My Tractor Forum banner

Broken bracket that holds starter motor, looking for part number

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  GB in MN 
#1 ·
My 1614 had an issue with the starter motor. There's a small bolt at the back of the motor that attaches it to a bracket that's bolted onto the side of the Kohler engine.

This bolt apparently loosened and fell out. So when I pushed the button to start the tractor, I think the small gear on front of the starter motor didn't engage properly with the large gear, and it pushed the starter motor outward. This caused the bracket to bend and crack. The small gear on front of the motor seems to be okay but I don't know yet about the larger gear.

I've looked through my papers and can't find a diagram or part number for this bracket.

Are these likely to be quite different between model years? Is anyone aware of an online source?

-- Mike

#2 ·
#4 ·
Thanks, GB. I tried welding mine but I have only a small wire welder, and didn't get a good weld. It held for a couple of days but I think I'll just buy a new starting motor as I depend on this tractor for mowing, leaf collection, and plowing snow.

I don't know for sure when my PK was made. Would you hazard a guess whether this starting motor would work on mine, likely from the mid to late '60s?

-- Mike

#5 ·
#6 ·
Well, I bought the one from Amazon and it came this afternoon.

I bolted it on and it started right up.

However...

After I ran the tractor for about an hour, I shut it off and tried to restart it. Dead.

Also, the starting motor is very hot. I don't remember the previous one being so hot.

I'm letting it cool off and will try again later. All I can think is that maybe the motor got so hot that the shaft cannot be pushed forward and can't spin.

-- Mike

#7 ·
Hi I would to see if the solenoid or start switch is sticking and running the starter even after the engine starts or maybe the Bendix gear is not kicking out something is not right

#8 ·
Yes, I thought of those too and will check. The odd thing is that I didn't change anything at all on the tractor except the starter motor.

I took the new one off and the housing is still pretty warm. The shaft rotates freely, though.

I'll probably ask my neighbor who is a good welder to see if he can fix the old bracket attached to the old starter. I really depend on this tractor for a lot of work around the yard and it's vital that I get it running again ASAP.

-- Mike

#9 ·
It's working.

It was my fault. When I got the new starter, it had a little rubber boot over the end of the shaft ahead of the Bendix gear. I thought oh, that's some sort of weather protection. But it apparently was supposed to be removed after shipping. I guess that maybe when the gear was thrust forward, this boot caught on something and prevented the gear from retracting.

Once I removed it and reinstalled the starter, it worked fine. We mowed for 1.5 hours and it started right up afterward and wasn't hot.

-- Mike

#10 ·
Hey its good to hear you got it figured out, actually I thought that boot did stay on so I learned sometime to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.