I may have mentioned in my last thread, the guy I got my last two machines from asked me to work on his GT19.9 because he didn't have a lot of time, and I have a little more experience on Onans. So I took it home with me, and started by giving it a good cleaning. The machine was very dirty, so I started out by spraying the whole thing down with 2 cans of oven cleaner, which has been the most effective at literally spray it on, wash it off cleaning (you still need to wash it with dish soap or something after you are done, because the oven cleaner can cling a long time)
After the first two cans of oven cleaner, it still had a lot of caked on dirt and grease, so I did two more cans of foamy lemon scent oven cleaner (which seems to work best BTW, even cheap brands, the lemon foamy seems to work best) and that took almost all the grease, and most of the paint off too LOL.
This machine was originally silver and black, then was painted white on a loft of the metal, then painted red and black, and looked terrible. A lot of the red came off when cleaning it, and the black on the frame almost all came off to bare metal. I had to pull the motor out to effectively clean it, and also to grind the steering gear off the bottom of the shaft so I could change the dash because the steering wheel was rusty welded on...
When I got the motor out, I realized almost all the bolts on the engine tins were missing, the starter was wedged into the frame with boards because the top bolt boss was broken off the block, and the starter was all loose on the motor because the one ear that was bolted on had been broken off, and re-welded back on. So I had to pull the flywheel, and drill and tap the block where the boss broke off, then put spacers in behind the starter, and get it on the block, then put the flywheel back on, and set the lash to the flywheel before tightening it up the last time.
Then I did a tune up on the motor, plugs, cleaned carb, sealed the intake, oil and filter, set the points and filed them clean.
I cleaned up some wiring issued when I swapped the dash in, I put a better non-broken nose cone on the tractor that the owner had, and while I was at it, because most of the paint came off, I had to repaint it because I can't send an ugly tractor back to the owner. I got all the wiring set, headlights in, taillight working, new drive belt, new fuel line and filter, new fuel pump, new air filter, and got it running again.
I was gonna post all the pictures here, but I made a quick youtube video, so I will post the link here