What is the status of Sears as a retailer? - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 83 Old 07-04-2019, 06:37 AM
MTF Member
 
oldfart50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 32
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

they used to give lifetime warranties on their tools ,at least the hand tools, You had a ratchet go bad take it bad and you got a new one. Then they went to giving you a rebuilt kit instead. The warranties they have now ,i think you need to resister your tool and keep all your paper works .all kinds of hoops to jump through for china junk made stuff. Used to buy a lot at Sears ,tools appliances etc . no more ~~oldguy ~~
oldfart50 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 83 Old 07-04-2019, 10:58 PM
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,247
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

They went back to just handing you a new ratchet most of the time. They did the rebuild internal head parts for a while but not lately.
As long as you can walk in a no questions asked trade it in...THAT IS THE ONLY way I will but hand tools!! Home Depot does this with Husky and Lowe's with Kobalt. Lowe's sells Craftsman now too so I don't see them giving you a hassle on returns.
I also don't see me buying any Craftsman until they either look as nice and Kobalt or are cheaper.
TobyU is online now  
post #33 of 83 Old 07-04-2019, 11:45 PM
MTF Member
 
oldfart50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 32
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

last wrench sets I bought were Kobalt so far satisfied with the quality ~~oldguy~~
oldfart50 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 12:07 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
WrongDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 364
I really wish the Craftsman sockets and wrenches from Lowe's were as good as the old ones. I have some sockets missing from my big late 70s era Craftsman toolset and Id like to replace them with matching Craftsman sockets, but not with this new junk. Guess I have to keep an eye out at the flea markets and Craigslist.

Joe in PA

"What you talking about Willis, that him!" -Mr. Chow
WrongDoug is offline  
post #35 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 AM
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,247
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart50 View Post
last wrench sets I bought were Kobalt so far satisfied with the quality ~~oldguy~~
Kobalt has been the best quality and finish over Husky or Craftsman and Stanley is a close 2nd.

Most Made in Taiwan tools are better than china ones too.
TobyU is online now  
post #36 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 01:11 AM
UnRetired Mod
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northwestern Washington
Posts: 5,404
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

I gave up on Craftsman over 15 years ago. I bought a Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench 10-150 foot pounds with a lifetime warranty and after using it for 20 years the ratcheting head needed to be rebuilt. I take it back to Sears and they declined to either rebuild or replacement. I argued and they said that the warranty was changed to 90 day. I looked at them and said this box, owners guide and receipt all say "LIFETIME WARRANTY".

finally I told to call the store manager and I show him my side of the argument and he allowed a replacement but with the understanding that the new warranty applied. I took the replacement torque wrench home and handed it to my son and said I never want to see this again. That was the last item I ever got from Sears.

The current status of Sears is in my opinion is the Walking Dead of the big box stores. They are still hanging around but on a shoe string. One more recession and I bet they are gone.

My John Deere Collection
2009 John Deere 2305 with Front End Loader, Backhoe and 62C Mower
2017 John Deere X590 with 54" Accel Deep Mower

I don't know about my inner child but I have a inner idiot that surfaces when I least expect it.
Michael is offline  
post #37 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 02:38 AM
3K Poster!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,247
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I gave up on Craftsman over 15 years ago. I bought a Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench 10-150 foot pounds with a lifetime warranty and after using it for 20 years the ratcheting head needed to be rebuilt. I take it back to Sears and they declined to either rebuild or replacement. I argued and they said that the warranty was changed to 90 day. I looked at them and said this box, owners guide and receipt all say "LIFETIME WARRANTY".

finally I told to call the store manager and I show him my side of the argument and he allowed a replacement but with the understanding that the new warranty applied. I took the replacement torque wrench home and handed it to my son and said I never want to see this again. That was the last item I ever got from Sears.

The current status of Sears is in my opinion is the Walking Dead of the big box stores. They are still hanging around but on a shoe string. One more recession and I bet they are gone.

Torque wrenches are often not lifetime and maybe shouldn't be because people use them as breaker bars and drop them and get way out or calibration.
But I am with you on warranties.
YOU CAN'T change it ONCE I BUY IT!

If that's the case then give me a new one....then here....give me my money back for this or if I'm in a good mood I might take merch credit and not make you call the cops on me. Then I will go buy the tool from a competitor THAT STILL has a lifetime warranty.
AND when you go out of business...you will know why.

The ULTIMATE irony and funny is ...do you know how many ****** off old guys have probably told them this in the stores over the years?????
Sears went for one of the best customer service and customer experience to one of the worst. They were almost up there with Rex TV and Radio Shack and Sound Waves.
Other regions will not get the Rex and Soundwaves reference but chain stores with greedy private owners who - once they had your money...they were keeping it!!!-
Almost impossible to get a refund from them.
Radio Shack had similar traits....and WHERE ARE THEY????

Sears would treat you like a criminal if you came in with a return with a receipt.
They would open often even a sealed package or box to fully inspect everything. Giving you the evil eye like they thought you were up to something or it was just KILLING them to give you a refund.
If was probably. AS they treated the employees like crap and managers and probably took it all out of commissions bonuses etc.

So when they ticked people off and they told them fine...when your out of business....THEY thought WE ARE SEARS. Giant SEARS. Too big to fail SEARS!

HOW's that working out for you S-E-A-R-S????


Now I am actually very sad to see the demise of one if not the biggest retail giant that help and shaped America and I blame most of it on Eddie Lampert but the old school mentality and not embracing current or the future on retail started the problems.
Sad to see what has happened to an American icon but they had an attitude and poured fuel on themselves over and over.
TobyU is online now  
post #38 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
WrongDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 364
I think I have 3 or 4 100' Craftsman rubber hoses that had lifetime warranties when I bought them 20 years ago. Apparently that has changed. Once again, you can't change the warranty AFTER I ALREADY BOUGHT IT!

Joe in PA

"What you talking about Willis, that him!" -Mr. Chow
WrongDoug is offline  
post #39 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Steve Urquell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,606
I was a diesel mechanic from 1988 to 2009. Bought as much Craftsman tools as possible to avoid tool truck prices only using Mac wrenches as the Craftsman stuff was too blocky and specialized tools only available on the trucks.

Sears could have make a bunch of money with tool trucks as their prices were a 1/3 of Mac, Snap-on, Matco, and Cornwell but they ignored that market.

I bought my stuff using my 7% interest Sears credit card and paid it off ASAP. Sears jacked the rate to 25% sometime in the late 90s if I remember correctly and that was the end of using that card and a bunch of sales as well.

What really soured me on them was an interaction I had trying to get a battery for my 94 Ford Ranger. That Diehard gold battery was the best thing I've ever used lasting >8yrs any time I bought one.

This is how that went in automotive:

"Hi I need a Diehard gold battery for my 94 Ranger"

"We dont have any in stock. Check back next Tuesday. Thats when the stock truck comes in."

"OK. NP."

Go to the store next Tue.

" We don't have that in stock. Check back next Tuesday"

" Wait, I asked you to order one last week"

"We don't "order" anything sir. The computer does that automatically and we are sent what we need based on what the store stocks"

"I need a battery and want to use the Diehard gold as it's the best. How can we order one?"

"We cant. Just keep coming back on Tuesday and maybe there will be one on the truck"

"You're kidding me right? I can't give you money and have you order me a battery?"

"Nope"

*Facepalms and walks away*

2016 Cub XT3 GSE 54" Fab deck, fabbed winch sleeve hitch
2001 Cub 3240 44" deck, fabbed hydraulic sleeve hitch
Steve Urquell is offline  
post #40 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Collector of many tractors

 
Kbeitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 15,175
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongDoug View Post
I really wish the Craftsman sockets and wrenches from Lowe's were as good as the old ones. I have some sockets missing from my big late 70s era Craftsman toolset and Id like to replace them with matching Craftsman sockets, but not with this new junk. Guess I have to keep an eye out at the flea markets and Craigslist.

I see your from Pa.... Go to the Jacktown engine show July 19-20-21 and you will find what your looking for...


Kbeitz is offline  
post #41 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Collector of many tractors

 
Kbeitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 15,175
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I gave up on Craftsman over 15 years ago. I bought a Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench 10-150 foot pounds with a lifetime warranty and after using it for 20 years the ratcheting head needed to be rebuilt. I take it back to Sears and they declined to either rebuild or replacement. I argued and they said that the warranty was changed to 90 day. I looked at them and said this box, owners guide and receipt all say "LIFETIME WARRANTY".

finally I told to call the store manager and I show him my side of the argument and he allowed a replacement but with the understanding that the new warranty applied. I took the replacement torque wrench home and handed it to my son and said I never want to see this again. That was the last item I ever got from Sears.

The current status of Sears is in my opinion is the Walking Dead of the big box stores. They are still hanging around but on a shoe string. One more recession and I bet they are gone.

Reasons like this is why i would never go back to there store...


Kbeitz is offline  
post #42 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Collector of many tractors

 
Kbeitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 15,175
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Urquell View Post
I was a diesel mechanic from 1988 to 2009. Bought as much Craftsman tools as possible to avoid tool truck prices only using Mac wrenches as the Craftsman stuff was too blocky and specialized tools only available on the trucks.

Sears could have make a bunch of money with tool trucks as their prices were a 1/3 of Mac, Snap-on, Matco, and Cornwell but they ignored that market.

I bought my stuff using my 7% interest Sears credit card and paid it off ASAP. Sears jacked the rate to 25% sometime in the late 90s if I remember correctly and that was the end of using that card and a bunch of sales as well.

What really soured me on them was an interaction I had trying to get a battery for my 94 Ford Ranger. That Diehard gold battery was the best thing I've ever used lasting >8yrs any time I bought one.

This is how that went in automotive:

"Hi I need a Diehard gold battery for my 94 Ranger"

"We dont have any in stock. Check back next Tuesday. Thats when the stock truck comes in."

"OK. NP."

Go to the store next Tue.

" We don't have that in stock. Check back next Tuesday"

" Wait, I asked you to order one last week"

"We don't "order" anything sir. The computer does that automatically and we are sent what we need based on what the store stocks"

"I need a battery and want to use the Diehard gold as it's the best. How can we order one?"

"We cant. Just keep coming back on Tuesday and maybe there will be one on the truck"

"You're kidding me right? I can't give you money and have you order me a battery?"

"Nope"

*Facepalms and walks away*
Last Diehard I ever bought from them was around $250.00 for my truck.
It did not last a week. It would not hold a charge over night. They charged it up and tested it. It tested good. I said fine. Let it sit here over night and I will be back in the morn for another test. They said they don't do it that way. They would no honer the warranty. I told them they could go to h311.
I'm glad they closed up.... I liked there older tools.


Kbeitz is offline  
post #43 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM
MTF Junior Poster
 
Jay Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 5
Re: What is the status of Sears as a retailer?

The operative phrase is "Slow Liquidation." Google it.

Sears killed itself by:
1) Refusing to believe in the internet. People go online, compare, and buy. Its not the 1970’s anymore. Sears never fully embraced the Amazon model, instead having slow, sloppy internet sites. The online price never matched the shelf price, which often did not match the store price. Rather than consistently provide the lowest price, they kept the constant 30% - 70% “sales” everyone knew was a joke. The business model was: “Hope the buyer come in and be pressured for the Extended Warranty that covers nothing, and is 25% of the sales price”. Every interaction with a Sears rep made Amazon more attractive.

2) Refusing to believe in the power of its own brands. Craftsman, Kenmore, and apple pie. Customers were perfectly willing to pay a premium for Craftsman tools that were Made in the USA and guaranteed for life. Sears started making them in China, and cheaped out on the warranty. Sure, you may have to give out a $10 ratchet now and then. In exchange, you got a Sears customer in a Sears store that likes tools and works with his hands! There is no amount of advertising that can replace that! Sears sold was 2/3 of the appliances sold in the USA when Eddie Lampert bought sears around y2k, and most of that was Kenmore. Nope, use the “Moving Target” pricing model, and be shocked nobody comes back.
Jay Kennedy is offline  
post #44 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
WrongDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbeitz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongDoug View Post
I really wish the Craftsman sockets and wrenches from Lowe's were as good as the old ones. I have some sockets missing from my big late 70s era Craftsman toolset and Id like to replace them with matching Craftsman sockets, but not with this new junk. Guess I have to keep an eye out at the flea markets and Craigslist.

I see your from Pa.... Go to the Jacktown engine show July 19-20-21 and you will find what your looking for...
I'm in SW PA, I just googled it. Looks like a pretty interesting show. Says it's about a 5 hour ride. I'm always up for road trips though so I'm not ruling it out.

Joe in PA

"What you talking about Willis, that him!" -Mr. Chow
WrongDoug is offline  
post #45 of 83 Old 07-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
WrongDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 364
I personally think the beginning of the end andaybe one of the most crucial mistakes for Sears was cutting the catalog. When they stopped the catalog in the early 90s, they had tons of employees working in fulfillment warehouses all over Chicago mailing out people's orders. Sound familiar? (Cough, cough Amazon) If they could've kept the catalog going for a while longer (even if it netted a loss) until internet shopping became a serious piece of the market, they could've switched from a paper catalog to internet catalog overnight and been way ahead of the game. They already had in place what it has taken Amazon years to develop.

Then again, hindsight is 20/20.

Joe in PA

"What you talking about Willis, that him!" -Mr. Chow
WrongDoug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (4 members and 1 guests)
bontai Joe, hatzie, mikeinri, SnapOnGuy13
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome