Diesel Power Discussion - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Trucks 2 Wheel Drive , 4 Wheel Drive, Big or Small

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 350 Old 11-19-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,950
Diesel Power Discussion


Are you one who lives for the smell of diesel on a cold morning? Perhaps you depend on one daily for your business. Maybe it's the raw and sinister torque that only a diesel could deliver that has had you hooked and you've grown into the diesel hobby on a recreational basis. Whatever it is, you've come to the right place for all general diesel discussions.

Please keep in mind that posts which include any brand bashing will either be edited or deleted. If you don't like it, don't share it! Let's keep this thread focused towards the enthusiasts' angle as much as possible so that we can all have a good time.

I'll start the thread off sharing that I drive '99 7.3 Ford Powerstroke with a 6 speed manual. I had always dreamed of owning a diesel truck all off my life. The sound they make, the power and longevity really intrigued me. I chose the truck I have now as it checked all the boxes of a particular configuration I was after. Being an older truck, it has nowhere near the bells are whistles of any of the modern common-rail diesels but that's one of the things I like about it best. It is noisy, a bit crude around the edges, and fairly simple.



I'm already wondering what my next diesel project will be down the road. Something tells me it will be a Cummins that is possibly a swap into something vintage.

So, let's see your diesel vehicle ,or, why you appreciate them.

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9




Last edited by Austen; 11-19-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Austen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 02:04 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
mytmouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MS.
Posts: 468
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

We just launched the next generation Titan Diesel. The Cummins in it is sooo quiet and it doesn't take long, a few seconds at most to start...
mytmouz is offline  
post #3 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Just passing through
 
Upper5Percent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VT, OH & ND
Posts: 8,419
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

A couple of my Duramax resting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1488345  

"You know, farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."
DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
Address at Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, 9/25/56
Upper5Percent is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Diesel Nut!
 
Diesel1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,358
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

Love ANYTHING diesel powered! Don't have a diesel truck YET but in the next few years I hope to build my dream truck. What is this beast you ask? A 73'-79' (Preferably 77') Ford F-250 Highboy, with a built 6.0 powerstroke in it. The 77' is the best because they were the only factory pickup truck to come with full hydraulic steering! I absolutely love this bodystyle. My plans for it would be to swap in 1 ton axles, from an 04' up, so it has the 170mm bolt pattern, drop in a built 600-800 hp Powerstroke, and put a built Suncoast 5 or 6 speed manual behind it! Wouldn't be a show truck, probably would spend its life mostly off-road, but cool none the less! As for newer trucks, even ones that HAD emissions crap, they can be pretty badazz too. My neighbor's buddy has a 2012 F-350 6.7 Powerstroke, that was BUILT and I mean BUILT! It dynos at 893 RW HP, and 1,400 ft. Lbs of torque! Top speed you ask? Fast enough that when he drives by everyday, I can't ever get a video of it. 163 mph is the highest he's gotten it to! The truck is sick! Only problems with it are the fact that he's snapped over 20 driveshafts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448113060623.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1488474   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448113074624.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1488482  

1971 Bolens 1455 w/TJD Wisconsin repower
1978 Toro Groundsmaster 72 Diesel w/72" Deck
1979 Jacobsen GT-12
1983 Toro Groundsmaster 327 w/72" Deck
1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/ 60" Plow
2002 Toro Groundsmaster 322-D
2003 Jacobsen Turfcat II w/ 60" Deck, 48" Snowblower
2003 F-2350 6.0 Diesel,Flatbed
Diesel1050 is offline  
post #5 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,950
Thumbs up Re: Diesel Power Discussion

Quote:
We just launched the next generation Titan Diesel. The Cummins in it is sooo quiet and it doesn't take long, a few seconds at most to start...
It's pretty cool to see diesel engines making their way into the 1500 series truck class.

Do you work for Cummins or Nissan?

Quote:
A couple of my Duramax resting...
Nice rigs! I'll bet that the flatbed is real handy.

Quote:
Love ANYTHING diesel powered!

...in the next few years I hope to build my dream truck. A 73'-79' (Preferably 77') Ford F-250 Highboy, with a built 6.0 powerstroke in it.
You and me both! Oh man, that would be an awesome build! When the day comes, be sure to post it here.

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9



Austen is offline  
post #6 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Doolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 308
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1050 View Post
Love ANYTHING diesel powered! Don't have a diesel truck YET but in the next few years I hope to build my dream truck. What is this beast you ask? A 73'-79' (Preferably 77') Ford F-250 Highboy, with a built 6.0 powerstroke in it. The 77' is the best because they were the only factory pickup truck to come with full hydraulic steering! I absolutely love this bodystyle. My plans for it would be to swap in 1 ton axles, from an 04' up, so it has the 170mm bolt pattern, drop in a built 600-800 hp Powerstroke, and put a built Suncoast 5 or 6 speed manual behind it! Wouldn't be a show truck, probably would spend its life mostly off-road, but cool none the less! As for newer trucks, even ones that HAD emissions crap, they can be pretty badazz too. My neighbor's buddy has a 2012 F-350 6.7 Powerstroke, that was BUILT and I mean BUILT! It dynos at 893 RW HP, and 1,400 ft. Lbs of torque! Top speed you ask? Fast enough that when he drives by everyday, I can't ever get a video of it. 163 mph is the highest he's gotten it to! The truck is sick! Only problems with it are the fact that he's snapped over 20 driveshafts!

Stay away from the 6.0l , 6.4 better , 6.7 best , with 6.0 you'll definitely get to know it inside out :/
Doolie is offline  
post #7 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Diesel Nut!
 
Diesel1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,358
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

I don't see why some people have issuse with the 6.0 and others don't. It would be bulletproofed long before it turned out 850 hp. The 6.4 had intercooler and computer problems and the 6.7 is insanely expensive to get all the emissions crap off, which is necessary if you want them to run good.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1971 Bolens 1455 w/TJD Wisconsin repower
1978 Toro Groundsmaster 72 Diesel w/72" Deck
1979 Jacobsen GT-12
1983 Toro Groundsmaster 327 w/72" Deck
1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/ 60" Plow
2002 Toro Groundsmaster 322-D
2003 Jacobsen Turfcat II w/ 60" Deck, 48" Snowblower
2003 F-2350 6.0 Diesel,Flatbed
Diesel1050 is offline  
post #8 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
990Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Somewhere, I guess?
Posts: 749
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

6.0s get too much bashing in my opinion, you see plenty of them around. I personally think a 6.9 would be cool in a truck of that vintage, but hey, its my opinion and its your truck, so do what you like with it! I'm part of that rare breed that prefers gas engines in pickups, but in anything larger, bring on the diesels!

Wouldn't mind building me an old 50s international COE powered by a 220 Cummins paired with a 5 speed and a 2 speed rear, it wouldn't be fast, but it'd look and sound cool and be fun to drive! Make a gooseneck hauler out of it. I like old diesels and old COEs. There's a roller that would be great for the build on ebay but it's way too far and too much money for a highschool kid.
990Guy is offline  
post #9 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Diesel Nut!
 
Diesel1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,358
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

They DID make factory highboys with the 6.9, reason i'd drop a 6.0 in there is A. Turbocharged, B. Easier to find parts for, and C. Much more available to mod them with!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1971 Bolens 1455 w/TJD Wisconsin repower
1978 Toro Groundsmaster 72 Diesel w/72" Deck
1979 Jacobsen GT-12
1983 Toro Groundsmaster 327 w/72" Deck
1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/ 60" Plow
2002 Toro Groundsmaster 322-D
2003 Jacobsen Turfcat II w/ 60" Deck, 48" Snowblower
2003 F-2350 6.0 Diesel,Flatbed
Diesel1050 is offline  
post #10 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Doolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 308
Diesel Power Discussion

2 of my buddies own 3 6.0's between them all 3 are parked with injector/ head gasket problems . All diesels are expensive to build , and they all have problems , just the 6.0 seems to have more than its fair share .
Doolie is offline  
post #11 of 350 Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Diesel Nut!
 
Diesel1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,358
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

That's why you bulletproof them. After that, no problems!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1971 Bolens 1455 w/TJD Wisconsin repower
1978 Toro Groundsmaster 72 Diesel w/72" Deck
1979 Jacobsen GT-12
1983 Toro Groundsmaster 327 w/72" Deck
1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/ 60" Plow
2002 Toro Groundsmaster 322-D
2003 Jacobsen Turfcat II w/ 60" Deck, 48" Snowblower
2003 F-2350 6.0 Diesel,Flatbed
Diesel1050 is offline  
post #12 of 350 Old 11-22-2015, 12:52 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minisnowta
Posts: 1,340
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

I get ribbed for the old 6.9 in my '83 F250 4x4 /4spd. But I love that thing. Someone along the way went through it top to bottom and did a right good job on it too. It doesn't miss a beat. Starts even in the dead of these hard MN winters, and has pulled anything I can hitch it up too. I even plow snow with it.
Vonrow is offline  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:14 AM
mytmouz
This message has been deleted by mytmouz.
post #13 of 350 Old 11-22-2015, 02:15 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
mytmouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MS.
Posts: 468
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
Do you work for Cummins or Nissan?
Nissan... At the plant where they are built...
mytmouz is offline  
post #14 of 350 Old 11-22-2015, 11:17 AM
15,000 +posts!
 
Tractor-Holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 19,348
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

I'd like to have a old chevy 4x4 with a Detroit Diesel stuffed in it,and a 5 (or more) speed manual transmission.....wouldn't mind if it were a '55-'57 Stepside,or a '60-'66 era truck,or the '67-72 and newer "square body" style..

Yeah,I know there'll be some remarks about how leaky,gutless,and environmentally unfriendly the old 2 cycle detroits were--but in my opinion they sound the best,out of all the different diesels ever built...and in a light truck,even the smallest 3 cylinder version would probably do well towing..

Check out this truck that was built not far from me ...I love the sound of this one....makes my old 6.2 sound like a stonecrusher.



Tractor-Holic is offline  
post #15 of 350 Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 6,950
Re: Diesel Power Discussion

Quote:
I get ribbed for the old 6.9 in my '83 F250 4x4 /4spd. But I love that thing. Someone along the way went through it top to bottom and did a right good job on it too. It doesn't miss a beat. Starts even in the dead of these hard MN winters, and has pulled anything I can hitch it up too. I even plow snow with it.
Nothing wrong with that at all, it sounds like a nice truck! I'm sure it's nearly indestructible.

Quote:
Nissan... At the plant where they are built...
Very cool!! It must be a very interesting and remarkable time in the companie's history to be there right now.

Quote:
I'd like to have a old chevy 4x4 with a Detroit Diesel stuffed in it,and a 5 (or more) speed manual transmission.....wouldn't mind if it were a '55-'57 Stepside,or a '60-'66 era truck,or the '67-72 and newer "square body" style..

Yeah,I know there'll be some remarks about how leaky,gutless,and environmentally unfriendly the old 2 cycle detroits were--but in my opinion they sound the best,out of all the different diesels ever built...and in a light truck,even the smallest 3 cylinder version would probably do well towing..

Check out this truck that was built not far from me ...I love the sound of this one....makes my old 6.2 sound like a stonecrusher.
That would be an awesome setup! You can't beat the unmistakable and very unique sound of a Detroit diesel.

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." - Luke 11:9



Austen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome