MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information - View Single Post - Battery Powered Trimmers
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Tinker'N
Green is where it's at.

Barn
Re: Battery Powered Trimmers

I'll be interested in hearing the longevity of the DeWalt string trimmer.
I'm on 3 platforms for various cordless tools ~ DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee.
I have a 20v DeWalt hedge trimmer that I picked up a summer or so back after retiring my old corded trimmer. I like it but I don't love it. It works better than my old corded one for sure, but what I don't like about it is the lack of trigger lock on it. I have a bush in the corner of a fence that I awkwardly have to trim and I quickly realized how sucky it is w/out that trigger lock like my old corded one was equipped with. Had I known that, I would have passed on the DeWalt 20v trimmer. If I find that either of the other 2 have a cordless unit w/a trigger lock (haven't had time to look) the DeWalt will be put up for sale.

At any rate, while a battery powered hedge trimmer is all I need for the hedges I use it for, I'm not sure on a cordless string trimmer. I currently have a Stihl 2-stroke and when I use it, I'm hard on it. I use it for weed whipping and flip it over for edging too. It doesn't usually give me grief other than maybe the string breaking off to where I gotta stop and fix it a bit. Not a huge deal when it happens. I wish I had a buddy/neighbor close enough that had one or three battery powered units to test out around here to see how it would hold up at length though.

- LAWN-BOY -
'02 10550 Duraforce EZ stride
'98 10323 D-Monster RWD
'96 10401 19-in. F-Series 5.0 (WTB 10400)
'84 5253 19-in. F-series (soon 4-sale)

- CRAFTSMAN -
'15 Platinum Tall-Wheel Push 7.25 B&S OHV
?Yr Platinum Tall-Wheel Push (motor swapped beater)

- SNAPPER -
'13 RWD 175cc 7.75 B&S OHV (shanghai'd!)
- TORO -
'93-ish PowerThrow 622
'97 PowerThrow 824 XL

- STIHL -
BG 55 Blower
BG 86 C-E Blower
FS 70 R String Trimmer

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome