X354 K46 upgrade path ? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
X354 K46 upgrade path ?

So, Im debating bringing my x354 back with 3 hours on it and trading up.

Issue is, I don't need anything even as big as the X354 except for the ability to tow a trailer or two from the rear yard to the driveway.
One of the trailers is a dual axle and weighs about 2,000 lbs empty.
The other I "could" move by hand, but know I would feel it the next day.

Im on 100% flat ground, and the heavy trailer needs only to be moved 10' through a double gated fence to the rear of my driveway.
I expect total pull time to be less than 3-5 min at most.

Now, i know about the K46 issue....
I see JD sells the X584 with AWS and it comes with the K72.
Wondering if locating a used but not abused K72 might be an option.

Also learned that the X3xx uses the same frame as the X5xx, but has a different hitch plate.
Aside from 1" axle (New rims) imagine this may be my best path, but since I have been wrong
probably 50 times today, figure I should ask the fine folks here if what Im thinking about even makes sense..
Ghoops is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 02:39 AM
2000 Posts and climbing!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,151
Barn
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

I would suggest maybe getting a zero turn or tractor that can do the mowing, or stay with your current unit, and make a little dolly to move the trailers around (say, a hitch ball on a little pyramid, with 3 or 4 offroad caster wheels, with 2 arms attaching the dolly to your unit (so the dolly stays in the same place behind the tractor, makes backing up easier), so the tractor is only responsible for moving/stopping the trailer, not carrying any weight of the trailer.

Or just buy/build a motorized trailer dolly (like this one: https://www.proud-canadian.com/diy-power-trailer-dolly/)

Either solution will be cheaper and about the same or better than buying a bigger tractor just to move trailers around every once in awhile...
dave_r is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 07:18 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
summers5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 388
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

If you decide to do the upgrade do it before your 30d promise is up. You'll take a huge loss upgrading done after. You never know what your future may hold never hurts to have a little more tractor than what you may need many here buy 1 step up from what they need just for some future proofing.

1997 Sears GT 18.5hp"Kohler Magnum"
SplitFire Plugs
46" Deck
Led tail lites
Electric deck-hitch kit
Sears grader blade
Ag-Fab Spreaderare
46" 2 stage SnowBlower 55w lites
Weights and chain
------------------
2005 JD X485 25hp(SOLD)
------------------
2008 Echo-SRM230 Trimmer 22.8cc
2010 Echo-PB500T Blower 50.8cc
------------------
2007 JD X748SE
54" Edge Deck
3 Point(Ruegg)Hitch Cat1
54" 4way Blade
Yanmar 3TNV76 1116cc 24hp
JD 45 Loader
Heavy Hitch
Front pto
summers5 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 AM
3K Poster!!!!
 
c5rulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 3,067
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

What kind of tongue weight are you talking on the big trailer?

I moved my 2,000# 18' equipment trailer with an ATV and it really made the rear end squat and you could feel it in low range. The X758 moves the trailer quite easily but that may be a bigger step up than you are willing to go?

John Deere 2305, 62" deck, &47" snowblower.

JD X758 60" HC deck

Simplicity Conquest, 50" w/turbo bagger

Husqvarna , OE Tree Monkeyed 346XP, 346XP ported, 357XP x 2, 562XPG, 372XPG ported, 288XP Lite ported, 395XP
Dolmar 7900
Jonsered 2159 ported
Echo CS303T
Echo PPT 266
Stihl 028 super, rebuilt and ported
Echo PPT-266 pole saw
Iron & Oak Commercial w/ log lift, hydro 4 way
Silvey 510
Oregon 511AX
Nielsen 100B for rakers
F250 8' box, 18' trailer w/5200 axels
c5rulz is online now  
post #5 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Exchange Moderator
 
Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kane County,IL
Posts: 14,901
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoops View Post
So, Im debating bringing my x354 back with 3 hours on it and trading up.

Issue is, I don't need anything even as big as the X354 except for the ability to tow a trailer or two from the rear yard to the driveway.
One of the trailers is a dual axle and weighs about 2,000 lbs empty.
The other I "could" move by hand, but know I would feel it the next day.

Im on 100% flat ground, and the heavy trailer needs only to be moved 10' through a double gated fence to the rear of my driveway.
I expect total pull time to be less than 3-5 min at most.

Now, i know about the K46 issue....
I see JD sells the X584 with AWS and it comes with the K72.
Wondering if locating a used but not abused K72 might be an option.

Also learned that the X3xx uses the same frame as the X5xx, but has a different hitch plate.
Aside from 1" axle (New rims) imagine this may be my best path, but since I have been wrong
probably 50 times today, figure I should ask the fine folks here if what Im thinking about even makes sense..
What state are You Located In?

John Deere Models: 2025R TLB,X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3 GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
Ingersoll Model:3016PS
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055



MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

Long Island, NY
Ghoops is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers5 View Post
If you decide to do the upgrade do it before your 30d promise is up. You'll take a huge loss upgrading done after. You never know what your future may hold never hurts to have a little more tractor than what you may need many here buy 1 step up from what they need just for some future proofing.
Im gonna call them today, was never told about a 30d promise, go figure!
Ghoops is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5rulz View Post
What kind of tongue weight are you talking on the big trailer?

I moved my 2,000# 18' equipment trailer with an ATV and it really made the rear end squat and you could feel it in low range. The X758 moves the trailer quite easily but that may be a bigger step up than you are willing to go?[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mytractorforum.com/images/MyTractorForum_toucan//smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
Toung i believe is 200 lbs or so, unloaded of course... and that step up is near 4k more! Willing to go half of that, but for 4 k, id rather wreck the rear lawn driving my pickup back there!
Ghoops is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_r View Post
I would suggest maybe getting a zero turn or tractor that can do the mowing, or stay with your current unit, and make a little dolly to move the trailers around (say, a hitch ball on a little pyramid, with 3 or 4 offroad caster wheels, with 2 arms attaching the dolly to your unit (so the dolly stays in the same place behind the tractor, makes backing up easier), so the tractor is only responsible for moving/stopping the trailer, not carrying any weight of the trailer.

Or just buy/build a motorized trailer dolly (like this one: https://www.proud-canadian.com/diy-power-trailer-dolly/)

Either solution will be cheaper and about the same or better than buying a bigger tractor just to move trailers around every once in awhile...
I actually thought about that a year ago, but couldn't find anything that I thought was a worthwhile endeavor. I will revist this and the links you provided.. one plus to the upgrade, we plan on selling for a more rural location in a few years, kinda killing two birds now by upping its pulling
Ghoops is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 05:04 PM
3K Poster!!!!
 
c5rulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 3,067
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoops View Post
Toung i believe is 200 lbs or so, unloaded of course... and that step up is near 4k more! Willing to go half of that, but for 4 k, id rather wreck the rear lawn driving my pickup back there!
You apparently haven't price X758's.

John Deere 2305, 62" deck, &47" snowblower.

JD X758 60" HC deck

Simplicity Conquest, 50" w/turbo bagger

Husqvarna , OE Tree Monkeyed 346XP, 346XP ported, 357XP x 2, 562XPG, 372XPG ported, 288XP Lite ported, 395XP
Dolmar 7900
Jonsered 2159 ported
Echo CS303T
Echo PPT 266
Stihl 028 super, rebuilt and ported
Echo PPT-266 pole saw
Iron & Oak Commercial w/ log lift, hydro 4 way
Silvey 510
Oregon 511AX
Nielsen 100B for rakers
F250 8' box, 18' trailer w/5200 axels
c5rulz is online now  
post #11 of 28 Old 05-28-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5rulz View Post
You apparently haven't price X758's.
I could imagine!
I was looking at the X5xx's online,
Had I not sprung for a toy or two last year (For my son), and had I not spent buku smakaroo's for two trips to the hospital 3 months ago,
Id either be dead or able to write the **** check without caring....
I guess both ways I wouldn't care, but I know I had the best hand to be delt there was.
Ghoops is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 AM
JD X585 owner
 
gtunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Hampden County, Western Massachusetts
Posts: 487
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoops View Post
Toung i believe is 200 lbs or so, unloaded of course... and that step up is near 4k more! Willing to go half of that, but for 4 k, id rather wreck the rear lawn driving my pickup back there!
Ghoops, how often are you moving the trailers and how soft is the ground in your back yard? I don't think using your truck is going to cause any harm to your lawn if you are occasionally driving back there. We take our truck into our backyard to move wood a few times a year and there is no harm done.

My toys
2002 JD X585
45 Loader, 47 Blower, 54C Deck, 14 Bushel bagger & Power Flow, 13 Steel Dump Cart, JD Front Mount Thatcher, 36" steel roller, Ohio Steel 42CP Aerator

2003 New Holland TC29D
Technically the TC29 is my Dad's and lives with him 6 miles from me. I own the backhoe unit since that's the 1/3rd I paid for as I insisted he would want/need it eventually.

Previous
2005 JD L118 Lawn Tractor (sold 21 Feb 2016)
gtunney is online now  
post #13 of 28 Old 05-29-2019, 02:21 PM
3K Poster!!!!
 
inspectorudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Re: X354 K46 upgrade path ?

If you are only talking about 10 to 20 feet of grass to get to the trailer, why not go to Home Depot and get some of their pavers and put them down. It wouldn't be that expensive especially if you made tire strips instead of solid pavers. Almost any small tractor could put that trailer on hard pavement.
inspectorudy is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Country1966?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
If you are only talking about 10 to 20 feet of grass to get to the trailer, why not go to Home Depot and get some of their pavers and put them down. It wouldn't be that expensive especially if you made tire strips instead of solid pavers. Almost any small tractor could put that trailer on hard pavement.
Yeah I was thinking this too; or gravel. I cut in a drive back to my barn and park my trailer back there.

Then you have top soil for other things.
Country1966? is online now  
post #15 of 28 Old 05-29-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
If you are only talking about 10 to 20 feet of grass to get to the trailer, why not go to Home Depot and get some of their pavers and put them down......Almost any small tractor could put that trailer on hard pavement.
Because Im particular, lol.. I like the enclosed trailer doors facing my bedroom window so if I hear anything at night i can see them clearly, that means pulling in the yard a ways and backing the trailer to within 6'-8' of the fence next to the double gates.
The gates can swing wide open, i still have 10 plus feet of opening, to say pull the smaller trailer in or out as well. to pull it out big momma id have to pull a 180.. easy with the right setup, really tough with my truck. And i have to worry about sprinklers, and if the ground is even a hair moist, i would see the tire tracks from a truck for months..

I guess I just don't know how fragile the K46 is, or whats comfortable for the x354 yet...

Now wondering if maybe hop up the L100 for pulling only would be a possibility, maybe just selling it for the few bucks i could and picking up a less expensive much older with more pulling potential.

Too many routes, and my 30d promise is ticking away...
Ghoops is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (3 members and 2 guests)
Merc1973, RAO-3, ECONORAM



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome