Well I too had the big disappointment
with the sears snowblower and the wet snow/slush this week. I also know that part of MY difficulty is the lack of hp with this tractor (ONLY 10hp)
I searched in the forum and on the web and I found references to an add on for the impeller which can be purchased from the following web site... Clarence's small engines http://smllengns.tripod.com/index.html
It reportedly boosts the throwing distance "30%"
Being the cheapskate that I am, I didn't want to pay for this improvement. I set out to reinvent the wheel.
I bought hay baler belting from the local TSC. It is a reinforced flexible rubber about 3/16 thick and is sold by the foot . It comes in a variety of widths, but I bought the 7 in type.
It will be bolted to the paddles on the auger. This rubber will seal the gap between the housing and the paddle which throws the snow. On my blower the gap was between 3/8 to 1/2 in
I measured and cut the belting using a sharp utility knife.
I then cut a piece of steel bar stock with holes, which I already had. It was about 2 in wide.
I then clamped the rubber and bar stock to paddle so that the rubber brushed against the housing.
I then used a LONG drill bit
to drill down through the discharge chute and the auger and rubber.
I tried to use the pre-made holes in my bar stock, but you wouldn't need to do this.
I used a 3/16 drill for this to mark the locations for the bolts. Next, I used a 1/4 bit to finish the holes from the other side.
I used stainless machine bolts with nylock nuts & flat washers, because it was what I had, If I had to do it again, I would recommend hex head bolts.
I also used anti seize on the bolts, just in case I need to remove them later
These photos show it assembled.
And here is the the assembled machine
Now I just need to wait for more snow to try it out again, I'm sure that it didn't make it worse.
I'll let you know when I know more.