My Tractor Forum banner

Looking for a new mower

5K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  Long02 
#1 ·
I have come across a couple different mowers that caught my eye on the local Craigslist. The first one is this LT190 for $525.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/d/boone-john-deere-lawnmower-lawn-mower/6861505150.html

My Dad has an LT180 that has over 700 hours on it and he's never had a problem with it. This one for $525 looks like a steal even if there are a few cosmetic issues.

Next one I came across is this 2018 E150.

https://fortdodge.craigslist.org/grd/d/farnhamville-2018-john-deere-e150-lawn/6861876515.html

The E-Series is the "chain store" series, correct? Have these gotten better in the last few years? I have looked into buying a new E-Series from the dealer as well. Are they any different than the chain stores?

Any info and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
#3 ·
The main worry with the LT is the T40/K46 trans. The motors are great. That was the most popular commercial zero turn motor back in it's day. If the unit hasn't been abused I would take it over any L100 / LA / D / E unit just for the Kawasaki motor. The LTs are a pain to work on because the fenderdeck is welded to the frame.

The E you buy at Lowes or a dealer are the same.

#6 ·
Did you call about the one I mentioned in post# 2.........I'm sure you could get that for a $1000 or less.

#10 · (Edited)
Look at page 2-33 in this link.
https://www.slideshare.net/jsemfnksjfmf/john-deere-265-lawn-and-garden-tractor-service-repair-manual

John Deere 265 is hydro, a John Deere 260 is geared.

on a Jd265, you set the throttle to full throttle on the dash, then you have a lever next to the deck lift for going forward and reverse..........there is also a indent place for neutral when starting the tractor........It's fun and a breeze to drive. Turns tight corners too.

That foot pedal you see is only for setting the brake and emergency stops......use the lever to put it back into neutral will stop the tractor.

I agree with a hand hydro on the dash sucks but this hydro lever is in the perfect spot right along side the seat on the fender. Right where your arms rests anyway. You only really need one hand to steer this tractor the steering is so good.

If the above mower is close to where you live and still available it's worth a go look see.

#11 ·
I had a backup 265 I sold for $750 couple years ago. Kinda wish I kept it. The guy drove a hour and a half for it. Said he had a GX at home and needed mower for lake house.

#12 ·
Just got off my X495 with Buford Bucket spreading some mulch........Still wish I would have kept my JD265, it was really fun to drive.

#18 ·
Yeah, I’d want a foot hydro as that’s what I’m used to using and find it easier to use than anything by hand.

For a used unit I’d want to stick under $1000. If buying new I’ll obviously spend more. Both Cub Cadet and John Deere offer 0% financing that I’d take advantage of.

#20 ·
Thought the same as you until I got a Jd265........the hand hydro where it is positioned on the tractor was so easy to use and comfortable it was unbelieveable. Don't knock until you try that tractor.

#19 ·
I didn't realize financing was an option for you; in that case go buy yourself one of those Hustler raptors with the flip up deck

#23 ·
I agree with everyone about the hydro lever, I have a 320 which is the big brother to the 265.

The lever is easy to control and your hand kinda naturally goes to it. Also I've owned the 320 for 15 years and only had to do regular maintenance with the exception of a idler pulley bearing on the deck and the front tires went bald. So they are pretty solid machines from my experience.

I bought some property couple years ago and I bought a bigger machine (x475) late last summer so I will listing the 320 on craigslist here in a few weeks. Kinda sad to let it go but it's a bit too small for my needs now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Hand hydro on the fender is super easy to get used to and even awesome to operate. I have no preference between it and foot pedals. DO NOT buy a box store model mower if you have anything more than .5 acre of lawn to mow. They are all, regardless of paint color or brand, junk. I'd much rather buy a 1000 hour (which isn't that bad) machine with 10-25+ years on it than a new throw away piece of trash. 3-5 seasons and it will need replaced or extensive repairs that will cost as or near as much as replacement.

#25 ·
hand hydro on the fender is super easy to get used to and even awesome to operate. I have no preference between it and foot pedals. Do not buy a box store model mower if you have anything more than .5 acre of lawn to mow. They are all, regardless of paint color or brand, junk. I'd much rather buy a 1000 hour (which isn't that bad) machine with 10-25+ years on it than a new throw away piece of trash. 3-5 seasons and it will need replaced or extensive repairs that will cost as or near as much as replacement.
x10

#30 ·
Your post starts out looking for a mower and you are considering a lawn tractor. I'd implore you to consider a garden tractor for your mowing needs. They are so much better built! With a lawn tractor, at some point, you'll find yourself doing something that strains it and transmissions are so much weaker on these units. Even lawns have inclines that strain the LT's. It's always better to have more than you need rather than not quite enough. If your rear wheels don't bolt on, you don't have a garden tractor. Today's LT's have horse power ratings in the 20's. You don't need that much HP. We had a horsepower race the last 20 years. Forty years ago, my dad had craftsman mowers with as little as six or 8 hp and they mowed well. I remember one of them had three blades! He died in '92 and the mower he was using at that time had 12 hp.

Look at the frame, quality of the deck (thickness), zirk fittings for the spindles and quality of the engine. Kohler is a great company, but don't get a Kohler Courage!!!!

Buying used, keep in mind that if something breaks, it can be fixed. Test it well......not just a two minute drive! Take a knowledgeable friend with you.

You may spend more than you've planned on, but after six months of happiness, you'll forget about the dollars!

#31 ·
So I have been chatting with 830King a little through PM about his 320. I have also reached out on the 265 posted in here by Jimbochap but have not heard anything back just yet.

I used to have an LX188 so these next two caught my eye as well.

https://rmn.craigslist.org/grd/d/pine-island-john-deere-lx-deck/6869603970.html

https://waterloo.craigslist.org/grd/d/waverly-1996-john-deere-lx178/6869751642.html

These are both within a couple of hours of me. The LX178 with blower would be nice and I could get rid of my crappy snow blower I currently have. If I could get either of these for around $1000 would that be a decent deal? I'd think the LX188 could be had for less though.

I am still considering a new CC XT2 or the JD S240 though. I was informed by my local JD dealer that starting in May they will be offering $200 off the S240.

One other thing that I MAY want to do in the future is have the ability to move my jetskis around on their double trailer. I know the K46 trans would die, but what about the K61 in the LX's or the Sundstrand BDU-21 in the 265/320? I am thinking it would be easier to maneuver them into my tight garage space and not have to man handle the trailer with another person. The ski's weigh about 750 lbs. a piece and the trailer can't be too much.

I know I am kind of all over with what I want and I apologize for that. I greatly appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I end up with something soon.

#33 ·
I would not be afraid of either of these two especially, being a liquid cooled, as long as you can surmise that they have less than a 800 hours on them.

I say 800 hours because, even though that motor will last well beyond that if it was cared for, other things on that mower will need replaced at that point or sooner.

A liquid-cooled motor will Outlast a lot of the other things on a tractor like that.

Ask them things like: did you buy it new, what year did you buy it, how big is your yard, how long did it take to cut it, did you mow any other yards with a besides yours.

Then do some basic math and you can figure out how many hours they have on them even though they probably don't have hour meters.

I agree with mowerGene, that having one with a snow blower would be awesome. I would snag that thing as soon as I could if I find out it has less than 800 hour. Liquid-cooled Kawasaki is the bomb.

#32 ·
I own a '94 LX178 and the transmission is tough! The one you're looking at looks clean. It also has a good price on it with the blower.

#37 ·
OP should look for a GT235. K71 tranny, so plenty of pulling power for hills and trailers. 18 hp Kawasaki or B&S Vanguard engine (depends on year model). Manual lift, no PS, nominal deck is 48" but can handle a 54". They can be had for $1500 in good shape. They have 3 belts, foot operated hydro, can take a sleeve hitch and some front attachments. They are a great all-around, basic garden tractor. I bought mine new in 2002 (B&S Vanguard engine), it has around 1000 hours on it and all I've ever done is change the oil and filters, replace a couple of belts and the battery, and finally put new front tires on it (old ones weather cracked the sidewalls and one wouldn't hold air). For 6 years I mowed 3+ acres with it, before buying my X748 and selling the Yanmar tractor I also had. It now lives a life of relative boredom at my Mom's house, where it cuts less than 1/4 acre during the spring and summer. It can sit for a month, and fires right up, never failed me.

Attachments

#38 ·
My dad sold JD from 1983-2015. While he mostly sold field equipment, He said the GT225 & GT235 were two of the most sold models of garden tractors ever for them. They hit a fantastic price point, and while they don't have all the features, they are about perfect for budget minded home owner that need more capability than a basic lawn tractor.

#43 ·
Another vote for the GT235. That’s what I wanted before I stumbled upon my GX345 by accident. Actually, if you’re willing to spend money on a S240, get yourself a GX345 and never buy another tractor again.

I’d also not worry so much about hours as I would condition. I’ve got over 800 on my GX and it’s great, but I just picked up a 48” deck from a guy with a 360 hour GT that looked like it had 1360 hours.

#44 ·
I’d also not worry so much about hours as I would condition. I’ve got over 800 on my GX and it’s great, but I just picked up a 48” deck from a guy with a 360 hour GT that looked like it had 1360 hours.
Some people live by the hours when buying. I’ve seen more than one 1000 hour LX, GT or LT start, runs and mow great. I have also seen 500 hour machines not much more than parts machines. I had a LT180 with 1200 hours you would never have known unless you looked at hour meter.

The hour meter is a guide.

#45 ·
So, I still have not bought anything. Finally mowed my yard for the first time yesterday and used my Dad's LT180. I need to find something ASAP though at this point.

I have been looking for a GT235 and came across this one within a couple hours of me.

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/lawn-and-garden/2002/john-deere/gt235/19708433

Seems like a low hour unit for the year.

I am sure a lower end unit would suffice but if I can spend a little less and get a much better mower (although used) I think that's the way I am leaning.

#46 ·
That looks like a nice machine. If the yard isn't big and all they did was cut grass, then the hours are believable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#50 ·
Well, the GT235 sold before I could go look at it. I have been on the hunt for something else and came across a few LX280's and X320's. How good are the K58 and K62 transmissions? Beefy enough to handle a potential snow thrower or blade? Once again, mowing is my main priority but would possibly get a snow removal setup at some point.

I'll list out the ones I found if anyone cares to take a look and give me some thoughts.

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/grd/d/canton-john-deere-lx-280-twin-18hp/6873915760.html - LX280, 4 hours away but looks extremely clean and comes with a blade, 341 hours, $2100 OBO

https://dubuque.craigslist.org/grd/d/peosta-john-deere-lx280/6875737754.html - LX280, 3 hours away, no attachments, 333 hours, $2100.

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/grd/d/cedar-rapids-john-deere-lx280-all-wheel/6877711132.html - LX280, 2 hours away, no attachments, all wheel steer, hood is cracked, 360 hours, $1250

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/d/des-moines-john-deere-x320-garden/6883091495.html - X320, 30 mins away, no attachments, looks nice, 658 hours, $1775

https://quadcities.craigslist.org/grd/d/tipton-2008-john-deere-x320-lawn-tractor/6866122899.html - X320, 2 hours away, no attachments, 42" mulching deck, 388 hours, $1800

I really need to pull the trigger on something in the next week. If it's not a used unit I will likely go buy a Cub Cadet XT2 46 as I feel I'd get more for my money opposed to a new JD S240. I wouldn't be using any attachments with these though due to the K46 trans.

If anyone sees anything else out there around my area that would be worth the money then by all means let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.