MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information - View Single Post - Mow
Thread: Mow
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 03-17-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
jdcrawler
Lindeman crawler fan

Re: Mow

The gear that the crane is mounted on needs to be about 2 inches in diameter and looking thru my stuff, I didn't have any gears that big.
So I got on ebay and found a plastic gear that is made for people that build robots.
It came in the mail yesterday and I collected the rest of the parts that I need and started working on mounting the crane to a flat car.

I've already cut the flat piece of brass to size for the base plate and drilled a hole in the center of it.
This piece will be soldered to the underside of the crane and the gear and pivot mount will be attached to it.
I found the round brass piece on the bottom left already machined with the shaft sticking up from the base and it will be the pedestal mount that will be fastened to the deck of the flat car.
The other piece of brass will be the pivot bushing that will be mounted to the flat base plate.

The hole in the pivot bushing is drilled out to fit over the shaft on the pedestal.
One end of the bushing is then turned down to fit into the hole in the center of the base plate and the rest of the bushing is turned down so the gear fits onto it.

The bushing is soldered into the hole in the base plate.

The gear is set down over the bushing and fastened to the base plate with three small machine screws.

The pedestal fits into the bushing in the center of the gear.

At this point, the base plate is soldered onto the bottom of the crane.

I dug up a nice heavy duty flat car that someone had built back in the 40's or 50's and I'm going to mount the crane on one end of it.
The body of the flat car is made out of wood with an aluminum center frame.

The crane pedestal is positioned off center on the flat car so the deck area of the flat car sticks out past the side of the cab to make it easier for the operator to get in and out of the cab.
The screws that fasten the pedestal to the deck are positioned so they are threaded into the aluminum frame underneath.

One of the trucks on the flat car has steel wheels and the other truck has pot-metal wheels and they have started to disintegrate with age.

I took the truck apart and I'm replacing the pot-metal wheels with steel wheels that are the same age as the flat car.
Because my trans run on 2-rail track, at least one of the wheels on each axle has to be insulated.
Both insulated wheels have to be on the same side of the truck.

You can see a black mark on the center crosspiece, that mark means that side of the truck is insulated.
There is a mark right next to the insulated wheel on each axle so both of those wheels go to the side of the truck with the black mark on it.

Once the truck is mounted back on the aluminum frame, I have to make sure that both trucks have the insulated wheels on the same side.

With that all taken care of, I set the crane down on the pedestal to see how it looks.

Here you can see the area of the deck sticking out past the side of the cab.

The bottom of the gear has .020 clearance between it and the surface of the deck.

With the crane now mounted on the flat car, I can determine where to put the step to get up into the cab and also put a hand rail on the side of the cab in front of the door.

The base gear is almost as wide as the body of the crane, so the smaller gear that turns the base gear will be sticking out past the side of the crane.
Because of this, it needs to have a guard built around it and that is the next piece to build.

I took a section of brass angle and milled the center out of one side and it is formed to the radius of the base gear to form a flat guard panel with tabs to fasten it down to the deck of the flat car.
Then I took a piece of brass rod and machined it to fit up against the flat guard panel.

The two parts are soldered together to form a guard around the small gear and part of the base gear on either side of it.

This is fastened down on the deck of the flat car.

This is how it looks with the crane set back on the pedestal.

Ray

1945 John Deere Lindeman crawler ( modified )
1947 FMC Bean Cutler ( flat belt drive )
( 2 ) 1948 Bolens Ridemasters type #35AA01
1953 Bolens Ridemaster 35AB03 ( modified )
1937 Shaw Du-All tractor conversion
1939 Viking / Standard Twin
1962 Panzer model T70
"R/T" home made tractor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1aD1wn7yNE

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome