is not as safe as Monsanto would like you to believe. Wash your clothes separately from the families.

Apply once and wait 7-10 days to find the areas you missed. Reapply to those missed areas. Wait another 7-10 days. Do not seed immediately after applying Roundup. Wait 3-4 days.

While youíre waiting for your beautiful bent grass to die select a nice northern cool weather grass mix. If you intend to water then a blend of 3-4 improved bluegrass varieties and 2 varieties of perennial ryegrass will work. If you want a lower maintenance lawn look for a mix that includes more fescues and less bluegrass (the bluegrass requires more nitrogen and water.). No need to add oats or annual rye if you select a mix with some good perennial rye blend.

Take your mower and cut the now dead grass as short as you can. You can mulch it (preferred) or bag it. Mulching leaves the clippings which help to retain water and protect your new seedlings.

Rent a slit seeder and overseed the lawn applying half the seed in one direction and the other half 90 degrees to the first. The slit seeder will cover the seed properly, no need to use a scarifier on your mower deck. They tend to put a lot of stress on the bearings and seals of your motor or spindle causing premature wear and failure.

Roll the area after seeding to make sure you have good soil and seed contact. You can apply a starter fertilizer now or after the seed germinates.

Water to keep soil moist for best germination. Twice a day every day for 30 days is best. Your ryegrass will germinate in 7-10 days. Bluegrass 15-30 days. The ryegrass will provide shade for your bluegrass seedlings. Keep watering after germination just not twice a day or every day. Your new seedlings need moisture and food to survive. You should wait until the grass is 3-4 inches tall before your first mowing. You might also want to give it another shot of starter fertilizer 30-45 days after germination.

Mow high (3+ inches) to shade out weed species and develop deep roots. Apply herbicide as needed but not before the new grass has hardened off. Maybe after 6-8 cuttings or better yet wait till next year. Make sure your blades are sharp and if you can use a push mower for the first few mowings. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the blade length. Frequent mowing will give you a denser turf.

Regular watering, fertilizer and herbicide as needed will give you a beautiful lust green lawn you can be proud of.

This is a picture of my backyard. I had the same situation as the OP and followed the exact method I just described. This lawn is about 22 months old and is irrigated and gets 5 applications of fertilizer a year.

Hope this is helpful.
You have some very good points but I'd like to ask 2 questions. Why do you say: "Do not seed immediately after applying Roundup. Wait 3-4 days". Also, what are those off colour spots in the picture? Thanks:

2012 Snapper RER Series 23 Model 7800649 B&S Engine 12.5 HP with Ninja Blade
Howdy Do is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome