MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information - View Single Post - Valve Adjustment
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 10-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Alien5044
Senior MTF Member

Re: Valve Adjustment

If your process worked OK on the exhaust valve, it should work exactly the same on the intake valve. I'm a little concerned that you said no matter how much you turn the adjustment nut, that it doesn't make any difference. That might imply a stripped nut or perhaps the rocker stud in the middle of the rocker, has loosened or pulled out. Check that to be sure.

Also, examine both valves to be sure that all the parts are present in both. Observe the valve actions by rolling the engine over by hand. Sometimes you can see what is wrong by comparing the actions of both valves in slow motion.

I might suggest that if you haven't already, you search YouTube for "small engine valve adjustment" videos just to confirm that what you are seeing and doing is the suggested process.

Sorry you are having these issues, I know it can be frustrating, but there IS an explanation. Just a matter of careful review of your engine's parts to see what might be wrong.

X 500 48" Deck 48" blade
Cyclone Rake
Stihl BR 600
Sears Suburban Super 12 1968
Craftsman 1990 something LG Tractor 46" deck
Original Kohler 8hp Giant Vac early 1960s

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome