You have a better picture of the head for the twines and what you used to build it? Looks like you should be able to move right along with the beast.
Link to my original post:
The twine head is made of 3 (I think) layers of that white cutting board you might have in your kitchen. Some kind of tough plastic stuff. When one becomes too scratched up for my wife to use she gives it to me. I've made many things with that stuff. After drilling three holes in it I cut 3 pieces of 3/4" PEX tubing to hold the twine. I think you can see it in one of the images. It fits in a round piece of cutting board that swivels to allow some relief for the twine if I hit a T-post or something. The twine will gradually wear off at the ends, especially in heavy weeds but rarely ever breaks. I wrapped it around a T-post once and it snapped several off. But, this head has been used for several years now with only the PEX and the round parts they swivel on to wear out. Easy to replace. I use a 2" PVC cap on the bottom that limits how low I can cut. The front spindle is the better one of the two spindles the mower had.
I took the Murry apart and salvaged the motor, pulleys, spindles, gas tank, throttle and cable, ignition switch, and battery solenoid. Then I made a mock-up of the frame using square wood. I worked with that wood frame to figure out how tall and such and the pulley arrangement. Then I welded a frame and handle bars using 1" square tubing. At first I put 16" spoked wheels with solid tires on it but they sank too easily in the soft soil and made it really hard to push. Then I replaced the 1/2" axle with a 3/4" and put wheel barrow wheels on it.
The hood that covers the pulleys and belt I made from the Murry's hood. I cut both outer edges out and welded them together along with a piece of one of the floor boards. The two black, plastic wing nuts were courtesy of the Murry also.
This is one of my prized projects and I enjoy showing it to people and telling them that it was once a Murry riding mower. While clearing some tall grass from a neighbor's fence the twine snatched out a small tomato cage and the machine threw it around a few times before I finally shut it down with the key. The tomato cage was all mangled...
No damage at all to the trimmer, which I have named 'MOAT'