Well, before this goes too far, it's my fault. I had the tractor out last weekend and the oil light flashed a couple of times. I thought it funny and went back and parked it to check the oil, and something came up. I didn't check it and forgot about it. We park it in a nice clean garage and no fluids under it so I'm not sure where the oil went... The wife decided to mow and took it out and well, the rest is history....
While I am handy and do a lot of stuff myself, an engine swap is not something for me to take on. As Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force "A manís got to know his limitations"; I do......
So, here we are - - -
We have two properties about 2 miles apart. For several years I road the tractor back and forth between the two to get all the work done. I year ago a friend moved to Florida and gave me a deal on his 425AWS, so I now had two. Also in the back of the garage is a Craftsman rider that still cuts.
The "bad" 425 is at a shop I trust, and while they say there is little hope they will give it a try and see if they can free it up.
I also have a Johnny Bucket for the 425 that died.
So, here are my choices as I see them -
1. Buy a new engine from JD, if available. Haven't looked into this one much yet as i figure it will be pricey.
2. There is a guy on eBay selling "Remanufactured John Deere 425 445 Mule Gator Kawasaki FD620D Engine". Right now he shows 3 available, 7 sold. His reviews are 100% positive, but I can't find anything out about him so far. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exchange-Re...QAAOSwMWpc7t97
3. Look for a replacement 425. I love these things. There are some out there, still in the $3,000 range. But, very few AWS which I really like.
4. Scrap the bad 425. Move the hydraulics from the bad 425 to the good one so it can use the Johnny Bucket. Use the Craftsman at one property and if I need something more heavy duty at times drive the good 425 down.
5. Look for something new/newer. A JD or Kubota sub-compact that would take the Johnny Bucket
6. Look for something new/newer with a real FEL
So many choices.....