Adding Hour meter - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Munford TN - ~25 miles north of Memphis TN
Posts: 13
Adding Hour meter

I recently purchased (23 May 19) a new 33" snapper (classic) with 15.1 engine. I would like to add an hour meter to it
but not sure where the best place would be to mount it and where to connect wires. I have a 2013 "turtle" style snapper and had hour meter installed
on it - I am trying to sell my 2013 snapper - Reason I got the 2019 is that it can lift on rear bumper for cleaning.
I wonder how much the new snapper weighs?

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler%C2%A...ateway&sr=8-20


Butch
Butch73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 AM
Senior MTF Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 12,716
Re: Adding Hour meter

Most likely there is a wire running to a solenoid on the bottom of the engine carb, I would tap into the terminal or wire supplying this lead for the meter. As for mounting I have no idea what type of mounting the meter has but I would locate it on the panel under the right side under the seat.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
MARK (LI)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: LONG ISLAND, NY
Posts: 1,434
Re: Adding Hour meter

Get one of these on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Digital...oAAOxyi-ZTadfv
just wrap the wire around the spark plug cable about 3 or 4 times...gives tach and hours...and work pretty well
I stuck it on the dash so I can see it while operating...only about 19 dollars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3895.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2378643  

Last edited by MARK (LI); 05-28-2019 at 08:33 AM.
MARK (LI) is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 05-28-2019, 10:30 AM
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: georgia's toe-nails of the foot hills
Posts: 4,573
Re: Adding Hour meter

The hour meter/tach combination is available from aliexpress also. I have purchased five, I think. They have resettable 'service' intervals, show the rpm when running, and display the total hours/tenths when off. It will take a week or two for them to show up, perhaps longer. Cost about $6-8, to your mailbox.
They come with a pair of zip ties and an instruction sheet. Battery is expected to last several years. There are models that have replaceable batteries at higher cost.
The tach function is settable for number of cylinders/2T/4T, etc.
The wire that is wrapped around the spark plug is over a meter in length. I thought about running the wire through the central beam of the Snapper, but have decided I would not want it by the controls as there's no good place(IMO). I think I'll put it back by the engine, perhaps on the cooling shroud, using two-sided tape. I don't need to watch the tach when mowing, though it might be interesting for a minute or two.
I would suggest using tape or bread-tie wires to secure the meter wire to the sparkplug wire.

tom

simplificate & add lightness

It's not how hard you work, it's how much you get done.
tomw0 is online now  
post #5 of 22 Old 05-28-2019, 11:08 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
MARK (LI)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: LONG ISLAND, NY
Posts: 1,434
Re: Adding Hour meter

I meant to say 9 dollars...not 19
MARK (LI) is online now  
post #6 of 22 Old 05-28-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Munford TN - ~25 miles north of Memphis TN
Posts: 13
Re: Adding Hour meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK (LI) View Post
I meant to say 9 dollars...not 19
So when you changed the battery do you lose all the data (hours)?
If so then are you able to reset it to what hours you've accumulated?
Butch73 is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 05-28-2019, 02:55 PM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,160
Barn
Re: Adding Hour meter

I also bought a dozen timers that look like the one in post #3 from China, a couple were DOA when I eventually went to use them, and foolishly tossed them. Now, for the last couple that have failed, I've pryed the back off, resoldered the battery connections and glued the back on, and it's working again. All the hours are lost, and it has no way to set accumulated hours, short of making a pulse generator and connecting to the timer for whatever hours you want to set it to.
dave_r is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 06-06-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Munford TN - ~25 miles north of Memphis TN
Posts: 13
Re: Adding Hour meter

Would a wire connection at the ignition switch have to be done or necessary. I'm more interested in wiring in an analog meter such as this
https://www.amazon.com/Aimilar-Mecha...gateway&sr=8-3

1. Trying to figure where to mount it.
2. Would have to locate a hot wire to splice into
perhaps inside one of the wire bundles under the seat.
3. I prefer this type meter as it is analog and no risk to
a reset nor any batteries required.
4. Looking for wire schematics for this mower.
Butch73 is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 AM
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: georgia's toe-nails of the foot hills
Posts: 4,573
Re: Adding Hour meter

I do not know of any powered 'accessories' used by the Snapper, so Walt's suggestion of tapping into the ABF solenoid for 'on time' power is about the only thing that IS powered and switch controlled.
The ignition switches on Snappers for the most part just ground/un-ground the ignition, with un-grounded enabling the engine to run.
Good luck trying to find a schematic, please report back if you do. I mapped out what I could years ago on a series 8, trying to figure out why it intermittently just stopped, and was sometimes very un-startable. A kill mechanism was failing, FWIW. But I did not find a schematic.
Have fun on your 'go-kart' mower. The steering on them is so quick, it's like driving a go-kart.
tom

simplificate & add lightness

It's not how hard you work, it's how much you get done.
tomw0 is online now  
post #10 of 22 Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Munford TN - ~25 miles north of Memphis TN
Posts: 13
Re: Adding Hour meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw0 View Post
I do not know of any powered 'accessories' used by the Snapper, so Walt's suggestion of tapping into the ABF solenoid for 'on time' power is about the only thing that IS powered and switch controlled.
The ignition switches on Snappers for the most part just ground/un-ground the ignition, with un-grounded enabling the engine to run.
Good luck trying to find a schematic, please report back if you do. I mapped out what I could years ago on a series 8, trying to figure out why it intermittently just stopped, and was sometimes very un-startable. A kill mechanism was failing, FWIW. But I did not find a schematic.
Have fun on your 'go-kart' mower. The steering on them is so quick, it's like driving a go-kart.
tom
Thanks for the info. BTW, what is ABF? A brand name?
Sounds like the starter/ignition switch is not relevant in wiring in the meter i.e., no additional wire(s) added to the starter switch.

Butch
Butch73 is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 06-07-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Munford TN - ~25 miles north of Memphis TN
Posts: 13
Re: Adding Hour meter

I've found the schematic.




Butch73 is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 AM
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: georgia's toe-nails of the foot hills
Posts: 4,573
Re: Adding Hour meter

Some carburetors are fitted with a fuel blocking solenoid. It does not stop fuel from flowing into the float bowl, but blocks fuel being fed to the main jet. With the main blocked, the engine cannot run above idle speed, if that. The purpose is supposed to be to prevent backfire upon shutdown. Thus ABF - AntiBackFire - solenoid.
There is reference above to an 'afterfire solenoid', but I have not really looked closely.
tom

simplificate & add lightness

It's not how hard you work, it's how much you get done.
tomw0 is online now  
post #13 of 22 Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
mowergene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Tennessee Mountains
Posts: 1,742
Re: Adding Hour meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw0 View Post
The hour meter/tach combination is available from aliexpress also. I have purchased five, I think. They have resettable 'service' intervals, show the rpm when running, and display the total hours/tenths when off. It will take a week or two for them to show up, perhaps longer. Cost about $6-8, to your mailbox.
They come with a pair of zip ties and an instruction sheet. Battery is expected to last several years. There are models that have replaceable batteries at higher cost.
The tach function is settable for number of cylinders/2T/4T, etc.
The wire that is wrapped around the spark plug is over a meter in length. I thought about running the wire through the central beam of the Snapper, but have decided I would not want it by the controls as there's no good place(IMO). I think I'll put it back by the engine, perhaps on the cooling shroud, using two-sided tape. I don't need to watch the tach when mowing, though it might be interesting for a minute or two.
I would suggest using tape or bread-tie wires to secure the meter wire to the sparkplug wire.

tom
Zip tie won't have the wire in it which could affect the reading.

In the past:
Craftsman, MTD, Snapper, 1961 Ford 801 Powermaster, 1992 LB 4.5HP 580546, 2003 LB 10552 6.5HP Duraforce, IH Cub Cadet 105, 2001 Cub Cadet 2146 14HP Linamar 38" deck, love of my life (Sold 10 Dec 2011), 2007 Cub Cadet 2550 22HP Kohler Vtwin 50"deck (Sold 22 Aug 2018)
In use:
1994 JD LX178 sweet little mower, only 15HP, twin cyl, 38" deck, liquid cooled!
1998 JD 445 22HP Shaft driven wheels, shaft driven 60" deck, diff-lock, hydraulic lift, power steering, fuel & temp gauges, fuel injected, and liquid cooled! This machine has it all!
2005 Nortrak NT 254 25HP Diesel 5' FEL, here's a case of cost-cutting, I only need a tractor 3 or 4 times a year

Going to try to stay Liquid Cooled the rest of my life! Hey, it gets HOT here!
mowergene is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 06-08-2019, 08:49 PM
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Adding Hour meter

Mine looks a lot like Mark's. It has its own battery which claims to be good for 10 years. I've gotten 6 so far.
BufordT is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 06-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
mowergene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Tennessee Mountains
Posts: 1,742
Re: Adding Hour meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordT View Post
Mine looks a lot like Mark's. It has its own battery which claims to be good for 10 years. I've gotten 6 so far.
Mine, too, has 6 - 8 years on it. Not much current draw for sure!

In the past:
Craftsman, MTD, Snapper, 1961 Ford 801 Powermaster, 1992 LB 4.5HP 580546, 2003 LB 10552 6.5HP Duraforce, IH Cub Cadet 105, 2001 Cub Cadet 2146 14HP Linamar 38" deck, love of my life (Sold 10 Dec 2011), 2007 Cub Cadet 2550 22HP Kohler Vtwin 50"deck (Sold 22 Aug 2018)
In use:
1994 JD LX178 sweet little mower, only 15HP, twin cyl, 38" deck, liquid cooled!
1998 JD 445 22HP Shaft driven wheels, shaft driven 60" deck, diff-lock, hydraulic lift, power steering, fuel & temp gauges, fuel injected, and liquid cooled! This machine has it all!
2005 Nortrak NT 254 25HP Diesel 5' FEL, here's a case of cost-cutting, I only need a tractor 3 or 4 times a year

Going to try to stay Liquid Cooled the rest of my life! Hey, it gets HOT here!
mowergene is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome