MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information - View Single Post - 8N will not move and lost all hydraulics
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 PM
Alien5044
Senior MTF Member

Re: 8N will not move and lost all hydraulics

As I recall from my dad's 8n, there are 2 covers. One for the trans the other under the seat with the rear lift arms coming out of it. Before doing any splitting I'd pull the trans cover first as it is accessible and see what you can see. If that doesn't show anything, I think I recall my dad pulling the side cover off the rear end case to look inside the rear end housing. It is the round cover, where the dip stick is I think. As it was less of a pain than the lift's top cover.

But alas, it sounds like you have a major failure in that gear train/hydraulic system. (Sorry, this was 55 years ago and memory is faded some).

Is it worth it? For an 8N, I'd say absolutely!! Oh, by the way, I was once that boy doing the knuckle busting work for my dad who lost his eyesight. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world. It has paid me back a thousand times over the next 45 years. I'll say a little "thanks dad" here.

X 500 48" Deck 48" blade
Cyclone Rake
Stihl BR 600
Sears Suburban Super 12 1968
Craftsman 1990 something LG Tractor 46" deck
Original Kohler 8hp Giant Vac early 1960s

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome