My Tractor Forum banner

Help with Tecumseh HH100

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  papashelby 
#1 ·
Finally starting to work on my 1968 112 with the blown engine. I purchased an engine sight unseen last fall after talking with the guy who said it was complete except for the carb and starter, and said it was running when he pulled it. A friend of mine picked it up for me and it’s been sitting in the corner for the last 10 months. I pulled it out yesterday, and while looking it over I noticed there is no spark plug wire. After removing the tins, I find out the alternator was also taken, and this is where I am having a dilemma. I pulled the stator (I think that’s the correct term) from both engines and my original one has a wire from the stator to the alternator. The new/used does not. I can not find any place where it might have been cut or pulled out. BUT, the new engine has a wire coming from the other side of the block that I have know idea where it goes. The original engine does not have either the wire or the cover, but is solid in the same area. Hopefully the pics will explain better what I am talking about. Can I use the alternator and stator from the blown engine or do I need to find a different one? What is that wire for and where do I attach it?
As always, thanks for the help, Rick

The original
Auto part

Auto part Electrical wiring

The new one
Auto part Metal

Auto part Metal

The circle is the where the wire I have no clue about goes in.
Machine Machine tool Electronics Toolroom Lathe

See less See more
#2 ·
Your circle looks like it is around the points box. Did you remove the cover? Not able to answer your questions but I do know HH100's came in different configurations. My '67 & '68 Sears Suburbans both had HH100's, the '67 was points/condenser & the '68 was electronic ignition. Did your replacement engine come from Deere? Also neither of my HH100's had an alternator, they were equipped with starter/generators. Reason I ask if your replacement was from a Deere is I bought a replacement for my Sears from another Sears but from a Custom not a Suburban. Didn't fit.

#3 ·
Supposedly, the replacement came right out of another 112, that's why I bought it. But from what little I can find, you are probably on the right track. I did not take the cover off, but it could very well be points under it. (I'll check tomorrow.) It does not say "Solid State" on the tins as mine did. But I still need to have a spark plug wire, and I don't have any idea as to where that is supposed to come from on this engine. I am starting to wonder if the seller didn't just screw me. Thanks for your input.

#4 ·
Hey Papashelby....

I'd almost think that what you're looking at is an HH100 that would have come with points and condenser and a coil (like my HH100 that's in my '67 112), because that's where the spark plug cable would come off of... But like marshallgang says, between '67 and I think '70 or '71 there were a number of variations of the HH100 used on the 112, all the way from points, condenser coil and starter/generator through to the solid state ignition. Check it out, here's what's listed in JD Parts Catalog for the ignition system on the TEC equipped 112 in the 100,001-250,000 serial number range...

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/74683/referrer/navigation/pgId/234173

Looks like both options were available, I bet it was a more expensive option to go with the full electronic...

#5 ·
Thanks for the link LTG. That helped a lot. So it looks like what I’m missing is a coil, and then I would be good to go? I need to look, but I may have one from an eight horse Kohler, would that work? Or, could I leave the points in, disconnect the wire, and use the solid state setup?

#9 ·
I decided to give it a shot. Took out the points, put my original stator, flywheel, and alternator on the new/old engine. Charging the battery overnight, and hopefully tomorrow I will see if I get spark. If I do, I will change the oil/tar that's in it before I attempt to start it.

#12 ·
Ok, just an update for anyone interested. Yes, you can convert the Tecumseh HH100 to a solid state system if it has points. Got the old girl up and running today, actually runs really good. So I'm very happy with the results. But ... I gotta say, I don't think I'm going to use it much for mowing. After having the X728 and 345 with power steering, there is very little attraction to using the old manual steering on the 112. Just feels good to get it up and running, been in family it's whole life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.