MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information - View Single Post - First garden tractor a 216, wife approved
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
SSquared
MTF Junior Poster

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwirl View Post
Good looking tractor, congrats.
I'd like a 216 also, but havent found 1, yet.

As for the seat springs being reversed.
It probably moved the seat back for legroom, or to fit that seat. The seat is a replacement. So try it either way, what fits you is best.
The mower deck looks to be a newer model also. Your 216 would have had a 38in or 46in deck. The 46in deck is a model 47 deck, and look like this...
Attachment 2390717
Try and get belt numbers for the blades and the PTO drive. Since that deck didnt come with it, the stock parts lookup won't help. If you cant find any numbers on the belts, remove them and get them measured and matched up. And I recommend JD belts only. They fit and last.
You have a great tractor that with proper maintenance will outlast us all.
Ohh, and get your wife to smile when on the 216.
I cant stop smiling when I'm on my old 212.
Thanks for the info I'm new to this. Ran exmark and Walker 0s in a professional setting and have run bigger tractors growing up but never a GT. The wife grew up as a the daughter of a landscaper but only had experance with walk behinds with skids so she was nervous with it that will change as she did like running it.

1980 JD 216 with 46in deck

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome