My Tractor Forum banner

What does "PHHHH" Mean in Tractor Talk?

880 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  qbgLOVs7q 
#1 ·
Hello:

In working on a separate issue regarding my 1972 Allis-Chalmers 410S, I now have a new problem.

I was driving her around today, when she ran out of gas. So, I trudge back to the gas can, come back and put some in. She starts up without incident. I drive maybe 75 yards, shut her down, and get back to the prior issue. After a few minutes I go to start her up and I hear a somewhat-muffled "Phhffffffff." This was immediately followed by SILENCE. As in, she doesn't make a sound now when trying to start her. No CLICK...CLICK, when the battery is dead, and nothing else.

The sound emanated from the left side of the engine compartment (my left, from sitting in the tractor). I figure coil or spark plug. As it happens, I have a spare 416S that I've been using for parts (see other thread for most-recent example...lol), so I could lift either of those items from that and, presuming they are appropriate for using in this other engine, give things a whirl.

However, I'd really like some input from others who know way more than I do.

So, what do you think? Coil (or whatever that thingamajob is called which connects to the spark plug), spark plug...something else?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
The PHHHHH sound could be sparking at the terminal on a loose cable.

It's interesting that you say that. Yesterday (or was it the day before?), she wouldn't start: battery was drained. I noticed that the POS battery terminal was caked in corrosion. I cleaned that up and put the charger on it for an hour or so. She started up as usual.

Today, after I posted this message, I went back out and tried to start her again. Just on a fluke, I flipped "ON" the switch to the mowing deck. I got a "CLICK." As soon as I heard that I remembered that I had a near-identical situation last year or the year before. I still can't recall exactly what that was all about, much less how I got it resolved, but after going back and forth on the deck switch and turning the ignition, she fired up again.

So, yeah...not sure what that was all about. But I think later this week I'll take a close look at those battery terminals.

Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.