MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information - View Single Post - For the restoration purists...
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
jeepagain
MTF Member

For the restoration purists...

Ok, so there are several threads that talk about Gravely paint color. Seems a lot of folks restore the old 800 series using white, even though the official factory color is apparently "Alaska White". That's the route I'm going (using white) on a couple tractors I'm currently in process with (see the 816S here with restored hood and rims. Need to do some metal work on the seat pan yet. This pic also gives some idea of the "white" color differences. And yes, I will eventually repaint chassis, but this is an "in-service" tractor, so needed to pause and do some garden tilling!).

Part of the motivation for white over Alaska white was the two sources I know of for replacement decals (Vintage Reproductions and RG Graphix) do their hood decals in white (vs. the off-white of Alaska White - BTW I'm trying to see how many times I can type "white" in this post!).

So I throw it out there for comments/opinions. Anybody know of a decal source that's more true to the original color? Anybody finish a tractor in the original Alaska white? If so, what did you do for decals (got any pics)?

In the end, I'm not too much of a stickler either way. But I have one more tractor to restore (my first Gravely - an 812) after I finish the two that are in progress, and I'm toying with going full factory original - kinda just for fun.

Rock on!
Neil (jeepagain)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4328.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2377079  

'74 816S
'76 816S
'77 812
'43 Willys MB
'51 Willys M38
'55 Willys M170 (Restoration underway...)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome