A few weeks ago I came across a 400-series hydraulic MCS (material collection system) located in PA. Since the leaf battle is about to start, and I've tried numerous methods to deal with this more efficiently, I felt the MCS deserved a look. I wrote about inspecting the system in this thread
. After making one trip to inspect, I decided the system was worth adapting to my x595. Worse case I could always resell it should the combination not work. So I drove back a few days later, loaded everything on to my trailer, and headed for home.
- After a minor cleaning, it was apparent that the unit was in far better shape than initial inspection revealed.
- The MCS lower brackets fit perfectly within the sides of the x595 frame, and the included upper mounting blocks bolted right on.
- Other than minor surface rust from scratches & scrapes, the frame is corrosion free and the hopper is free of cracks, etc.
- The lower of the two engine mounting pins was broken off.
- The included Peco deck boot was not close to fitting my 54c deck.
- The engine on/off switch was junk.
- The hydraulic connections were set up for a tractor with rear remotes.
- The fuel looked 7 years old.
Once I determined the unit would physically mate to my tractor, I set about making some modifications and doing some needed service:
- Changed the oil, cleaned the plug, cleaned the air cleaner.
- Replaced all fuel lines, clips & fuel.
- Replaced the on/off switch and wiring.
- Sourced a pair of hydraulic lines & required fittings to go straight from the MCS hydraulic splitters to the SCV.
- Cleaned the MCS, oiled any pivot points, and cleaned the stainless uprights.
- Reshaped the aluminum deck boot to fit my deck and created a plate with which to mount the boot.
- Removed broken engine mount bolt and welded on a new one.
- Created a turnbuckle arrangement to keep the engine oriented correctly.
- Removed the goofy "FULL" hopper device, cut the rusted & distorted blades off, cut & shaped new blades and welded those to the shaft. Cleaned, painted and reinstalled said goofy device.
- Moved my rear weight bracket to the front and hung 6 suitcase weights.
That's it for now. The unit operates perfectly and is ready for action. On to a few pics: