Fixing cable on Ariens Walkbehind - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 08-23-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,465
Barn
Fixing cable on Ariens Walkbehind

I've got an Ariens 34"WAW mower, as a backup for my 52" Snapper Hydro mower, and I've had to put it into regular use as the electric clutch on the Snapper has failed and it'll be a couple weeks before the clutch comes in. Naturally, on literally the first place I'm going to use it on, the front control cable breaks. Call around, waste time going to a place that says they have the part, only to get there and be told that no, they don't, and other places tell me it'll maybe be two weeks before a replacement comes in, and I come up with the idea of fixing the cable, at least temporarily.

So, I bought about 8' of 1/16" stranded steel cable and a set of aluminum mashable connectors (https://www.rona.ca/en/sleeve),
cut the existing, broken cable short (a little too short, as I forgot about leaving a bit extra to make a loop),
made a loop at that end with one of the sleeves,
fed the new cable through the old cable sheath,
made a loop with the end of the new cable (almost screwed up by not doing it through the loop I made with the original section, but screwed up anyway by not putting it through the lock nut for the cable sheath, so I had to feed the cable through the sheath a second time)
reconnected the cable at the drive section, and bolted the sheath in place,
fed the end of the new cable through the control handle

At this point, I started up the engine, then pulled on the cable until it was just before activating forward motion (which made for a brief time of excitement when I pulled too far and the mower started going forward, and wouldn't stop even after releasing the cable), and then used visegrips to hold the cable at the right length. Used it for several hours like this and it worked fine, and when I got home I put on a mashable sleeve to hold the cable at the right length instead of having visegrips hanging down and catching on things.

The fix should last at least the couple weeks until a new cable assembly comes in, and it only cost $5 and maybe a 1/2 or so of time.

Naturally, while typing this, I realize I should have just used the round plug, which probably could have slide into the spring of the original end I reused, so I could have replaced the entire cable instead of looping the old and new cables together...
dave_r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome