My Tractor Forum banner

What's the difference between a Lawn Tractor and a GT??

12K views 175 replies 30 participants last post by  TUDOR 
#1 · (Edited)
What determines the difference? Where does the line of difference start? Is the bottom line basically the transmission?

#2 ·
how "heavy duty" it is. And there are GT's that are "heavier duty" than other GT's

Consider this analogy:
A Lawn Tractor is a car. It moves 5 adults (1000lbs) every day... in comfort.
A GT is a truck. It moves 1000lbs too, but not 1000lbs of people... it will move 1000lbs of bricks, and rusty steel... and can tow another 6000lbs at the same time... and can do it on a dirt road or off-trail. All day long.

You load 1000lbs of bricks into a car, it will go. Hitch up a 6000lb trailer and go off-road, and you may be picking up pieces of frame and suspension that got torn off with the load while driving... and if you keep doing it every day for years - that car will be beat to crap, broken and probably dead in a very short time.

Now there are compact trucks (light duty GTs), and super-duty trucks (real GTs).

Also, Lawn Tractors made 30 years ago, are different than lawn tractors made today. Case in point: Deere 332: diesel, 850lbs of steel frame, hydraulics and other guts. And it's called a Lawn Tractor.

#5 ·
I would think all lawn tractors and GT's are cars. One and two passenger and 6. I would think a truck would be considered a SCUT. Just trying to determine the particular configuration that makes up and draws the line making the differences. They all have 4 tires, some have the same frames, some have the same engine size. Where is the fine line of difference? Is it only the transmission?

#4 ·
What determines the difference? Where does the line of difference start?
With the transmission. Then the frame, steering components, and wheels have to be made stronger to handle the greater forces that can be applied.

An LT can handle the work of one or two men. A GT will outwork a half dozen men with the same (or less) engine horsepower as the LT.

Todays LTs can weigh as much as 600 lb, including the mowing deck. A GT will weigh at least 550 lb to over 1200 lb without the deck or any other accessories.

What we break down as LTs and GTs all fall into the general category of lawn tractors. An LT is great for mowing lawns, but not suitable for ground engaging implements, while a GT is suitable. Hence the "Garden" moniker.

#13 ·
the older Cubbys r better than the XT3..

#16 ·
Used(!) to be a GT had a 3-point on hydraulics and an LT didn't. Only a few GTs with 3-points nowadays. I think Simplicity, Kubota and Deere.
Of course there's also the price, talking over 5k here.
For our 1.5 acres I went with a CC XT3, I wanted a 54" mowing deck, but something of an overkill - it's clumsy. Later this year when I start rolling the 3/4 acre we've fenced for the minis (horses) it'll start earning it's keep.

#22 ·
Seems like there is a fine line of difference. Depends how much you have to do. Some of the JD's are more like SCUT. Everything else is a GT at different levels.There are some people who use the LT for pretty good work around their property and get along just fine. I/m not saying people on the form but in general.

#17 ·
I've noticed TractorData has a pretty good but not perfect definition of LT vs GT. They do call my old Wheelhorse 266H a GT although many consider it an LT. It had bolt on wheels and a K61.

Cub had several LTs with bolt on wheels (Lt1554) that looked like GTs. Best way to classify one is with a spec search on the tractor in question with focus on the transmission and its capabilities.

#21 ·
Yes it looks like it's the tranny that in the end defines the difference. Higher the number usually the better the build sometimes. I was just trying to determine that fine line of difference. Like my Troy, I use it for everything. I think you can call all of them, under your breath GT's. Just different levels.

#25 ·
that will only fit a MTD machine.. also do some thinkin.. they have studs for mountin a tire which requires a nut.. the '''bolt on''' rims have a 5 bolt pattern which requires a bolt.. not a nut..

#28 ·
#29 ·
to convert a LT to a GT.. the tires used on a GT will not fit on LT.. also all LT have a 1/4 keyway mount the tire.. (except MTD tractors).. that keyway also has to b cut on the in the new wheel adaptor & it also has to go over a 3/4 axle.. all GT have a 1 inch axle..

#30 ·
ummmm ok While I am not disagreeing with you, this is the first time ever I have seen that ALL GTs have a 1" axle. You also say a GT requires bolts for the wheels rather than studs with nuts. Am I to assume the tires on all my cars and trucks are about to fall off?

#32 ·
The gizmo that you showed is not included in the factory build of the unit...that is what I think I and others understood..... they could confuse someone looking at a tractor with them....but no one said that anyone's tires were going to come off..it is simply pointed out that this is the way tractors are designed and built
Here is another converter from slide on to actual bolt on https://www.millertire.com/products/wheels/lawn-garden/4-bolt-hub-fits-1-axle-with-1-4-keyway/
But it is only a 4 bolt pattern and for a 1" axle with a keyway

#33 ·
i think we need to ground ourselves and ask the OP... "why do you ask"?
are you looking to make a purchase decision?.... if that's the case, we need to ask a few questions.. such as: what's in store for your new tractor.

one thing for sure.... it is NOT just the transmission... and NOT just the frame that differentiates GTs from LTs.

just like there isn't just "one thing" that differentiates a SUV from a Pickup Truck..... and yes you can find examples where an SUV is actually heavier-duty than some kind of pickup truck... ie some LT's (from the good 'ol days), are heavier duty than some of today's GTs.....

It's not a 1 or 0 answer....

#34 · (Edited)
Looks like the old ones are in a world of there own. You don't just mow with the so called "LT's". There are small attachments and large attachments, including carts, wagons, big rollers and little rollers, etc, etc. Johnny buckets can be put on a LT. There are tow-behind tillers for LT's. A 36" disc can be used without a sleeve hitch, rig up a hitch. Broken up ground is easy to work with a 36" disc that only covers 28" of ground surface. So the only difference I am beginning to see is pulling a plow. But then many "GT's", not all, need lots of weight added to pull them. So what I have learned here since becoming a member here is the type of work and uses are about the same. You either do it with a bigger tractor or a little tractor. Just like farm tractors. You have little farm tractors and you have bigger farm tractors. They all do the same type of work. However you can't pull a chisel plow with a little farm tractor but can with a bigger farm tractor. So it looks to me there are no LT's, they are all GT's, just different sizes. Thanks for all the ideas and opinions!

#35 ·
The real answer is pulling weight on rear axle and Garden tractors have lower gearing. Even if its hydro-stat, the lower range on GT's make pulling heavier loads possible at slower top speeds. But essentially at the lt/gt it doesn't matter too much. If you want to mow your lawn fast, Lawn tractor. If you want o mow your lawn and plow at the same time while pulling a cart, a garden tractor is better. Plus They are all small motors at that point, so thy can be made into or out of anything.

#36 · (Edited)
I think you missed the point(s).

"...So it looks to me there are no LT's, they are all GT's, just different sizes....": Nope. There is a difference. Just not a crystal clear boundary between them.
"...They all do the same type of work...": Nope. Some work an LT just can't do no matter how hard you try
"...type of work and uses are about the same...": Nope. I do certain work with a GT, that is clearly not the same as the work I do with my LT.
"...Broken up ground is easy to work with a 36" disc that only covers 28" of ground surface...": Nope. Not easy at all. An LT - if it could even pull that disc, would not do so for very long... maybe not at all.. maybe weeks or months, but certainly not for "years"
"...Johnny buckets can be put on a LT...": yes it can.... Using it is whole different story... do so until you break your front axle. Been there.. done that on my LT... TWICE!... unless you're moving piles of styrofoam popcorn... or maybe a 40lb bag of wood chips.....
"...You don't just mow with the so called "LT's"....": Actually yea... you should just mow with an LT....

You can lift an LT with the FEL on the front of a GT and take it for a ride around the yard.... try that with a johnny bucket....

A K46 transmission (used on most LTs), can provide 170 ft-lbs of torque. On a 22" wheel, that 185lbs of pulling force. I could keep that tractor from moving just by hanging onto it with my hands, and a good foot-hold. Unless you work out, you can lift 185lbs at close to your limit... so go pull a 36" disc by hand, see how far you get by hand.... If you can do that "easily" than I guess so can your K46. If you can't at all... then I guess you have an answer about what an LT can do.
Of course, disc'ing sand doesnt count.

#38 ·
I like what u said.. all true points.. A LT is just a lawn tractor..

#56 ·
JD used to list all lawn and garden tractors under the general heading "Riding Lawn Mowers" on their web site, now it looks like they changed to "Lawn Tractors" for the page title, but the actual page heading at the top of the tab says "Lawn Tractors | Riding Lawn Mowers | John Deere US".

Lawn Tractors | Riding Lawn Mowers | John Deere US

#58 ·
Guessing their just referencing the style rather than function now. Not many ppl garden anymore but they do mow/piddle in/pull carts on their lawns hence "lawn tractor". With so many roadside produce stands and farmer's mkts. around here there is really no need to garden unless you just enjoy it. Our family gardened for years but after my parents and sister passed then my brother moved to VA the wife and I started container gardening on the patio (mainly tomatoes & peppers) but haven't even done that for the past few years. A retired couple behind us grows all kinds of veggies, they even make cane syrup, then they set up a really big stand in town so we buy what we want from them. Caught up on "honey do list" and too wet outside so just blabbering...lol.

#59 · (Edited)
We have every dealership there is within 20 miles in every direction. Then on from there. You wouldn't have any trouble getting a new tractor here. Yes, it's really handy when everyone else is growing the stuff. We have maple syrup, lots of honey, and sorghum-molasses around here. I always found it hard to grow stuff in containers. My "honey do list" never ends, especially with txt.

#65 ·
So why all the interest in what they are called?

The bottom line is, did what you get do the job you wanted to do. (without breaking)

If you are just going to cut grass and play in the yard, get a light weight cheapo,
if you need to do some work, (ground contact), you need more mass and spend more $$.

Done deal.

#67 ·
What I said about half way through this thread was they are all tractors, big and little. Looks like all are GT's just different levels. Multiple attachments, just different versions, but can't plow with the little ones though. A tow-behind tiller can be used with a small tractor, as well as a small disc, that pretty much covers it. (Looks like about 11-12 similar attachments between them)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.