My Tractor Forum banner

Grrrrrrr

914 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  palmrose2 
#1 ·
(Deep, cleansing breath....)

Ok...now that I'm a bit more relaxed (sorta, anyway), I am watching the grass/weeds in the yard jump towards the sky while my sweet, AC 410S is being obstinate.

I even have video!

Anyone want to put in their 2 cents?

Here's the deal.

When I turn the key to the START position, I hear nothing. No "CLICK...CLICK...CLICK." Just silence. However, when I engage the Electric Clutch and then turn to START I get "CLICK...CLICK...CLICK."

So, the video shows me trying to start the tractor with the Electric Clutch set to "OFF," which it should be; silence. I then turn the Electric Clutch to START and there's that "CLICK...CLICK...CLICK." (You'll have to turn up the volume, I'm sure, to hear it well.) I then move to the front of the engine so that you can see the (whatever it is...behind the pulley) jump when I switch to "OFF" the Electric Clutch.

The battery is NOT fully charged, but very close...say 85 to 90%. I did have it checked yesterday by a couple of automotive shops and the one said it registered as "BAD" and at 82% charge, while the other just said it was less than fully-charged.

Today I wire brushed both the posts and the inside of the cable connectors; they're pristine. I also put some coconut oil on them to help diminish future contact and "gunk" issues.

Anyway, it seems to me that that amount of charge (80% to 90%) should be enough to at least warrant a "CLICK' without the Electric Clutch being engaged. So I'm thinking...what? Starter? Ignition switch? Something else?

I'm at a loss to know for what I should be checking/testing.

I'd be very appreciative of some direction here. The video is available at this (https://mega.nz/#F!rw01AQoT!Z-Sur2RioI_wIF3zq6Iwow) link.

Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
Put a jumper cable from the pos of the battery directly to the lug of the starter. If it cranks, it's something in between.......
I had not thought of that; thanks.

Have you checked the safety switches, seat, neutral etc?
I have not, but on the rare occasions that this has happened in the past, she's eventually started. I recall one time I hit the starter with a rubber mallet, after which she started. Usually I just flick back and forth the Clutch Engage switch.

Thanks.

#5 ·
#7 · (Edited)
WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

In despair I walked back out to the tractor...glaring at it, as if to say "You know I have better things to be doing!" And in that moment of glaring, there it was! But wait...could it...would it be so...GULP!...simple?!

(Talking to myself....) So, you see this thing circled in yellow? Yep...that thing. It's called a "solenoid." And you see that one wire attached to it on the near side? The one with the large arrow pointing to it? That's it. Well, the thing is...that wire needs to be firmly squeezed between the nut and the mount, just like all the others. (DUHHH!) If it isn't, well, this thing might have issues starting.

SIGH

So, for some reason, the nut was waaaaaaaay out at the end of the mount. Given that I couldn't even come close to tightening that by hand, I can only guess that it had been like that for(ever) a long time, and that sometimes there was good contact and then not-so-good.

I tightened it, went back to the ignition and, much to my amazement, it started.

Whew.

Well, about all I can say is 1) thanks to everyone for their suggestions, 2) I'm glad that's over, and, 3) lesson learned.

Y'all been great, as usual. Thanks again. And now, to revisit the previous "I can't get up the hill in 2nd gear anymore" issue....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.