My Tractor Forum banner

the original Electric air cond mower 1957

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  chris937 
#1 ·
Can't find much info on it but it looks like a jetsons space car / Why did this never catch on? The 1950s was a time for an optimistic view of a better tomorrow. And what could make suburban life better than a futuristic air conditioned lawn mower. On Oct. 14, 1957, the future of lawn mowing took a new turn with the addition of a beautiful air conditioned bubble; the rider could cut the lawn while looking like a creature in some sort of futuristic zoo while riding in a clear five foot sphere. Not only was this appliance air conditioned, but it also had an electrical generator that powered such life necessities as a radio telephone and a chilled drink dispenser. A REDESIGN IT WOULD PROBABLY SELL TODAY Pretty crazzzzy HUH ? ~~oldguy~~

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A lot of futuristic stuff like this from the 50's and 60's were mockups that didn't really function, or at least "fully function".

Not saying this is one of them, but it could be why there isn't much info out there. The one in the photo might be the only one that ever existed.

#4 ·
Those were the days!
With all the clear poly, I don't think an A/C unit on a mower like that would be able to keep it comfortable.

#6 ·
I remember seeing a "Flymo" at the local hardware store, about 1958 or 1959. It looked cool, but it was the only one I ever saw in person. Wonder if any are still around?

#8 ·
hmmm, it has been a lot of years, but I recall what I saw in person was green like LawnBoy green, and it was more round, and no wheels. Maybe was some other name, but Flymo stuck in my old brain.

I see now that these are still made and sold in some newer form. Still, I haven't seen any in person anywhere.

Ah well, I guess it must have its niche market somewhere.

#10 ·
They're an interesting idea, but even setting aside other challenges, I could see them be more of a hassle on any ground that's not quite flat. They'd be wanting to "slide" downhill, so you'd be constantly kind of steering the handle, to keep it where you want it.

#11 ·
About the mower in the first post..

Mowing the grass isn’t the most glamorous of jobs, but what if you could do so in an air-conditioned bubble? That’s exactly what the machine above allows you to do, but unfortunately it never made it to production. However, it was more than just a rendering, as the actual machine was featured on the 1958 cover of Mechanix Illustrated.

#13 ·
I'm guessing it was a mock up. No way to power it for long back then or even now.
Has a pretty large back on it looks more like gas or diesel than electric but even with large batts I doubt it could spin the blades, run the ac, and move it for over 20-30 minutes.

It WOULD certainly sell today.
THERE is NO reason we are still cutting grass in 2019. If you think about it, it is quite ridiculous. All the other things we have but we still waste our time and use human effort to cut, cut , and re-cut grass about every week!!!

I know some people enjoy doing it . Others really do but don't admit it.
I like playing with a mower and testing it for 10 minutes TOPS. Then I AM DONE.
Anything more is too much like work and I have plenty of that to do.

#15 ·
Don't know what material the bubble may have been made from but I could just picture it getting all brittle and fogged up in about 2 years back then.. Even today for that matter..
In reality we do have things similar today. No bubbles but cabs. Look at some of the small scuts being built. Probably offer more luxuries too.! That thing may of had AC but probably still had rope start.

Just having a little fun with the topic. Note the sarcasm..?

#16 ·
I agree on the bubble but ~ It has its own electric generating system for operating running lights, a radio telephone, air conditioning and even a cooling system to provide a chilled drink on a hot day. ~ So i'd think with all that i was electric start LOL ~~oldguy~~

#19 ·
The man and woman are wearing the same clothes in both pictures. The second one says you can run errands in this? As in drive to the store for more Windex? :tango_face_wink:

#23 ·
Did anyone else notice that you have to clear a waist-high glass ledge to even get in or out? Imagine how many bubbles would be popped within the first few weeks of ownership!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.