JD 170 & 175
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Re: hydro 175
The hydrostatic transmission is separate from the differential. Each is sealed and has separate fluids (heavier weight for the diff... the hydro uses motor oil).
Luckily, I have tech manual on my jump-drive.
Here's the short version...
Remove the mowing deck.
- replace drain plug
- fill with 0.7L (1.5 pt) of SAE 90 into upper fill plug (front of diff)
- oil should be a short distance below the fill hole
- replace fill plug
- clean off transmission to prevent contamination (requires removal of fender deck and fuel tank, etc.)
- drain (I assume there's a drain plug on the bottom)
- remove vent plug beside reservoir
- add new oil (SAE 30) until oil appears at vent
- rotate input & output shafts to release trapped air
- add more oil until oil reappears at vent
- reinstall vent plug
- fill to 140mm below reservoir top (full mark).
Good luck - JMJ
Last edited by johnjans; 03-30-2009 at 04:08 PM.