My first John Deere - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
Thumbs up My first John Deere

Hello Everyone!

I just discovered this awesome site! So I wanted to share my Journey with my first John Deere Tractor.

Back in July, After deciding that I was sick of using a push mower to mow 1.3 acres. It took me around 4 hours to mow and it was wasting my life. So after that, I decided it was time to get a lawn tractor to do the job. After some research I decided to Go with a Brand New 2018 S240 with a rear bagger.



I had to wait a month to get one, my local JD Dealer couldn't keep them in stock! When it arrived I wasted no time putting her to the test! What took me 4 hours before now took me 1:15! And if I remove the rear bagger I can get it done in about 50 minutes!!

I'm in love with this tractor, I have big plans for it. But I do have some questions,
I'm at 11.1 hours so far and haven't done anything, I think I'm supposed to grease something and I read somewhere that around 5 hours I need to do a oil change??

1. Is there a maintenance list that I can follow for a new tractor? (like what to do at different hour marks?)
2. I was thinking about next year getting a 17P cart, would the S240 be able to pull it when loaded? (I'm not going to put 1000lbs in, just branches/mulch/stone)


As for plans, I plan on getting a Snowblower at the end of this month/early next month. Maybe a plow as well.
I also plan on either getting the enclose cab or just make a metal arch and put some LED lights and a amber beacon on it.

Next year I want to get a poly cart and a proper trailer so I can go over to my dad's and mow for him

I'm in love with my tractor and can't wait to spend more time in it, I'll post some more pics when I get me Snowblower!
John_Deerer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 02:14 AM
Tech Exchange Moderator
 
Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kane County,IL
Posts: 15,096
Re: My first John Deere

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deerer View Post
Hello Everyone!

I just discovered this awesome site! So I wanted to share my Journey with my first John Deere Tractor.

Back in July, After deciding that I was sick of using a push mower to mow 1.3 acres. It took me around 4 hours to mow and it was wasting my life. So after that, I decided it was time to get a lawn tractor to do the job. After some research I decided to Go with a Brand New 2018 S240 with a rear bagger.



I had to wait a month to get one, my local JD Dealer couldn't keep them in stock! When it arrived I wasted no time putting her to the test! What took me 4 hours before now took me 1:15! And if I remove the rear bagger I can get it done in about 50 minutes!!

I'm in love with this tractor, I have big plans for it. But I do have some questions,
I'm at 11.1 hours so far and haven't done anything, I think I'm supposed to grease something and I read somewhere that around 5 hours I need to do a oil change??

1. Is there a maintenance list that I can follow for a new tractor? (like what to do at different hour marks?)
2. I was thinking about next year getting a 17P cart, would the S240 be able to pull it when loaded? (I'm not going to put 1000lbs in, just branches/mulch/stone)


As for plans, I plan on getting a Snowblower at the end of this month/early next month. Maybe a plow as well.
I also plan on either getting the enclose cab or just make a metal arch and put some LED lights and a amber beacon on it.

Next year I want to get a poly cart and a proper trailer so I can go over to my dad's and mow for him

I'm in love with my tractor and can't wait to spend more time in it, I'll post some more pics when I get me Snowblower!
BTW Welcome to the Forum
Invest In the electric Lift for the snow Blower https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...r-LP68150.html It is well worth the Investment. Save your arm now so your not paying for it later In life
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-11-20 John Deere Electric Lift Kit 100 S240 Series with 700AM Snow Blower - LP68.png
Views:	52
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	2347695  

John Deere Models: 2025R TLB,X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3 GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
Ingersoll Model:3016PS
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055



MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 05:38 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
jerryh20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 673
Barn
Re: My first John Deere

your owners manual will have all the service info. best to keep it as clean as possible removing grass and dirt build up especially on engine and the top of the deck. watch seat time you tube made by roy rector to appreciate all the equipment he uses. Congratulations, Welcome to the site.
jerryh20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 06:01 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
mikgran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: So. Maine
Posts: 1,814
Re: My first John Deere

Congrats on the new S240.

To echo Jerryh20, with your shiny new tractor beside you, sit down and give the owner’s manual a thorough reading. It will eliminate a lot of questions.

As far as the cart goes, the consensus is usually ‘bigger is better”’ however you may also consider a 10P cart with side racks. The smaller cart is easier on the tractor, and side racks will allow for more capacity with light brush loads.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Brinly-...item4d7cacd849

2004 X485- 54 deck, 47 blower
1977 210
1970 110H
1991 Ariens YT12H w/bagger
1986 Kubota B7200HST
mikgran is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 AM
MTF Junior Poster
 
Paul Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NH
Posts: 19
Re: My first John Deere

Congrats and welcome

Sent using Tapatalk.
Paul Roy is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
dom418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 128
Re: My first John Deere

Congratulations!
dom418 is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 AM
10,000 +posts!
 
Ericjr16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 10,327
Barn
Re: My first John Deere

Congrats and welcome! A snowthrower is a great investment as is a plow, depending on your needs might only need one! I love my JD with blower!

Challenge Met

John Deere 180 yard tug
John Deere LX172 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345 with snowthrower
1971 Bolens 1256 snow caster
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
Many more!! changing by the day!!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised!



.
Ericjr16 is online now  
post #8 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
DeereGate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 166
Re: My first John Deere

I'd suggest a nice Ariens snowblower instead of the JD one. I think that is going to disappoint you in snow depending on how much snow you get. If you do get it make sure to get all the wheel weights.

2017 x570 with 54" mower deck, cart, spreader, brush guard, sunshade
DeereGate is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
Re: My first John Deere

Thanks for all the replies and info, I might look into getting a electric lift kit but I have to see about funds due to the holidays.

i was thinking about the 10p cart, does anyone have any pics of the size of it?
John_Deerer is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 02:41 PM
MTF Junior Poster
 
Paul Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NH
Posts: 19
Re: My first John Deere

I took an old 4x8 trailer frame and made a yard trailer from it. You don't have to spend the money for a JD specific yard trailer if you don't want to. Or you can give JD your paychecks and buy all their branded extras. Up to you.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Paul Roy is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mass
Posts: 734
Re: My first John Deere

I recently came across the maintenance reminder sheets that Deere has and think it's a great way to keep it all together in case you don't keep the manual handy. Easy enough to print one sheet hand keep it near tractor or as a bookmark on the pc.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d...awnTractor.pdf

Me personally, I'd do an oil change probably after the first 5 or 10 hours. That's me though. After that I know I don't put 100/200 hours on the mower per year, but it gets at least one oil change per year.

2010 Deere X540: 54" mowing deck, 44" Snowblower, 7 bushel Power Flow bagger, Halogen headlights, Brush guard, Suitcase weights, LED tail lights, tow behind 25 gallon sprayer.
2013 Craftsman GT6000 - soon to be neighbors
2006 Cub Cadet GT1554 - Clueless buddies
2015 Cub Cadet XT2 - Dad's
BillBoost37 is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
Re: My first John Deere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37 View Post
I recently came across the maintenance reminder sheets that Deere has and think it's a great way to keep it all together in case you don't keep the manual handy. Easy enough to print one sheet hand keep it near tractor or as a bookmark on the pc.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d...awnTractor.pdf

Me personally, I'd do an oil change probably after the first 5 or 10 hours. That's me though. After that I know I don't put 100/200 hours on the mower per year, but it gets at least one oil change per year.
Thanks for the sheet!

I'll be sure to use it
John_Deerer is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mass
Posts: 734
Re: My first John Deere

Since you like that, you likely would also like to know about:

Old parts catalog
John Deere - Parts Catalog

New parts catalog (register to get an account)
https://partsadvisor.deere.com

Attachment manuals
John Deere Operator Manual | Parts & Services | John Deere US

Overall Tractor manuals by serial number
John Deere Operator Manual | Parts & Services | John Deere US

Enjoy

2010 Deere X540: 54" mowing deck, 44" Snowblower, 7 bushel Power Flow bagger, Halogen headlights, Brush guard, Suitcase weights, LED tail lights, tow behind 25 gallon sprayer.
2013 Craftsman GT6000 - soon to be neighbors
2006 Cub Cadet GT1554 - Clueless buddies
2015 Cub Cadet XT2 - Dad's
BillBoost37 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 06:28 PM
MTF Junior Poster
 
Paul Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NH
Posts: 19
Re: My first John Deere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBoost37 View Post
Since you like that, you likely would also like to know about:

Old parts catalog
John Deere - Parts Catalog

New parts catalog (register to get an account)
https://partsadvisor.deere.com

Attachment manuals
John Deere Operator Manual | Parts & Services | John Deere US

Overall Tractor manuals by serial number
John Deere Operator Manual | Parts & Services | John Deere US

Enjoy
Thank you for this

Sent using Tapatalk.
Paul Roy is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 11-20-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
Re: My first John Deere

Another Question

I was moving last wednesday trying to due a last mow before the snow we got (didn't finish ) and I had to mow in the dark at 6pm (daylight saving time) and while the lights are nice and I was able to mow in the dark. I was thinking about upgrading them to LEDs

1. If I upgrade to LEDs do I need to do anything special to covert over to LEDs?
2. Who sells LED bulbs for the S240?
3. I read the LEDs don't really improve that much due to the way the headlights are, the just shine out more instead of farther away. is this true?
John_Deerer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome